AMD "capsaicin" event at GDC-AMD launches the Radeon Pro Duo(FuryX2)

I know I already posted a topic on this. That thread will be the one about the event, and I will make this one the one about all the info that comes out. Chances are we will get a ton of info from Capsaicin so I didn't want to throw all the info onto that thread since that would make it the biggest thread ever that will take forever to read, so instead I am making this one so you won't need to read as much.

In case you don't know what I am talking about:

Here's a little refresher:

• AMD is hosting an event they call "capsaicin" at GDC (Game Developer's Conference) Monday March 14, 2016 (today as of March 14) at 4:00 P.M.
  • They have already teased that they will be showing off Polaris there, and we could glean some purty cool info about Polaris from this
  • It is highly rumored that AMD will launch the FuryX2, especially since both the vive and rift went on preorder recently and AMD said they were lining up the launch with the launch of VR headsets
  • I think that's it (correct me if wrong)

Also there have some rumors flying around that they will call the FuryX2 the Radeon Duo Pro, though I would take it with a grain of salt

As well, this is pretty recent, but: http://wccftech.com/amd-polaris-10-gpu-vr-demo-gdc-2016/

AMD has given us a hint at what they are going to be presenting at their Capsaicin event today at GDC 2016. From the looks of it, AMD’s event will put a main focus towards the VR market which is the key topic to be discussed by all developers this year at GDC and AMD will be showcasing new technologies and hardware that will help them secure lead in this key sector of the consumer driven tech industry. AMD will be presenting one of their Polaris GPUs known as Polaris 10 which will be demoed in the latest SteamVR benchmark from Valve. The event will be livestreamed here at 4:00 PM (PST).

It seems they will be presenting Polaris 10

EDIT: Forgot to mention they will be demoing it with a SteamVR benchmark. If they are doing that, it sounds to me like it will be a VR Ready part, and we know that Polaris 11>Polaris 10 and Polaris 11 will be about a 232 mmpart, so if you ask me that sounds like some pretty amazing hardware. Only time will tell.

[LAST UPDATE: March 14, 2016@5:14P.M. Pacific Time]I will be posting everything we learn here:

• AMD launched the dual Fiji monster, and it's called the radeon pro duo, and costs 1500 dollars! It is water cooled with a 120mm rad. It has 3 8pin pcie connectors and has 16 teraflops of compute power.
  • That GPU demoed at CES was Polaris 10. Polaris 10 and 11 will be launching this year, and Vega will be coming next year with HBM2. In 2018 we will be getting Navi
  • It is not certain what memory Polaris will get, though amd seemed to be saying Vega will be the first with hbm2 so it might have ggdr5/x or hbm-
  • Amd has said Navi will have "next gen memory"...  Something even more revolutionary than HBM? Sounds interesting..... As well,  they said it will have a extremely scalable architecture... Crap now I'm gonna be on the hook for another two years xD

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Subbed.

Looking forward, even as a team-green guy.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

12 minutes ago, Prysin said:

its like 8 hours until the fucking event

I know, but tbh I accidentally clicked the post button. I was planning on posting this in 4-5 hours but accidentally hit the space button which somehow posted it.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

AMD just made some outlandish claim that they own 83% of "addressable market for dedicated VR HMDs" and they name Jon Peddie as source

but ... I'll be damned if I find anything backing up their claim

---

and ps, in case people missed it: AMD is working with some tech company on a VR/AR wireless headset

yay .. more fragmentation, exactly what VR needs - NOT!

---

le: apparently, a huge chunk of that 83% comes from console market xD

Edited by zMeul

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

AMD just made some outlandish claim that they own 83% of "addressable market for dedicated VR HMDs" and they name Jon Peddie as source

---

and ps, in case people missed it: AMD is working with some tech company on a VR/AR wireless headset

Lol I saw that too on yahoo and I didn't understand any of it...

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Why can't they just man up and call the Fury X2 the "Fury MAXX"? Not that I'm going to buy one, but at least give it a cool name and not the "Radeon Duo Pro".

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

8 minutes ago, zMeul said:

---

Their youtube video about it is up, called Sulon I believe.

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

---

yay .. more fragmentation, exactly what VR needs - NOT!

---

le: apparently, a huge chunk of that 83% comes from console market xD

AMD has been the poste-boy for Occulus for a long time. Their LiquidVR SDK is pretty much taking the market by storm, ESPECIALLY the proffessional market.

3 minutes ago, Prysin said:

AMD has been the poste-boy for Occulus for a long time. Their LiquidVR SDK is pretty much taking the market by storm, ESPECIALLY the proffessional market.

AMD's Liquid VR just beats the crap out of Nvidia Gameworks VR. It's good too since Gameworks needs to die anyways.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Masada02 said:

Why can't they just man up and call the Fury X2 the "Fury MAXX"? Not that I'm going to buy one, but at least give it a cool name and not the "Radeon Duo Pro".

I personally don't think they will call it the Radeon Duo Pro, but I can't say anything for sure. I guess we will find out in 6 hrs.

Radeon Duo Pro sounds cheesy though. Furyx2 sounds fine though Fury MAXX sounds epic.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

AMD's Liquid VR just beats the crap out of Nvidia Gameworks VR. It's good too since Gameworks needs to die anyways.

not so shocking really. LiquidVR has only been focusing on one thing. Latency Latency Latency....... The whole SDK is made to combat latency meaning it will force the GPU to give a perfect experience.

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

I personally don't think they will call it the Radeon Duo Pro, but I can't say anything for sure. I guess we will find out in 6 hrs.

Radeon Duo Pro sounds cheesy though. Furyx2 sounds fine though Fury MAXX sounds epic.

Fury MaXX is a little too edgy.

I do hope they change it though (Not like i'm buying it though when Polaris is right around the corner lol) 

"If you ain't first, you're last"

Surprise us.  Launch all of Polaris because you have had a secret, under-the-table, hush-hush manufacturing spree for three months now and have 490x / Fury 2.0 Arctic Island cards, and HDR 120hz 4k Freesync monitors that run on dual DP 1.3 connections.  Come on AMD, also show off Zen, and that you've been bought by Apple and are receiving a ten billion dollar injection.

120hz UHD HDR Freesync (OLED) monitors is my ultimate monitor dream (for now). Don't spell it out like that, it's dangerous D:

13 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Surprise us.  Launch all of Polaris because you have had a secret, under-the-table, hush-hush manufacturing spree for three months now and have 490x / Fury 2.0 Arctic Island cards, and HDR 120hz 4k Freesync monitors that run on dual DP 1.3 connections.  Come on AMD, also show off Zen, and that you've been bought by Apple and are receiving a ten billion dollar injection.

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

8 minutes ago, aerandir92 said:

120hz UHD HDR Freesync (OLED) monitors is my ultimate monitor dream (for now). Don't spell it out like that, it's dangerous D:

32in 120Hz UHD HDR Freesync PLS low-response/lag for me. (Gonna have to wait at least 3 years for that)

OLED's a pretty cool technology but if i remember right it's not really a good idea ye for a monitor.

Something to do with color reproduction i think.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

5 minutes ago, aerandir92 said:

I'm dying for the GPU performance to run 5K.  Perfect pixel density.  5K 32" HDR Freesync(OLED).  That is what I need in my day.

5 minutes ago, Memories4K said:

32in 120Hz UHD HDR Freesync PLS low-response/lag for me. (Gonna have to wait at least 3 years for that)

OLED's a pretty cool technology but if i remember right it's not really a good idea ye for a monitor.

PLS is "samsungs" IPS version... so make that Amoled... "Oled" is LG marketing stuff AFAIK

1 hour ago, SurvivorNVL said:

That'd be awesome if they launched Polaris. Partially because then we'd get awesome new GPUs and also because it'd really give Nvidia a punch that they won't forget.

Also would be freakin awesome if they showed off Zen, though Capsaicin is hosted by RTG (I think) so they wouldn't be the ones doing it :(

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

@DocSwag Thanks for making this topic to keep the updates centralized.

Sadly i won't be able to follow capsacin because time zone issues, but with this no worries anymore :D

Anyway, let's hope we get what we want and it is as awesome as they say.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 hours ago, Memories4K said:

If you make a good OLED monitor it beats the crap out of IPS or TN. Color reproduction is fine from what I have heard and it has infinite contrast ratio as well as response times under 1 ms.

Edited by DocSwag

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Would you be able to update it with images of new products? Specifically images of Polaris cards :P

I'm at work so I get to miss out on watching the stream.

PCper is live streaming the event at 6:30 EST. :)

http://www.pcper.com/live/

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS