Optical Data Storage Squeezes 360TB on to a Quartz Disc—Forever

Tribalinius

Now, that's some exciting stuff. If it's as reliable as they say, I wouldn't be surprised to see companies move their archives to these kinds of media in a couple of years!

The storage allows unprecedented properties including 360 TB/disc data capacity, thermal stability up to 1,000°C and virtually unlimited lifetime at room temperature (13.8 billion years at 190°C ) opening a new era of eternal data archiving. As a very stable and safe form of portable memory, the technology could be highly useful for organisations with big archives, such as national archives, museums and libraries, to preserve their information and records.

Source

Current Build: SD-DESK-07

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy // PSU: SeaSonic SS-650RM // Motherboard: P8Z77-I DELUXE // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k // Cooler: Corsair H80i // RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 2X8GB DDR3 1600MHz // SSD: Crucial M500 240GB // Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SC 2GB

Heard of HAMR?

Wait 6 more days and on techquickie you would know why :D.

2 minutes ago, Xenift said:

Heard of HAMR?

Wait 6 more days and on techquickie you would know why :D.

It's pretty neat! But, I think the main appeal of the quartz discs is it's stability and durability not necesseraly it's density. I don't think we can expect a HAMR drive to survive 13.8 billion years ;).

Quartz disc will cater for the cold storage market while HAMR is, in my opinion, a normal evolution of our current drives toward higher density drives.

That article from Forbes tends to suggest that we should not expect better life time from our future HAMR drives than we do with our current drives.

TDK said that they have confirmed heat assisted (or thermally assisted) magnetic recording with more than 1,000 write hours in a 10,000 RPM HDD.   Seagate Technology provided the HDD. This is significant since the company says that this would allow 30 hours of HDD TV recording a day, every day, for five years.  In other words this work indicates that a HAMR HDD could be made that will support a reasonable life-time of use (5 years is a common estimate for HDD useful life).

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy // PSU: SeaSonic SS-650RM // Motherboard: P8Z77-I DELUXE // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k // Cooler: Corsair H80i // RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 2X8GB DDR3 1600MHz // SSD: Crucial M500 240GB // Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SC 2GB

Cool, but aint Quartz expensive? To Find a similar sized quartz would be rare, and there is no way of melting it to make molten quartz for recycling.

Or is there artificial manufacturing ways to only coat the discs?

5 minutes ago, Xenift said:

Cool, but aint Quartz expensive? To Find a similar sized quartz would be rare, and there is no way of melting it to make molten quartz for recycling.

Or is there artificial manufacturing ways to only coat the discs?

I thought they did this on a special glass disk anyways?

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Just now, carolkarine said:

Glass is different, you could mold glass by melting it down but for quartz as a stone, melting it down changes it's structure.

There is that m-disc which last for 1,000 years. 1,000 years is not enough.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Would like to know the speeds of such thing :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

10 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Would like to know the speeds of such thing :)

Probably as fast as an average hard drive. Maybe slower actually. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

1 hour ago, christianled59 said:

Probably as fast as an average hard drive. Maybe slower actually. 

By the time it would be available for the normal consumer, I tend to think that we will have monstruous SSD available on the market. We're already at what now, 4TB with the consumer grade SSDs when Mushkin will release it's SSD later this year. Beside, I don't think they're looking to replace normal HDDs with those quartz disc, it's really designed to be useful as a cold storage backup unit that can withstand the test of time more than anything else.

With these kind of technologies emerging, I'm starting to wonder if HDDs will still be relevant in, let's say, 15 years.

2 hours ago, NateGSR117 said:

pretty cool drive, but I doubt the average joe will get/have one

I'd buy one regardless to keep some photos of my kids, wedding ya da ya da

I'd happily buy it for 3000/4000 quid if it meant I never lost them but had instant access to them

4 hours ago, carolkarine said:

Glass isn't a stable material, so it would be a very bad idea to make long term storage from it. Think pane glass windows in churches, they are thicker at the bottom.

2 hours ago, Nielips said:

Glass isn't a stable material, so it would be a very bad idea to make long term storage from it. Think pane glass windows in churches, they are thicker at the bottom.

Yep, glass isn't actually a solid (and I can't remember the type of liquid it and other materials like it are called).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Personally I wish this could be a thing but the cost for quartz is only going to increase as companies attempt to adapt this for their own use (therefore raising demand resulting in a possible %200 increase in cost).

If we can get rid of magnetic tapes I will be so happy, having to swap them every week and put them in offsite storage is a real PITA, even more knowing that there is plenty of space left on each tape but commvault restores become corrupt depending on the tapes fullness).

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

5 hours ago, Nielips said:

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Yep, glass isn't actually a solid (and I can't remember the type of liquid it and other materials like it are called).

lol, you two are making the same wrong statements my Materials professor talked about in his course

Glass IS a solid. Period. The whole "old windows are thicker at the bottom because glass is a viscous liquid" argument is completely false, they're thicker at the bottom only because glass makers couldn't produce flat panels like current ones. So they obviously put the thicker part on the bottom.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

4 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

6 hours ago, Nielips said:

How is glass not stable? Hard drive platters are made of glass.

19 hours ago, rentaspoon said:

I'd happily buy it for 3000/4000 quid if it meant I never lost them but had instant access to them

I would not pay that much but yeah, that's the point of that kind of technology.

15 hours ago, BOT Edward said:

Personally I wish this could be a thing but the cost for quartz is only going to increase as companies attempt to adapt this for their own use (therefore raising demand resulting in a possible %200 increase in cost).

If we can get rid of magnetic tapes I will be so happy, having to swap them every week and put them in offsite storage is a real PITA, even more knowing that there is plenty of space left on each tape but commvault restores become corrupt depending on the tapes fullness).

That would certainly drive the price up for the raw material, there is no doubt about that. But, would you pay 100$ for a 360TB storage unit that is virtually indestructible in a controlled environment? I'd do it ;).

18 hours ago, Agost said:

lol, you two are making the same wrong statements my Materials professor talked about in his course

Glass IS a solid. Period. The whole "old windows are thicker at the bottom because glass is a viscous liquid" argument is completely false, they're thicker at the bottom only because glass makers couldn't produce flat panels like current ones. So they obviously put the thicker part on the bottom.

Have you looked at any of the recent studies into glass? The materials scientest that are a t the putting edge of glass science don't even know exactly what it's physical form is. So either you are way beyond science, or your talking out of your arse. But the glass pane windows thing is wrong know I remeber, but your other statement is bullshit.

On 2/16/2016 at 1:21 PM, rentaspoon said:

I doubt these will ever realistically be available to the common consumer. Making a hard drive that never fails will drastically decrease sales for any major HD manufacturer in the long run. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot with it basically.

It'll probably only ever be used for specialized government projects and historical record keeping. Or some HD manufacturer will buy the rights to manufacturing and never do so, keeping the tech out of the market.

1 hour ago, Nielips said:

Have you looked at any of the recent studies into glass? The materials scientest that are a t the putting edge of glass science don't even know exactly what it's physical form is. So either you are way beyond science, or your talking out of your arse. But the glass pane windows thing is wrong know I remeber, but your other statement is bullshit.

Glass is an amorphous solid, just like lots of stuff you use everyday, take many kinds of plastic as an example.

Pure silicon glass internal structure is composed by silicon ions surrounded by oxygen ions arranged in a tetrahedral way; these tetrahedrons are bound together but not in a precise order, leading to a non cristalline random structure which creates a kind of isotropy ( don't know the exact English term, however a direct translation could be "isotropy by compensation" ). In non-pure silicon glasses there are many other ions (usually metallic ones) between oxygen atoms

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

8 hours ago, Tribalinius said:

I would not pay that much but yeah, that's the point of that kind of technology.

That would certainly drive the price up for the raw material, there is no doubt about that. But, would you pay 100$ for a 360TB storage unit that is virtually indestructible in a controlled environment? I'd do it ;).

Definitely, but the more time goes on the more the price goes up, possibly making it go from $100 to $10,000.
Although an exaggeration, price is reflected on demand :P

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

On 16/02/2016 at 2:33 PM, Tribalinius said:

Now, that's some exciting stuff. If it's as reliable as they say, I wouldn't be surprised to see companies move their archives to these kinds of media in a couple of years!

Source

The disk might last for thousands of years, but you won't be able to get the data off it after the drives die :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

On 2016-02-16 at 9:06 AM, Xenift said:

Cool, but aint Quartz expensive?

No.  Not even a little bit.  Only when dealing with liars and contractors does quartz mysteriously become an expensive commodity.

Quartz makes up about 12 percent of the land surface and about 20 percent of the Earth's crust

https://uwaterloo.ca/earth-sciences-museum/resources/detailed-rocks-and-minerals-articles/quartz