Seagate Demonstrates Fastest-Ever SSD Flash Drive

Nepturion

This is some awesome news! :) 

Seagate’s new NVMe PCI-E 16x SSD is capable of hitting 6.7GB/s of sustained throughput!
CUPERTINO, Calif.– Seagate Technology plc today unveiled a production-ready unit of the fastest single solid-state drive (SSD) demonstrated to date, with throughput performance of 10 gigabytes per second (GB/s).

The early unit meets Open Compute Project (OCP) specifications, making it ideal for hyperscale data centers looking to adopt the fastest flash technology with the latest and most sustainable standards.

The 10GB/s unit, which is expected to be released this summer, is more than 4GB/s faster than the previous fastest-industry SSD on the market.

It also meets the OCP storage specifications being driven by Facebook, which will help reduce the power and cost burdens traditionally associated with operating at this level of performance.

They will be on display at the upcoming Open Compute Project Summit 2016 in San Jose, Calif. March 9-10 at Seagate’s booth.

Seagate-PCIe-SSD-10GBSec-NVMe.jpg

Source: Legit Reviews

25 minutes ago, xentropa said:

16x PCI-e

Awesome.  Goodbye video card.

8x actually, which could in fact max out around 7.8GB/s. Despite the article quote, it's obviously only 8x.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

16 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

8x actually, which could in fact max out around 7.8GB/s. Despite the article quote, it's obviously only 8x.

I think that is a generic render, not the actual card.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

There is an 8x version as well as a bigger and faster 16x one.

very nice, but I'm wondering what QD you have to have to reach this speed. Also all but most powerful CPUs can't request that much data let alone do some reasonable prosessing with it.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

7 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

So, does it survive more than six months? :P 

I'm assuming that the NAND itself wouldn't last, considering it would burn through its write-cycles in no time.

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

1 hour ago, Stefan1024 said:

There is an 8x version as well as a bigger and faster 16x one.

very nice, but I'm wondering what QD you have to have to reach this speed. Also all but most powerful CPUs can't request that much data let alone do some reasonable prosessing with it.

NVMe is asynchronous just like SAS. If you have enough cores, you can request enough data.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

3 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

NVMe is asynchronous just like SAS. If you have enough cores, you can request enough data.

Sure, but you have to have a lot of cores. And yes you can probably pull 10 GBytes/s with an i7-5690X, but you have to process the data unless you are a file server with with two 40 GBit/s ports at least. And that's exactly what the drive is made for: server and data centers.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

2 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Holy craps that's awesome. Almost justifies the ridiculous price tag (c'mon, it'll be at least $2000)

You cant really call it ridiculous, its an expected price point.

That's just awesome.

Waiting until current SSD prices drop half so I can get 1TB SSD for great price. Can't wait :) Though there may be 10TB HDD by then for solid price to xD

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

The biggest surprise is that it's Seagate.  Weren't they the ones that said HDDS were here to stay for a very long time? 

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

I want one! Also I'm amazed that Seagate is the company that did this.

2 hours ago, BobbyG2 said:

The biggest surprise is that it's Seagate.  Weren't they the ones that said HDDS were here to stay for a very long time? 

Even they know that high speed SAS drives are dead to the enterprise market with the $/GB of SSD's. They'll want to cash in and not leave it to Toshbia/Sandisk/Samsung/Intel.

That is quite impressive. I'm curious as to how much it will throttle, which I have a feeling it will, at least with stock heatsink. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

That SSD is faster than the SDRAM in my old desktop.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Impressive or not im staying away from Seagate branded storage devices for life.

On 8/3/2016 at 4:13 PM, TheRandomness said:

Holy craps that's awesome. Almost justifies the ridiculous price tag (c'mon, it'll be at least $2000)

HAVE you seen the prices of entreprise SSD's ?

Make that 10K at least.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

who knew that one day your storage could actually take so much bandwidth that your GPU might be hampered :P this is some new age performance hahaha 

Hi!  Please quote me in replies otherwise I may not see your response!

20 hours ago, BobbyG2 said:

They will still be here for a long time. As of now I don't really want to store All of my files on a £300 SSD and in alot of cases HDD's are still needed. Be atleast 5-10 years until HDD's are used very little and the kids won't grasp the concept of any type of disk for data storage. 

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

@LinusTech Can this please be a holy shit episode.

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2