Video Card Resurrection - Oven Method

5 hours ago, terminal2 said:

Wow, I'm surprised @LinusTech would put this crap on this internet.  I guess he didn't watch all of Louis Rossmann's videos, who made the apple video he talked about on WAN. 

The strange thing is, if you COULD reflow a SSD/HDD, THAT would serve a purpose since maybe it would allow you pull data.  But reflowing is a very temporary fix.  There is almost no reason to do this VS just buying a new GPU. 

I cannot take this clown seriously after he said "they are programmed with a timer when apple care is meant to run out" 

I say this as someone who hates apple. 

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I already baked 7 cards, 5 of which i brought back to life. The best cards to bake are AMDs since the chip is exposed, Nvidia's have the plate ontop just like CPUs and when you bake the card, the thermal paste under that cover dries up and the cooling performance is lowered, it heats up more, learned that on a GTX 560 windforce edition, on max fan speed the card hit 85°C, which is like 10-15°C more than it usually would on that cooler. But it's still a good method, tho cards which got baked can die in a few months, maybe less, or can work for years to come.

Did this with my 1st gen ps3 back in the day, worked like charm. You can also use a heatgun, but you have to heat up the board evenly or you might get cracking from the temp difference. The nice thing about a heatgun is you can avoid parts that can't take the heat.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

Ok, serious question...

...Why was Linus not wearing an apron for this?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I baked my GTX 580 several times as it had VRAM issues.

It's not about resoldering but expanding the solder and while its contracting it hopefully makes contact in the right places again.

I baked it 4 times already and retired it this week because I bought a GTX 970.

I started with 356F and increased the temp 5°C every time so 365/374/383F.

The last time I did it was the most successful and it's still running fine after ~5 month.

The crucial part is you don't take it out of the oven but let it cool in it as not to disturb the "contracting in the right places" part of it.

I revived an old Xbox 360 and a GTX 260 the same way.

On 29-2-2016 at 10:24 AM, Cookie Monster said:

I appreciate not having to type 385f in c into google. Include a Celsius conversion in future.

You're not the only one, lol :P When watching this on Vessel I had to Google it too and posted something like "385 F is 200 C, you're welcome" and about 35 people liked that comment :P 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

So +linusTech Re posted his own video, that's dank 

Louis made a video about Linus's video.

I'm split on this one, I agree with Louis that baking is not a proper way to repair shit you want to really fix, and that Linus's video is a kind of misleading.

But I also agree with Linus, if we're walking about hardware that would otherwise go in the garbage, why not bake it? No one will spend hundred or more bucks for a repair shop to fix their 50$ graphic card. The PC that I'm currently using as a main rig has a hd5770 in it, that shit cost 30$ second hand in my country. If it dies I can bet your ass I'm trowing it in the oven and then in the garbage(if the oven doesn't fix it temporary) instead of sending it to repairing shop that would charge me as much as a new better gpu would cost. But if the board on my $350 3D mouse brakes I wouldn't even think about putting it in the oven - it goes straight for a reputable repair shop. So it really depends on the case we're talking here.

NO! It's art, it's colonialism and you'll never get it!

On 29-2-2016 at 5:11 PM, Nexxus said:

I cannot take this clown seriously after he said "they are programmed with a timer when apple care is meant to run out" 

I say this as someone who hates apple. 

He says that because he works on Apple laptops for a living and knows exactly how they work and why they break. And im willing to bet he said that because he sees a lot of laptop come in just after the warranty period, thats why you could think that they were specifically made to fail just after warranty. 

I came to this thread to post the video that was already posted above me, about how reflowing a dead thing is bullshit and will not work. And I completely agree with Louis and this is another case of linus barely doing any research and posting a shitty video, which results in people trying what he did because a lot of people think what he says is the truth and they all end up with something more broken then what they had before.  

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

2 hours ago, legopc said:

He says that because he works on Apple laptops for a living and knows exactly how they work and why they break. And im willing to bet he said that because he sees a lot of laptop come in just after the warranty period, thats why you could think that they were specifically made to fail just after warranty. 

I came to this thread to post the video that was already posted above me, about how reflowing a dead thing is bullshit and will not work. And I completely agree with Louis and this is another case of linus barely doing any research and posting a shitty video, which results in people trying what he did because a lot of people think what he says is the truth and they all end up with something more broken then what they had before.  

Exactly.  As he said, feel free to test it.  If it was the balls, then using heat below their melting point WOULD NOT WORK

3 hours ago, Progressor said:

Louis made a video about Linus's video.

I'm split on this one, I agree with Louis that baking is not a proper way to repair shit you want to really fix, and that Linus's video is a kind of misleading.

But I also agree with Linus, if we're walking about hardware that would otherwise go in the garbage, why not bake it? No one will spend hundred or more bucks for a repair shop to fix their 50$ graphic card. The PC that I'm currently using as a main rig has a hd5770 in it, that shit cost 30$ second hand in my country. If it dies I can bet your ass I'm trowing it in the oven and then in the garbage(if the oven doesn't fix it temporary) instead of sending it to repairing shop that would charge me as much as a new better gpu would cost. But if the board on my $350 3D mouse brakes I wouldn't even think about putting it in the oven - it goes straight for a reputable repair shop. So it really depends on the case we're talking here.

The issue here isn't that @LinusTech made a video about it.  The two issues are:
1. Someone could take a failing but still working VGA card and kill it trying to repair it.  Even worse if the card was just underclocking itself due to overheating that could be fixed with a reapplication of thermal paste

2. Linus put no disclaimer in the video about that this was temporary if it did work.  So if someone in a disadvantaged country did this and thought their card was fixed, they might not start saving as they otherwise would for a new card, and be pretty boned when it crapped the bed again

4 minutes ago, terminal2 said:

Exactly.  As he said, feel free to test it.  If it was the balls, then using heat below their melting point WOULD NOT WORK

The issue here isn't that @LinusTech made a video about it.  The two issues are:
1. Someone could take a failing but still working VGA card and kill it trying to repair it.  Even worse if the card was just underclocking itself due to overheating that could be fixed with a reapplication of thermal paste

2. Linus put no disclaimer in the video about that this was temporary if it did work.  So if someone in a disadvantaged country did this and thought their card was fixed, they might not start saving as they otherwise would for a new card, and be pretty boned when it crapped the bed again

1. I agree, that's what my issue with the video is as I wrote, it's misleading because he doesn't make it clear enough that this is supposed to be done on a hardware that is for the garbage and is not a proper fix.

2. I live in a shitty country, on every hardware forum where this method is posted(not the Linus video), it's clearly stated that if you fix your card with this it would last from few hours to few months at best, and people who fixed their cards are confirming it. No one is doing this as a permanent solution, at least on the hardware forums I visit. So in this case this is only an issue for the part of Linus' audience that is not educated and won't do the proper research.

NO! It's art, it's colonialism and you'll never get it!

So basically,  there are idiots who think sticking your electronics in the oven is a good idea? 

My common sense is tingling. 

Do not feed.

It might will temporarily fix cold joints that's it. 

1 hour ago, Progressor said:

1. I agree, that's what my issue with the video is as I wrote, it's misleading because he doesn't make it clear enough that this is supposed to be done on a hardware that is for the garbage and is not a proper fix.

2. I live in a shitty country, on every hardware forum where this method is posted(not the Linus video), it's clearly stated that if you fix your card with this it would last from few hours to few months at best, and people who fixed their cards are confirming it. No one is doing this as a permanent solution, at least on the hardware forums I visit. So in this case this is only an issue for the part of Linus' audience that is not educated and won't do the proper research.

Totally agree. I think Linus should put a comment on the video and fix this some way as quickly as possible.

Linus should probably not made this video, even though i enjoyed it myself, i watched it as a documentation of just trying something a little silly out, rather than an instructional video, as i know better to even consider doing this, even with a broken card.....

The problem is a lot of people take Linus's words as gospel and will try the same thing with their faulty cards, this is where i agree with Louis, most of the cards that develop faults can not be fixed in this way, but can be fixed at component level, so when someone with as much influence as linus, but doesn't have a clue what he is doing when it comes to fixing electronics at component level makes this type of video, it's sending the wrong message very loudly...Linus and co need to stop making these videos, and leave it to the professionals who actually know what they are doing and not read some guide of some random website....or at least research the process thoroughly and find out why this baking process works in a minority of cases before considering making a video about it.

Like or not Linus as a responsibility now with the huge following he has. and if billy no mates puts is faulty video card in the oven completely bricks it now, Linus is now partly responsible for that...

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

This guy is pretty angry about the video. I hear what he's saying. A big disclaimer and maybe more information are important. 

Let's post it again and again 

On 2016-02-29 at 1:22 AM, nicklmg said:

Videos (almost) always go to the forum a bit early.

Then why is THIS video unlisted then?

Why unlist Part 1 when Part 2 and Part 3 are available? And I'm sure that's not the only one unlisted for no apparent reason.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

11 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Then why is THIS video unlisted then?

Why unlist Part 1 when Part 2 and Part 3 are available? And I'm sure that's not the only one unlisted for no apparent reason.

There is a reason, can't talk about it.