industry sources - AMD market share may hit new low in Q1 2016

zMeul

How much of this market share is due to laptops?  I can understand why radeon would want to release something for notebooks, they haven't had anything competitive in that space for an age.

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

VIA sais HI!

Hilarious... Even Huawei's MIPS processors do better than VIA x86.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 hour ago, Atmos said:

And nvidia has launched shit in the last months?

Neither company has, but its still not really surprising there are so many fanboys spreading misinformation and so many misinformed consumers that amd never really stood a chance no matter what happens. 

They're going to die, that's just that. The only thing left to see is who buys them out and rebrands them.

I think all of AMD's problems start with them always being behind Nvidia in release terms. They only ever bring out their competing products after Nvidia has brought out theirs. That's their GPU's anyway. Their CPU's are just a joke. To the point where Intel has come out and said their next CPU's from now on are going to perform worse but will be more efficient. Intel has nothing to worry about. 

This isn't news though we have all knows for about 3 years or so that AMD would die at some point. Albeit slowly. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

6 minutes ago, kuddlesworth9419 said:

-snip-

Polaris will launch before Pascal, and AMD has always been first to a new Process node, in recent history, if not all the time.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

20 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Hilarious... Even Huawei's MIPS processors do better than VIA x86.

Huawei's MIPS doesn't have AVX2 set nor x86-64 :P

and they're really tiny:

cpu2zgr0d.jpg

54 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Samsung will never happen.  They're a foreign firm.  Now.  Intel can buy Radeon within a heartbeat, and nVidia will likely in its past attempts to get in to making CPUs and to get in to x86 which they emulated rather well on Denver, could purchase AMD itself while RTG goes to Intel and then we'd see something spectacular.  nVidia could consume AMD and AMD_64, negotiate with Intel for x86 and then we'd have two-way competition.  

Personally I'd love to see Apple take AMD.  The money they have is scary, and it would give Intel and NVidia the biggest run for their money once they start turning the cogs in the AMD, an Apple Company, machine.

Neither intel nor nvidia could purchase all of radeon.

If intel bought them out they would then control the cpu market completely, regardless if nvidia "wanted" to get into the cpu market they wouldn't be in it for a long time, in the mean time intel would come into anti-trust territory and face severe penalties. Same goes for nvidia just with gpus. Neither would blatantly buy out all of amd, if anything they might purchase the different sectors of it, or intel just buying out the graphics division and samsung buying out the cpu division, which would give them an architecture to use in their mobile processors without paying fees or through the roof 3rd party rnd

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

?!

it's a buyer's market

the 390 and 390X are nothing more than rebranded 290 and 290X with more VRAM - you'd be better off buying a 290(X), it will be cheaper

You know, unless you want more VRAM

a thread based on pure speculation.. and no proof.... made by zmeul..... moving on....

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

16 minutes ago, Atmos said:

If intel bought them out they would then control the cpu market completely, regardless if nvidia "wanted" to get into the cpu market they wouldn't be in it for a long time, in the mean time intel would come into anti-trust territory and face severe penalties. Same goes for nvidia just with gpus. Neither would blatantly buy out all of amd, if anything they might purchase the different sectors of it, or intel just buying out the graphics division and samsung buying out the cpu division, which would give them an architecture to use in their mobile processors without paying fees or through the roof 3rd party rnd

That is what I was saying.  Intel would be purchasing the Radeon Technologies Group, the graphics division and nVidia would be going after the AMD_64 license to negotiate for Intel's x86.  Samsung itself is incapable of purchasing the CPU division due to the importance of AMD_64 needing to remain an American owned entity.  Which if we go in to that - it ends up with the only other large options aside from nVidia, who could benefit, would be Apple or Google as both want to make in-house chips.  Apple already pretty much uses AMD For everything, so them purchasing the entire company could be likely in the future and would put them in quite an advantageous position with their cash reserves.  Being able to produce in house chips and all.

As for the rest - it's possible Intel and Nvidia could split them down the middle, as AMD's gone from the server business.  Intel absorbing graphics and Nvidia absorbing their CPU division.  Spark competition and make things very interesting.

I still want to see Apple absorb all of AMD and get to work on beating down both Intel and nVidia.  That would be interesting.  That'd be some fun three-way competition to watch.  And it'd benefit -us-, the consumers, so beautifully~

Edited by SurvivorNVL

32 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Intel can buy all of Radeon, but it could not buy the CPU IP from AMD. Nvidia could not pick up any IP from Radeon, but it could buy up all the SOC and CPU IP from AMD.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

21 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Intel can buy all of Radeon, but it could not buy the CPU IP from AMD. Nvidia could not pick up any IP from Radeon, but it could buy up all the SOC and CPU IP from AMD.

could Nvidia actually buy the APU IPs?

Since those DO include GCN and True Audio IPs....

Just now, Prysin said:

They could buy it, but they couldn't use GCN core architecture I don't believe.  It'd have to be their own implementation, especially if Intel owns the graphics portion.  Intel wouldn't stand for it, I don't think. 

20 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

I agree though I'd prefer that it didn't happen.  Would much prefer Nvidia be stuck with GPUs with no other mass market avenues to exploit til such a time that the AMD & intel APUs squeeze the crap out of nvidia.  A foolish hope perhaps, but IMO the better path for the long term.

Time to buy AMD stock !

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Time to buy AMD stock !

As someone with AMD stock, don't engage in this nightmare.  I'm holding on to a 100 shares for the sole purpose of, "Fuck it."

1 minute ago, SurvivorNVL said:

As someone with AMD stock, don't engage in this nightmare.  I'm holding on to a 100 shares for the sole purpose of, "Fuck it."

yeah , but share prices are around 2$ , and considering they WILL go up near polaris/zen release , it probably is a good choice.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

yeah , but share prices are around 2$ , and considering they WILL go up near polaris/zen release , it probably is a good choice.

They will go up -maybe-, no guarantee they will stay there, especially with Intel and nVidia having the positions they have.  I'll never make my $8 a share back, though.

People should really stop having this hard-on for the scenario of Intel and Nvidia scavenging the leftovers from a hypothetical AMD collapse. 

Better for the market that a third party steps in. But let's be honest, such a scenario is at least some years into the future if not more than five. 

50 minutes ago, Prysin said:

No they don't. They contain the interconnect and cooperative scheduling.

Well, their next GPU line is quite awaited for DX12 4K and more VRAM on flagship. Specially their next gen CPU which should really be great to bring AMD back to life.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

45 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

They will go up in standard pump & dump fashion, and then they will crash in standard pump & dump fashion. If you'd bought at $1.70, I'd say go ahead.

31 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

People should really stop having this hard-on for the scenario of Intel and Nvidia scavenging the leftovers from a hypothetical AMD collapse. 

Better for the market that a third party steps in. But let's be honest, such a scenario is at least some years into the future if not more than five. 

It's actually not better. The only options we have are non-consumer facing. It's better to have that IP being applied in our market than to have Google take it and only apply it to their own datacenters. Qualcomm is the same issue, as is IBM. And Apple? Seriously? No, best case scenario is you give Nvidia a fighting chance and unlock Intel's potential (since the only thing really blocking it is a lack of IP access since both ATI (not RTG) and Nvidia were and still are enormous patent trolls. This is even forgetting Matrox and Imagination Technologies. 

12 hours ago, Citadelen said:

Polaris will launch before Pascal, and AMD has always been first to a new Process node, in recent history, if not all the time.

Process node has nothing to do with real world performance. I'm saying Nvidia always comes out with the more powerful GPU's first and then AMD has to try and do better. Or at least that is the way it looks.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

20 minutes ago, kuddlesworth9419 said:

Process node has nothing to do with real world performance. I'm saying Nvidia always comes out with the more powerful GPU's first and then AMD has to try and do better. Or at least that is the way it looks.

I'm pretty sure the HD 5xxx and maybe one, two more were faster than Nvidia's counter parts.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

Ugh... AMD is not going to sink. And you all should not want for them to sink. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS