Comcast begs Atlanta customers not to switch to Google Fiber

Guest Kloaked
37 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

They claim that their network in this area is being throttled by the Verizon network they have to cross, to get to the nearest Level 3 backbone. I don't know if it's true or not. Supposedly, we are getting upped to 20Mbps in the next couple of months, when they get their own fiber line run between this area, and the Level 3 backbone. I guess we'll have to see.

Might actually fix the problem. If Verizon is blocking traffic into their network, it would work if the ISP circumvents it. I'm guessing Verizon wants to be paid to accept the amount of traffic that enters their network. So your ISP has probably refused to pay the price Verizon has asked (probably an exorbitant amount). I'm guessing it's cheaper in the long run to run your own cables than paying Verizon from here on out. 

Imagine if everyone asked for bags of money for traffic to traverse their network. It would be like setting up a tollbooth in your neighborhood asking each car to pay for passage on your road and likewise you'd pay when driving on each and every road that isn't yours. Everything would become bogged down. 

PS. I'm assuming you get DNS errors at very specific time slots. Correct? 

10 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Might actually fix the problem. If Verizon is blocking traffic into their network, it would work if the ISP circumvents it. I'm guessing Verizon wants to be paid to accept the amount of traffic that enters their network. So your ISP has probably refused to pay the price Verizon has asked (probably an exorbitant amount). I'm guessing it's cheaper in the long run to run your own cables than paying Verizon from here on out. 

Imagine if everyone asked for bags of money for traffic to traverse their network. It would be like setting up a tollbooth in your neighborhood asking each car to pay for passage on your road and likewise you'd pay when driving on each and every road that isn't yours. Everything would become bogged down. 

PS. I'm assuming you get DNS errors at very specific time slots. Correct? 

From what I have been told, by a technician, off the record, it's not even that. "Verizon doesn't want to be an ISP anymore, and they basically don't give a shit about their networks." is what I was told.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

22 hours ago, Kloaked said:

Original Article: http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/02/as-google-fiber-hits-atlanta-comcast-says-dont-fall-for-the-hype/

comcast-google-fiber-hype-640x813.jpg

All of a sudden, Netflix, Youtube and so on will start to work properly on Xfinity connections. It's like it would work properly all along!

Yes yes, I know. Another user from le Reddit to tell us about something going on outside. Still, Comcast doing something like this tells me how much self-awareness they have (spoiler alert: none).

So Comcast enforces a 300GB data cap per month with a $35 extra premium for unlimited, and they wonder why they're in trouble. I'm thinking they'll probably waive the premium and up the cap (not eliminating it) to make their service more appealing to people who just don't feel like switching, if they were to do such a thing anyways. I can't imagine someone not wanting to switch to Google Fiber since it's less expensive and you get more for your money.

There's more stuff in the article, and I suggest everyone go read it.

Comcast is about to get rekt in Atlanta though. Atlanta is a very active city for business, more than people realize. Google getting this amount of business from Comcast is going to force Comcast's hand in offering better service (maybe (doubtfully)) which is what Google has wanted all along. Oh well. It may be too late for Comcast in Atlanta.

Its not about comcast offering better service there service is actually good problem is you can buy a new car almost per month for what the charge after the first 2 years.

6 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

From what I have been told, by a technician, off the record, it's not even that. "Verizon doesn't want to be an ISP anymore, and they basically don't give a shit about their networks." is what I was told.

What else does Verizon do beside be an ISP? 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, Suicidal Korean said:

I've no idea to be honest. They're shit at it, so they'd probably be shit at doing anything else.

All I know for certain, is that my internet fucking sucks.

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

I've no idea to be honest. They're shit at it, so they'd probably be shit at doing anything else.

Maybe they only want to be a Wireless ISP. But we really need some nation wide ISP competition.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Well, they could just sell their broadband business I'd think, unless it's so heavily intertwined with their cellular/wireless network infrastructure that it would be too much trouble to separate it to make a sale. 

17 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

And C) The router/modem you get from Comcast will probably be shit, and probably not be the one that the study used.

That's actually a good point because the study had two comcast gateways, one was the good one, the other was really bad. They probably give the cheapo one to most people and only give the other to people who complain.

2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

You call 20 down 5 up being throttled? When I get throttled, I actually get DNS errors, and maybe 3 down and a middle finger in my face for up. Supposed to be 10 down 1 up.

As said before, having DNS errors as a result of throttling makes no sense. For the network connection to be this bad, you would have gotten errors to the likes of a failure to access the servers.

Has the use of Google and/or Open DNS made any productive results?

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

1 hour ago, Suicidal Korean said:

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

What do you mean? They do mobile and land lines and cable (I guess that's still under ISP-ness)

But they also do business enterprise and charity for research/grants for stuff like education and energy, etc.

But as Trik said, they're shit at everything :P 

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

7 minutes ago, GeekJump said:

What do you mean? They do mobile and land lines and cable (I guess that's still under ISP-ness)

But they also do business enterprise and charity for research/grants for stuff like education and energy, etc.

But as Trik said, they're shit at everything :P 

I've been told by people at the verizon store I used to work next door to, that the Verizon ISP is a different company than the mobile carrier. Which sounds like bullshit to me.

I was told this, because one of their people got fired for not putting a password on the wifi, and everyone who worked at that strip-mall used their wifi (because the verizon signal was so shitty in that area), and they ended up with like $1800 in overages because of it.

OMG, I could never live without the voice remote! Oh, no I can't lose my (not) fastest in home Wi-Fi I have to rent equipment at $8/month to use.

Seriously, most people ditch the provider remotes and use universal ones anyways. I have my own ASUS RT-AC87U router that kicks their routers ass.

Can't wait for Google Fiber to come to San Jose, CA. Then I can cut my last tie with Comcast, their stupid internet. Already dropped them for DirecTV years ago and couldn't be happier.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

37 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I've been told by people at the verizon store I used to work next door to, that the Verizon ISP is a different company than the mobile carrier. Which sounds like bullshit to me.

I was told this, because one of their people got fired for not putting a password on the wifi, and everyone who worked at that strip-mall used their wifi (because the verizon signal was so shitty in that area), and they ended up with like $1800 in overages because of it.

What kind of bullshi- o.O They use the same logo and ad spots. I get promos in the mail with both Verizon Wireless and Verizon home services attached. If they are separate companies, they sure are buddy buddy lol THEY SHARE THE SAME WEBSITE FOR SHIT SAKE xD

I work at an office building and was told the reason we can't access the wifi was for a similar reason. It was open awhile back, people next to us used it for Netflix but denied doing it, we're charged +$1000 for going over, overseas HQ puts password only the GM knows (it's his cell #. Figured it out a month back but keeping that shit to MYSELF!)...

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

Tonight at 6pm EST my city votes whether to approve or reject Google Fiber.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

I lost it when their last point was that Google Fibre doesn't have the X1 voice remote. xD

You're getting a bit desperate if you have to use a remote as a reason not to change!

I live just outside Atlanta. 

The first chance I get to leave Comcast for ATT or Google Fiber I am taking it.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

1 hour ago, Valermos said:

I live just outside Atlanta. 

The first chance I get to leave Comcast for ATT or Google Fiber I am taking it.

Let us know how bad they try to screw you over for leaving. Record the calls, etc. Chances are they will claim you didn't return the equipment or some such bullshit, just so they can charge you a bit more.

I can taste Comcast being salty.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

I like how I don't care about anything on the checklist :P. 

Also I don't get the "Fastest in Home Wifi",  I guess they are talking about their included router, but the last time I tried on of those it was terrible.

Just need Google Fibre in Calgary, Canada. Best you can get here is like 100Mbps down + 10Mbps up for like $120 Canadian Peso's a month with Shaw. The ISP's here are probably the worse than the US since there is only three of them which have one big monopoly on the market. The government doesn't help either...

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Lets see Comast 100mps some of the time 

or Google 1000mps lets see 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

14 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Let us know how bad they try to screw you over for leaving. Record the calls, etc. Chances are they will claim you didn't return the equipment or some such bullshit, just so they can charge you a bit more.

I sure will. They are closed our local Comcast store for our area so I have to call them for everything now and it is 10x more painful.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Man; US has shitty data companies. We don't pay nearly as much while having no data cap (granted ,k at 30MB down , but we are getting fiber soon)

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case