Comcast begs Atlanta customers not to switch to Google Fiber

Guest Kloaked
5 hours ago, DEcobra11 said:

Wait what?

You've data caps in US?

I though it was a myth...

5 hours ago, Suicidal Korean said:

It is technically their but I don't know anyone who has had issue using more then it.

I can easily go over the 350GB limit since I play extensive amount of online games that push updates constantly. On top of that, half of my Steam inventory isn't downloaded yet. And I really want to get into streaming but spending 7GB per 6hrs of data on less than decent stream quality settings is not worth the chance of having overage fees.

Also anyone who plays Payday 2 or has it downloaded will also reach the cap really easily without trying. Thank god I uninstalled that game after it went in the shitter.

Spoiler

If anyone wants a testament to how much influence Atlanta has in business, the Atlanta airports are the busiest in the entire U.S.. Busier than NYC, Busier than L.A., Busier than Chicago. Comcast doesn't seem to realize or care that if a few businesses jump ship, they all jump ship. If the business jump ship to better networks, their workers will too. If workers jump ship, so will their friends...

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Here in Houston my parents pay for 20Mbps down and 2Mbps up, from AT&T at $120/mo. Now I don't know if that includes the TV package since we have the U-Verse or whatever, but man, at least increase the speeds for this price. The download is fine I suppose, but the upload is a joke. Even my pretty well set friend has U-Verse, and he pays $160/mo or something for 50Mbps down and 5Mbps up.

At least they have Fiber in Atlanta, I feel sorry for the suckers that fall for that flyer. Not to mention that Fiber is in Austin and I believe is coming to San Antonio, not Houston, one of the biggest cities in the US and possibly one of the worst places in terms of ISP monopolies.

Edit: If they do move to San Antonio, I will totally move there after I get my degree if it's only $70/mo for 1Gbps, even though I absolutely love Houston.

5 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:
Spoiler

They did. Someone go make one of these videos

Please somebody make one of these haha. And Comcast...stop being Comcast for like 1 second god dang it. >_>

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

43 minutes ago, MilkJugg24 said:

I can easily go over the 350GB limit since I play extensive amount of online games that push updates constantly. On top of that, half of my Steam inventory isn't downloaded yet. And I really want to get into streaming but spending 7GB per 6hrs of data on less than decent stream quality settings is not worth the chance of having overage fees.

Also anyone who plays Payday 2 or has it downloaded will also reach the cap really easily without trying. Thank god I uninstalled that game after it went in the shitter.

I should rephrase, as in having to deal with fees or loss of service. throttling is data related not amount.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 hours ago, byalexandr said:

Here in Houston my parents pay for 20Mbps down and 2Mbps up, from AT&T at $120/mo. Now I don't know if that includes the TV package since we have the U-Verse or whatever, but man, at least increase the speeds for this price. The download is fine I suppose, but the upload is a joke. Even my pretty well set friend has U-Verse, and he pays $160/mo or something for 50Mbps down and 5Mbps up.

At least they have Fiber in Atlanta, I feel sorry for the suckers that fall for that flyer. Not to mention that Fiber is in Austin and I believe is coming to San Antonio, not Houston, one of the biggest cities in the US and possibly one of the worst places in terms of ISP monopolies.

Edit: If they do move to San Antonio, I will totally move there after I get my degree if it's only $70/mo for 1Gbps, even though I absolutely love Houston.

Houston is the fourth largest city in the country and if you want any kind of broadband speed you are either stuck with Comcast or At&t, it's BS.  You can't even negotiate with Comcast about the price because they know there's nothing else out there, it sucks.  All these cities near Houston getting Google fiber, and Houston is stuck with crap ISP's.

its more then a BIT ridiculous, when you realize some mobile subscriptions have faster internet and equal data caps, FOR LESS...

speaking of LTE modems here in Norway... there are some damn good deals out there 
(in regards to being able to take said modem anywhere in the country)

https://netcom.no/privat/mobilt-bredband

(200GB capacity. 799NOK, at the time of writing that is $94 ish USD... under the best of circumstances i get these results with that mobile provider.....PDoBWzT.jpg )

RIP Comcast, may you burn in hell

12 hours ago, MilkJugg24 said:

It's sad because people will actually fall for this.

We pay 120 dollars a month for cable, phone and 26down/2.5up internet with a 350GB cap every month (Which is NEVER enough for our needs). I wish someone would sue ISPs to get rid of the data caps or drastically lower the prices, it's pretty much a monopoly here in the middle of nowhere.

120? holy hell. i dont pay that much for maintenance costs on the apartment with cable internet and phone on top. america is getting ripped off right now. you guys have way stronger currency compared to mine yet still pay more. how do you guys put up with this shit.

6 hours ago, biggiebody said:

Houston is the fourth largest city in the country and if you want any kind of broadband speed you are either stuck with Comcast or At&t, it's BS.  You can't even negotiate with Comcast about the price because they know there's nothing else out there, it sucks.  All these cities near Houston getting Google fiber, and Houston is stuck with crap ISP's.

You're telling when I've already had first hand experience.

13 hours ago, NateGSR117 said:

I don't understand how they have the fastest in home wifi? It fiber connection, just hook that up to the modem and then to the router and I have gigabit wifi and wired. Even then it not like you are going to download things at those speeds unless you are transferring files between machines with raided ssd's. Sure they have 2gig fiber but that hell expensive compared to Google asking price. 

If you read the bottom of the pamphlet, based on a 2014 study. Clearly not relevant.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

40 minutes ago, Demonking said:

My Ninja that shit exist & iv'e exceeded the limit plenty of times

I should clarify I mean exceeded limit and receive a penalty.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Xfinity/Comcast be cray cray. The sad thing is people not familiar with this stuff would believe it because it's coming from a major company and it was printed on a PHAMPLET! :D

Google's point with Google Fiber (and now Project Fi) is to smack some sense in the major ISPs and carriers and show that you can offer great service without charging $100s in BS fees. 

Not only comcast trying this. I switched to Fi from verizon and they keep sending me emails and promos trying to get me back. Like "hey buddy we miss you! Come back and will give you $300 off a phone that costs $800 total and we'll waive the $35 activation fee! Aren't we so generous and cool?"...Bitch please >_>

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

44 minutes ago, GeekJump said:

Like "hey buddy we miss your money! Come back and we'll cut $300 off of our profit on a phone that costs you $800 total and we'll waive the $35 activation fee(*while adding other fees and/or "accidentally" billing you a lot more at some random time to get it back, and then some")! Aren't we so generous and cool?"

FTFY

1 minute ago, MoonSpot said:

FTFY

The whole bit was similar to what I said during the initial 'don't leave us' conversation I had with support. I needed my account info to switch but they kept trying to keep me with stupid deals. The saddest part is when they still try to sale it to you even after you break it down to them :/

ME: "yeah no buddy, that isn't a deal. If I pay monthly for a new phone I'm still paying close to $1000 for it in the end."

VZW: "But it's over 36 months. Pay it off little by little and you can trade it up for a new phone at the end"

ME: "So $1000 to lease a phone that I won't keep and need to trade in for another phone I will pay you $1000 for all over again? I just got a new phone for $500 and it's mine for life..."

VZW: "We got cookies?"

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

I have 100mbps symmetric service and I would switch to Google Fiber instantly if it was available.

Good luck with your adds, comcast. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

for £35 inc line and unlimted so thats around $40-45 a month

5077509240.png

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

@GeekJump some times it really just comes down to you having to laugh or cry doesn't it.

11 hours ago, LtRavens said:

Please somebody make one of these haha. And Comcast...stop being Comcast for like 1 second god dang it. >_>

@CommandMan7's got us covered.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

We pay $85 for 80 down and 15 up. And as soon as I try to download something out network kills itself and crashes repeatedly. And at night when I like to play games, we get throttled to around 20 down 5 up. Dear god how we need Google Fiber.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

33 minutes ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

We pay $85 for 80 down and 15 up. And as soon as I try to download something out network kills itself and crashes repeatedly. And at night when I like to play games, we get throttled to around 20 down 5 up. Dear god how we need Google Fiber.

You call 20 down 5 up being throttled? When I get throttled, I actually get DNS errors, and maybe 3 down and a middle finger in my face for up. Supposed to be 10 down 1 up.

46 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

You call 20 down 5 up being throttled? When I get throttled, I actually get DNS errors, and maybe 3 down and a middle finger in my face for up. Supposed to be 10 down 1 up.

Throttling is throttling. Your ISP is just pure crap. DNS errors isn't even throttling, that's sabotage. 

4 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Throttling is throttling. Your ISP is just pure crap. DNS errors isn't even throttling, that's sabotage. 

its not sabotage, its inhumane.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

24 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

18 minutes ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

its not sabotage, its inhumane.

They claim that their network in this area is being throttled by the Verizon network they have to cross, to get to the nearest Level 3 backbone. I don't know if it's true or not. Supposedly, we are getting upped to 20Mbps in the next couple of months, when they get their own fiber line run between this area, and the Level 3 backbone. I guess we'll have to see.