This is why you don't stick metal up your USB Ports, folks.

I felt like writing this I don't know why I do but I want to.

So basically I was being my usual idiot self at school, and for whatever reason I decided that I wanted to find out what happens when you put a piece of metal in your computer's port (for reference my laptop is a macbook pro mid 2012 which I outfitted with a 480gb ssd and 16 gb ram).

I don't know why I though it would be cool, but I did.

So I took the part that normally plugs into your wall outlet, and started putting it in my mac's ports.

I stuck it in the Ethernet port-nothing happened.

I stuck it in the USB Port-wallah, my screen went black, computer wouldn't turn on. Even the little battery button thing on the side that normally indicates battery percentage wouldn't turn on. That thing is always on-it still works even when the laptop is shutdown.

I tried plugging it in-nope. The little light on the charger would flicker for 30 seconds then turn off.

I tried pressing the power button a bunch of times-nope.

And there I was thinking that I may have to get a new laptop.

So now you guys are probably thinking "well, I guess you gotta get a new laptop"

Well, I'm a lucky guy. Our school has an IT Department that can help repair your laptop if it's having problems and stuff. And I'll tell you, they know what they are doing.

So after school I took it over to them (I didn't tell him about me sticking a piece of metal up the USB Port, only that my computer wasn't working), and how we could try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, though I didn't think it would work. Well, it turned out it did. After that, it turned right back on!

My guess is the reason that happened is because USB 3.0 can supply power, and so when I (idiotically) stuck a piece of metal in the port it shorted the port and so, to save its life, the computer shut itself off to protect itself. Perhaps there was some unit on the motherboard that was designed to detect this. However, when we unplugged the battery, that thing didn't have power anymore and so my computer stopped keeping itself from turning on, so when I plugged the battery back in it worked fine again.

So the lesson: Don't stick metal up your computer ports. Oh yeah, don't do stupid things that you know could be disastrous, because chances are they will be.

I hope this wasn't too long. I don't know why I felt like writing this but I do, so deal with it. So yeah. Don't be an idiot.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Yes, you don't short electrical connections together. Bad things can - and likely will - occur.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

my friends and I used to do that for entertainment to our high schools computers......still funny.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Just now, AHaskin14 said:

my friends and I used to do that for entertainment to our high schools computers......still funny.

When I saw you say that:

Does it do the same thing to those computers as it did to mine? Just curious.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

/r/NoShitSherlock must be leaking again.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Well the USB port on my Corsair K70 melted with smoke after I plugged my motherboards USB 3.0 driver disk into it.

Not been able to update my suport ticket yet because no CPU since Saturday, but I'm getting one tomorrow.

Linus is my fetish.

I love how the the title says "up" your USB ports and not "in".

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Generally speaking when you stick a metal thingy in an electrical whatsakajigger what which ain't meant for that particular metal thingy that you dun went an stuck in it shit in the form of but not limited to fire, explosions, screaming, crying, running and profuse apology usually occurs.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Just now, Bhav said:

0bc.jpg 

My first thought when I saw the title was: A guy wrote this.

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Just now, Dargenfire said:

My first thought when I saw the title was: A guy wrote this.

Alternative thread title, by Stacey Cuff - Interparcel:

This is why you don't stick computer in your computer's computer ports, computers.

Linus is my fetish.

1 minute ago, Bhav said:

Alternative thread title, by Stacey Cuff - Interparcel:

This is why you don't stick computer in your computer's computer ports, computers.

That makes me wonder what would happen if you stuck something like an Intel Compute Stick in a laptop or GPU HDMI port. Would anything happen? Would it short something out? Would (on a laptop) the computer start displaying the Compute Stick's video signal?

17 minutes ago, Dargenfire said:

That makes me wonder what would happen if you stuck something like an Intel Compute Stick in a laptop or GPU HDMI port. Would anything happen? Would it short something out? Would (on a laptop) the computer start displaying the Compute Stick's video signal?

From the HBO series "things we'll never know"

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

I don't know why I though it would be cool, but I did.

So I took the part that normally plugs into your wall outlet, and started putting it in my mac's ports.

I stuck it in the Ethernet port-nothing happened.

I stuck it in the USB Port-wallah, my screen went black, computer wouldn't turn on. Even the little battery button thing on the side that normally indicates battery percentage wouldn't turn on. That thing is always on-it still works even when the laptop is shutdown.

The most important part of the scientific method that you have missed, is Do Background Research. Ask questions like, Has this been done before? Can BAD THINGS HAPPEN? Am I prepared to face the consequences of those bad things?

The theory that supported the large hadron collider destroying the world was reviewed, and some scientists said to themselves, "We will carry on despite this."

In the face of uncertainty, you did not march forward to illuminate the darkness. You have blundered through it, learning nothing, and will only serve a warning to others by the odour of your electrically sizzled corpse.

Edited by Bane Killgrind

"Why did you even wake up this morning?"

- A very bad man.

I did something similar by somehow accidentally shoving a micro USB cable into a USB port. Cmos reset fixed it :P

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

as long as the metal has enough electrical resistance to not overload the usb port is fine.

737583b3f9.jpg

3 hours ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

I did something similar by somehow accidentally shoving a micro USB cable into a USB port. Cmos reset fixed it :P

Now the USB 3 drive I used had one of those new universal plug into any USB bport any way around connectors.

But it only melted my keyboards USB slot, and none of the ones on my motherboard (I plugged it into any normal USB slot on the PC and it worked without melting it).

Now I just need to wait for my replacement CPU today to update my ticket, as Corsairs ticket service site doesn't work on my tablet browser.

Linus is my fetish.

People at my school use it to piss off the IT technicians when they lock your screen, just jam your key into the USB extension and it'll restart the PC. :ph34r:

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

17 hours ago, DocSwag said:

-wallah, 

I'm sorry for your loss, but a side note, I've seen you write this before, the word you are looking for is voilà

Pronounced like vwä-ˈlä

Continue on with your daily life now 

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Voila.  Not wallah.

But look on the bright side.

Now you know two things you didn't know yesterday.