Facebook-owned WhatsApp boasts a billion users

Facebook-owned WhatsApp boasts a billion users

By: Yahoo News

http://news.yahoo.com/facebook-owned-whatsapp-boasts-billion-users-002619651.html

Part-MVD-Mvd6736098-1-1-0.jpg

San Francisco (AFP) - Facebook-owned smartphone messaging service WhatsApp has hit the billion-user mark, according to the leading social network's chief and co-founder Mark Zuckerberg.

"One billion people now use WhatsApp," Zuckerberg said in a post on his Facebook page.

Well I guess that confirms that this app is popular. Not sure why personally as I don't use it and have no reason to start...

Recent media reports have indicated that Facebook is working behind the scenes to integrate WhatsApp more snugly into the world's leading social network by providing the ability to share information between the services

Though some of you know my personal feelings about Mark Zuckerburg I have to admit the company he started is achieving its goal of becoming over bloated.

Thoughts?

Edited by SansVarnic
Added link for source

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I do not think the company has achieved much. It is more of a company that can buyout other companies.  The Whatsapp was already projected to hit a billion users whether Facebook bought it or not.

28 minutes ago, Mathematical said:

I do not think the company has achieved much. It is more of a company that can buyout other companies.  The Whatsapp was already projected to hit a billion users whether Facebook bought it or not.

Your correct I will reword that.

Though I did not have plans to use Whats App I was rather sad to see Facebook buy it up.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

One billion. It's a freaking huge ass number. We claim we know hot to comprehend this but we probably don't fully in reality.

Well, 1 Billion users have Whatsapp. That is damn impressive.

wapp.PNG.9620b9189597cd4c29725fa2bf93e60

whatsapp-welcome-screen-hero.jpg?itok=Cj

WhatsApp passed a significant milestone today: the mobile messaging service owned by Facebook now has 

1 billion users

. That's good news for Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, who spearheaded the jaw-dropping 

$19 billion acquisition of WhatsApp

two years ago on the promise it could grow to become one of the world's most-used communication platforms. So while WhatsApp doesn't make any money, Facebook can certainly say it's popular — more so even than Facebook Messenger, which just 

passed 800 million users

WhatsApp had 450 million monthly active users before Facebook acquired it, and the small team led by co-founder and CEO Jan Koum has doubled the user base thanks in part to its ad-free stance and minimal design. According to regulatory filings, WhatsApp's annual sales before the Facebook acquisition were only $10.8 million, a vast majority of which came from charging some users $0.99 a year to use it. Facebook said last month it would eliminate the fee while WhatsApp would remain an ad-free service. The company plans on monetizing WhatsApp by turning it into a tool businesses can use to communicate with customers.

This is what Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Facebook (Facebook owns Whatsapp) had to say:

wa.PNG.435f08c89464dededd5f158159b4cf22.

Well, I must admit Mr Zuckerberg's message was a little creepy but 1 billion is a large number anyways.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Okay Facebook, now can we get a better distinction between Whatsapp and Facebook Messenger.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I like Whatsapp, but I wish they increased photo size on there. Messenger sucks for photos and so does Whatsapp. :|

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I will never in a million years understand why we need 15,000 diffrent messaging applications for mobile.

Its a phone, it calls and texts. There ya go! okay maybe you have internet friends, so you got fb messenger and maybe skype?

But what bloody use is anymore

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

1 minute ago, ZetZet said:

I like Whatsapp, but I wish they increased photo size on there. Messenger sucks for photos and so does Whatsapp. :|

This

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, ZetZet said:

And videos, they look horrendous at 360-480p.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

7 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

I will never in a million years understand why we need 15,000 diffrent messaging applications for mobile.

Its a phone, it calls and texts. There ya go! okay maybe you have internet friends, so you got fb messenger and maybe skype?

But what bloody use is anymore more.

Skype for phones is cancer. 

Whatsapp works without data for simple messages so that's why people use it. nvm, guess it doesn't. never noticed.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I'm in the minority, and I'm not trying to be a hipster, but can someone explain to me what WhatsApp is? 1 billion users, and yet I've never heard of it. 

2 minutes ago, NonaHexa said:

I'm in the minority, and I'm not trying to be a hipster, but can someone explain to me what WhatsApp is? 1 billion users, and yet I've never heard of it. 

Just another message app.

Spoiler

What's the number of users of the telephone service? The world was already connected, whatsapp is just a (not particularly good) internet chat client that does nothing new and is only used over others because of popularity and userbase.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

What's the number of users of the telephone service? The world was already connected, whatsapp is just a (not particularly good) internet chat client that does nothing new and is only used over others because of popularity and userbase.

whatsapp is better than fb messenger, at least it doesn't use 20% of your battery :/

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

whatsapp is better than fb messenger, at least it doesn't use 20% of your battery :/

I wasn't talking about fb messenger ^^ that's even worse garbage

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I wasn't talking about fb messenger ^^ that's even worse garbage

there is nothing particularly bad about whatsapp imo. has all the features you could need. media quality is low however, wish they increased that.

Spoiler

I like WhatsApp, but it's pretty annoying sometimes...

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

4 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

there is nothing particularly bad about whatsapp imo. has all the features you could need. media quality is low however, wish they increased that.

No decent encription, no proper desktop support, meh file sharing and requires a phone number. Not so with, say, telegram.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Only way to keep in touch with all my mates as they all insist on different things and whatsapp is pretty much universal

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

I have no idea what whatsapp is, from what I can see here it seems to be some pointless facebook messaging system or something, either way seems dumb to me.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

3 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

I have no idea what whatsapp is, from what I can see here it seems to be some pointless facebook messaging system or something, either way seems dumb to me.

Whatever cave you lived in.... I want some of that.

It's a free messaging app which is super popular and owned by facebook.

2 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Wtf is Whatsapp?

You're gonna have to show me your cave one time! Really blocks all modern stuff out.

It's a free messaging app which is super popular and owned by facebook.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

19 minutes ago, NonaHexa said:

It seems Americans had that response to this, I wonder if it is more common abroad

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful