Facebook-owned WhatsApp boasts a billion users

9 minutes ago, Sauron said:

No decent encription, no proper desktop support, meh file sharing and requires a phone number. Not so with, say, telegram.

don't care, there is a third party app for desktop or you can log in with chrome and get notifications through chrome. 

3 minutes ago, Minzo said:

What's wrong with texting?

no pictures, videos, voice chat

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Whatever cave you lived in.... I want some of that.

It's a free messaging app which is super popular and owned by facebook.

You're gonna have to show me your cave one time! Really blocks all modern stuff out.

It's a free messaging app which is super popular and owned by facebook.

See you said Facebook, which I don't use. My cave is pretty nice though.

2 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

You don't need Facebook to use whatsapp. Facebook bought it after it took off. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Just now, byalexandr said:

Thing is. It is related in name only.If I showed it to you, you would have no idea that facebook owned it. FYI it's more of a thing in lesser developed countries

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

I don't think it is a big thing in America since all the people who don't know what it is thus far are american

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

I don't think it is a big thing in America since all the people who don't know what it is thus far are american

muricans use imessage thing

Spoiler

1 minute ago, ZetZet said:

You don't need Facebook to use whatsapp. Facebook bought it after it took off. 

Hmm. So I suppose it's like Snapchat or whatever? I don't like those things anyways.

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

Hmm. So I suppose it's like Snapchat or whatever? I don't like those things anyways.

no, it's like skype, just far less broken. 

Spoiler

Just now, ZetZet said:

Oh, I might try it then.

Just now, Minzo said:

You can send all of those over MMS right?

Yup. And all for free.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, Minzo said:

You can send all of those over MMS right?

MMS is dead bro.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

Um most people use skype for voice chats, so it's like skype without it's main feature? I'm going to stick with discord.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, Minzo said:

So why all those apps?

I guess I'm late to the party then...

Facebook was like, damnit we need to have the ability to message people on the go for free using a facebook account.

Whatsapp was like that but different.

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Um most people use skype for voice chats, so it's like skype without it's main feature? I'm going to stick with discord.

you can voice chat over whatsapp. you can even send short voice messages, which you can't do over skype.

Spoiler

1b regular users or just 1b application installs because they're 2 very different things.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

19 minutes ago, Sauron said:

What's the number of users of the telephone service? The world was already connected, whatsapp is just a (not particularly good) internet chat client that does nothing new and is only used over others because of popularity and userbase.

4 minutes ago, Minzo said:

I don't use messenger or whats app.

What's wrong with texting?

10 minutes ago, Sauron said:

No decent encription, no proper desktop support, meh file sharing and requires a phone number. Not so with, say, telegram.

"In many markets outside the United States, apps like WhatsApp are much more viable, as texting is much more expensive due to per-day and per-message fees.". wikipedia.

and whatsapp have been there for such a long time with so many user base, and also it's free of ads. Telegram?, Yes I use it too, but unfortunately not so with most of my friends.

1 hour ago, ZetZet said:

I like Whatsapp, but I wish they increased photo size on there. Messenger sucks for photos and so does Whatsapp. :|

Captain here: Facebook has been pushing really hard to have whatsapp be included for free on most carriers, everywhere(Free as in you can still use it even without a data plan active or with enough money). You can imagine that the condition of most carriers was "But we're not gonna be transferring 5mb pictures for free now would we?"

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Captain here: Facebook has been pushing really hard to have whatsapp be included for free on most carriers, everywhere. You can imagine that the condition of most carriers was "But we're not gonna be transferring 5mb pictures for free now would we?"

so like, have an option for large files over wi-fi or smth.

Spoiler

Just now, ZetZet said:

so like, have an option for large files over wi-fi or smth.

That might be coming though: Facebook app usually tells me when I'm "leaving" and will be using data and has the option to kill videos and such if you activate the "free" version.

-------

Current Rig

-------

17 minutes ago, Lynx said:

"In many markets outside the United States, apps like WhatsApp are much more viable, as texting is much more expensive due to per-day and per-message fees.". wikipedia.

and whatsapp have been there for such a long time with so many user base, and also it's free of ads. Telegram?, Yes I use it too, but unfortunately not so with most of my friends.

uhm... telegram also uses the internet?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

9 minutes ago, Sauron said:

uhm... telegram also uses the internet?

Yes, So?

17 minutes ago, Lynx said:

Yes, So?

why did you quote me?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

why did you quote me?

Sorry, must be some misunderstanding from me.

just never mind.