Dutch court rules in favour of Samsung, consumers not entitled to updates

Do you think Samsung should be forced to update their devices for a certain time?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Samsung should be forced to update their devices for a certain time?

• Yes, it is in favour of consumers
    • No, Samsung should have the freedom to support their devices how they think is best.
    • No, eventhough Samsung should do it, the consumers should force them to do so, not the court.
    • Yes, but only safety updates

The Amsterdam District Court rejected the demands of the Consumers' Association in regard to Samsung's update policy in the absence of an urgent interest. The Consumers' Association finds it disappointing that the requirements are not substantively addressed.

Samsung said to be "delighted" about the verdict of the court. "The verdict confirms that we have the protection of our equipment in order. The security of our devices remain our top priority", the company said in a written response. 

Marieke Neervoort (counsel for the Consumers' Association, law firm SOLV): "The judge did not dare to grant interim relief claims that have such a big impact on Samsung. While giving consumers clear information about how long you after purchase still continues to receive updates from Samsung, is not complicated or costly. "

I find it kinda sucky that the court ruled in favour of Samsung. When buying something as expensive as a mid-tier smartphone, I want to know how long it will be supported. I agree with the consumers' association that smartphone's should be supported for at least 2 years. Samsung is peppering the market with a ton of different devices but doesn't support them long enough, even for basic things like bugs. I believe this is not in favour of consumers. 

The Consumers' Association is considering further steps. I personally hope that they succeed.

What do you think?

source(translated): https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=nl&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=nl&tl=en&u=https://www.computable.nl/artikel/nieuws/mobility/5717335/250449/consumentenbond-verliest-update-zaak-samsung.html&usg=ALkJrhjmOa6tI2SZTV3J_Cp0moCUmUZLDg

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

hmm, I dunno how I feel about this. On one hand I'm like "yeah, it sucks that phones are not supported after like 2 months often..", but on the other hand I just kinda think that there are options to get newer Android versions on your phone (flashing), but this is of course not for the majority of the consumers.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

This is a sad development, when the Dutch Consumer protection group took Samsung to court I was hoping it would be the wakeup call for Sam(**cking)Sung as they are horrible when it comes to rolling out updates and support for previous generation phones. I use a Note4 and up to this day it's still on Lollipop, when the rest of the world has already moved on to Android M and N is now available for Developers.

Just now, Aytex said:

Erm how is Samsung mid teir, I thught they are flagships

They produce everything, from low- to high-end devices. 

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Samsung makes an array of phones from Flagship phones the S series to Low-end phones the J series.

It would cost so much for Samsung to update every flagship, let alone every phone. But I think they should at least bring two versions of android updates to each flagship, like the Notes and S phones. 

1 minute ago, leonard_sun said:

This is a sad development, when the Dutch Consumer protection group took Samsung to court I was hoping it would be the wakeup call for Sam(**cking)Sung as they are horrible when it comes to rolling out updates and support for previous generation phones. I use a Note4 and up to this day it's still on Lollipop, when the rest of the world has already moved on to Android M and N is now available for Developers.

I find this just plain unacceptable, considering how much you paid(and still pay) for such a device.

This is the reason I just plain stopped buying Samsung devices, and I advise everyone to do the same.

5 minutes ago, Minibois said:

hmm, I dunno how I feel about this. On one hand I'm like "yeah, it sucks that phones are not supported after like 2 months often..", but on the other hand I just kinda think that there are options to get newer Android versions on your phone (flashing), but this is of course not for the majority of the consumers.

Although one can Flash and Root a phone, it's not a trivial thing to do. It takes plenty of research, reading and careful execution or else that phone is brick. This is certainly not something that a consumer would ever think of doing willy nilly.

Just now, CaptainGazzz said:

I find this just plain unacceptable, considering how much you paid(and still pay) for such a device.

This is the reason I just plain stopped buying Samsung devices, and I advise everyone to do the same.

yeah, my next phone is going to the Nexus. Atleast that is always going to have the most recent Android.

Although one can Flash and Root a phone, it's not a trivial thing to do. It takes plenty of research, reading and careful execution or else that phone is brick. This is certainly not something that a consumer would ever think of doing willy nilly.

As I said yeah

7 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Their A series phones are somewhere in the mid end and they make a whole lot more mid end phones.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

yeah, my next phone is going to the Nexus. Atleast that is always going to have the most recent Android.

I bought the nexus 5 three years ago, and it's still not showing its age and still receives updates from Google. I have absolutely no regret buying a nexus device.

21 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

It would cost so much for Samsung to update every flagship, let alone every phone. But I think they should at least bring two versions of android updates to each flagship, like the Notes and S phones. 

They could fix that by not changing so much stuff in their Android distribution...

Phone manufacturers should have to provide software updates for the duration of the warranty. "It costs too much" isn't a reason, it's an excuse (and a bad one at that).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

if only Nexus devices had micro SD card support 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I really think people need to speak with their wallets on this one if it affects them.  At the same time, I do think it would be a slippery slope if we start forcing updates.  And it would honestly be pointless, who is to say what has to be in the update?  What if they just provided pointless updates that did nothing of value, would those still count?  Who says if an update is "good enough", what happens if it isn't?  What if a fix takes more time or money then expected for a particular issue?

I think the only real way to affect changes in regards to product quality, which I consider updates to be, is to speak with your wallet.

Planned obsolescence is great.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

4 minutes ago, ChineseChef said:

I really think people need to speak with their wallets on this one if it affects them.  At the same time, I do think it would be a slippery slope if we start forcing updates.  And it would honestly be pointless, who is to say what has to be in the update?  What if they just provided pointless updates that did nothing of value, would those still count?  Who says if an update is "good enough", what happens if it isn't?  What if a fix takes more time or money then expected for a particular issue?

I think the only real way to affect changes in regards to product quality, which I consider updates to be, is to speak with your wallet.

That's the truth in really all things.  Vote with your feet, and in this case - your wallet.  Don't like something, don't buy it, and wait a few generations or get something else.  But some people just won't do it, and then they'll spend all their time complaining about it, when they should've known what they were getting in to.

Just now, SurvivorNVL said:

That's the truth in really all things.  Vote with your feet, and in this case - your wallet.  Don't like something, don't buy it, and wait a few generations or get something else.  But some people just won't do it, and then they'll spend all their time complaining about it, when they should've known what they were getting in to.

The problem is that not everyone is as tech-savvy as the userbase of this forum, some people just don't bother with doing intensive research about the product that they want to buy, the consumers' association wants to protect these people. I had to explain to my parents that they just shouldn't buy Samsung devices because the support is terrible, something that they wouldn't have known themselves.

Well, as far as security fixes and performance optimization, that should be addressed.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

"absence of an urgent interest"

Seriously? That's it? Wow.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Lol, this is a very serious problem actually and Samsung alongside other manufacturers dont give a damn. Nexus master race indeed...

Groomlake Authority

1 hour ago, ChineseChef said:

I agree; while i'm troubled with lack of support, no one is forcing consumers to submit to Samsung.

1 hour ago, CaptainGazzz said:

The problem is that not everyone is as tech-savvy as the userbase of this forum, some people just don't bother with doing intensive research about the product that they want to buy, the consumers' association wants to protect these people. I had to explain to my parents that they just shouldn't buy Samsung devices because the support is terrible, something that they wouldn't have known themselves.

That's a problem with every consumer in every kind of product.

Be informed or gamble on something that could cost you.

No one is entitled to a perfect roll.

I bought a mattress a month back, not knowing anything about mattresses but from hearsay and ads, and got screwed on a way overpriced mattress that was not even "good".

I got burned, i deal with the consequences, i flipped the mattress, then i decided to apply myself to learn more about mattresses and got a great deal on a great mattress.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

8 minutes ago, Memories4K said:

I agree; while i'm troubled with lack of support, no one is forcing consumers to submit to Samsung.

That's a problem with every consumer in every kind of product.

Be informed or gamble on something that could cost you.

No one is entitled to a perfect roll.

I bought a mattress a month back, not knowing anything about mattresses but from hearsay and ads, and got screwed on a way overpriced mattress that was not even "good".

I got burned, i deal with the consequences, i flipped the mattress, then i decided to apply myself to learn more about mattresses and got a great deal on a great mattress.

These are two very different things. You could have known about mattress you bought, by doing research. There is no way of knowing how long a Samsung device is supported, the CA is trying to prevent people from getting burnt. Not everyone has the capacity for doing research into this matter, Samsung should either support their devices appropriately or make it clear how long they will be supported.  

But you arent.

You bought the device with the OS it had and all the features it came with. You didnt buy it for the future updates.

If you  arent happy with the way a company does their business all you have to do is not buy their products, no one forces you to

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

And Samsung is not entitled to my money, so they better not be upset when the S7 comes out as another failure.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.