Room Temperature Soldering Possibly with Liquid Metal "Balloons"

Godlygamer23

Soldering is a technique of taking molten metal alloys and putting them on two pieces of metal to join them together in an electrical connection - normally, solder has to be heated to a very high temperature in order to become molten. However, with this new technique, we might be able to throw that away. The main issue with current soldering is that you have the potential of burning components on the board, and even yourself with the temperature that soldering irons run at. Martin Thuo at the Iowa State University has developed a new way of soldering through an alloy that consists of bismuth, indium, and tin which is called "Field's Metal." This alloy melts at 62C - however, if the tiny droplets of this material(while molten) are placed inside protective shells, the material remains in a liquid form when the shell cools and solidifies.

The effect - which is known as undercooling or supercooling - occurs because the liquid metal is prevented from coming into contact with something that triggers any kind of solidification. While it was studied extensively, we couldn't make a stable undercooled metal material that was readily usable. When you crush the particles, liquid metal is released onto the surface, when then becomes a solid, conductive solder joint.

Thuo's team was able to put the special particles onto a thin film of gold, and then placed a gold wire on top. They put a glass rod onto it to squish the particles, and within seconds, the wire was firmly stuck to the film. Additionally, the particles could also repair a hole in a thin film of silver, and stick foils of gold and aluminum together. If precision is required while soldering, a scanning electron microscope can also be used to puncture the particles.

The team made these particles by taking some Field's Metal to some acetic acid using a solvent known as diethylene glycol, and then spinning it at 17,000 RPMs.

Quote taken directly from the source:

Thuo’s team made the particles by adding molten Field’s metal to a solution of acetic acid in a common solvent called diethylene glycol, and whizzing it up with a power tool running at 17,000 r.p.m. to break the metal into tiny droplets. (“A heated soup maker also gives really good particles,” notes Thuo.)

The droplets first react with air to form a thin oxide shell that is less than a nanometre thick, and then further react with acetic acid to form a second nanolayer. This adds flexibility so that the shell doesn’t crumble once it cools. Changing the details of the recipe, such as the viscosity of the liquid or the blending speed, can produce particles ranging in size from 4 nanometres to 5 micrometres in diameter. Once the particles have been filtered from solution, they can be stored for months without breaking down. Thuo has recently set up a company called Safi-Tech to commercialize the technology, and hopes to sell the particles to the microelectronics industry.

In accordance with Liu, he says that he thinks the manufacturing looks scalable. However, he also realizes the industry would like to know if the method can even be trusted in the first place as a replacement for our current technique. Thuo's team is currently testing other alloys which melt at a higher temperature than Field's Metal, and they've been successful. They've found that bismuth and tin mixed together can also be encapsulated inside the protective shell while remaining in a liquid form, bearing in mind that the melting temperature of this mixture is normally 139C.

Source: http://www.nature.com/news/liquid-metal-balloons-offer-room-temperature-soldering-1.19495

Edited by Godlygamer23
Slight edit to formatting and typo fixes.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Thanks for the share, this is super interesting. I wonder if they will ever sell "kits" of this?

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

SO what happens if you get one of these balloons in your eye and it pops? Do you get a core eye-7? :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

SO what happens if you get one of these balloons in your eye and it pops? Do you get a core eye-7? :P

-_-

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

If this technique is practible on large scale manufacturing, it could have a huge impact on the electronics/computer industry.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Is the solidification a permanent thing or not? Do the the films over the metals that prevent them from turning back in to a liquid/pressure changes the structures making them solid at those temperatures?

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

Is the solidification a permanent thing or not?

I imagine de-soldering would still be a thing. If not, I cannot see this technique taking wide acceptance.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

I imagine de-soldering would still be a thing. If not, I cannot see this technique taking wide acceptance.

I just don't see how they can go from a liquid to a solid at the same temperature without changing either the metal structures or preventing the metals from reacting with something in the atmosphere (which would be fun to scratch the fancy solder and everything melts apart) because computer components can hit 63C quite easily on the solder points. It just seems like it could fall apart.

24 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I just don't see how they can go from a liquid to a solid at the same temperature without changing either the metal structures or preventing the metals from reacting with something in the atmosphere (which would be fun to scratch the fancy solder and everything melts apart) because computer components can hit 63C quite easily on the solder points. It just seems like it could fall apart.

Apparently, they're developing it further to have a melting temperature of 139C with the new mixture at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

rip

2 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

If this technique is practible on large scale manufacturing, it could have a huge impact on the electronics/computer industry.

I don't really see how. They dont solder many things by hand in the first place, most modern electronics manufactured at scale are wave soldered anyway.

The metal they use looks super expensive. Also most electronic parts have no problem to be heated up to 350C as long as the slope is controlled. considering the electronic market is extremly cost sensitive I can't see this happen on a large scale. And for labor use there is already solder with a melting point aroung 150C. But if you are a bit experienced with sonldering you hardly ever kill a component with heat despite using normal solder. 

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

2 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

If I'm understanding it right, it should work just like this does. 

Beyond needing to react with air, it needs a point, an imperfection in a surface, to harden around or some kind of disturbance.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

So soldering IHS to 22nm and smaller CPU die is possible? Because I can say right now-my i7 4790K gets hotter at stock than my Xeon X5450 at 3.6GHz, with the Xeon consuming a lot more power (well over 120W) and using the same cooler+thermal paste.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

6 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

-snip-

But it would require a soldering iron to remove the solder off of the soldered joints. It's ok if you're making a one time thing with no corrections but if you make a mistake or want to change something you will still need to desolder it with a soldering iron.

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

I wanna try this.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |