The Fine Bros appologize for "misunderstanding".

AlTech

So the Fine Brothers, famous for their react series of videos and arguably being the brains that popularized the genre, caused quite a stir when they released their video about React World.

Opinion: Their first video was more ambiguous than a legal document. And that's saying something!

So what did they possibly do wrong?

Well here's what:

They trademarked the word "React" so legally, if you use the word react they could fine you (funny cos their last name is fine), they could also sue you.

Benny and Rafi Fine — the creators of the popular React channels — announced on January 26th their intention to license the React format. Although they claim the licensing program, called React World, would be, “a huge step… for the entire global media industry,” most creators saw it as a massive leap backward capping off several weeks of turmoil on the platform.

While the React World FAQ explicitly states, "we do not hold a copyright on reaction videos overall," many creators still felt concerned that the move could see reaction videos of any kind taken down for infringement by Fullscreen, Inc, the multi-channel network3(MCN) which represents the Fine Bros, FOX, and NBCUniversal among others. More confusingly, the same FAQ dances around whether or not React World is an MCN stating: "We are not an MCN from the perspective of what passes for an MCN4 these days." 

At first it seemed users' worst fears were coming true, as videos began to surface of creators whose work had been blocked by Fullscreen, the most egregious of which came from LeKevPlays — 10-subscriber strong YouTuber whose video was manually5 blocked after a whopping 8 views. Then earlier tonight, the Fine Bros posted a video simply entitled "Update."

"You could start [a restaurant] on your own and possibly find huge success, but if you love Burger King and want to be part of that organization, if you joined you'd be able to get access to things like menu items and recipes and specific logos and promotional support. It's the same kind of things with React World: you can join... or make your own reaction videos completely without us."

Seemingly the message for the digital fry cooks of the world is clear: we'll stop taking down your videos. A note in the description of the update states, "If you have a Content ID claim, we are working to resolve the issue by early next week," presumably alluding to the takedowns that occurred between the 26th and tonight. For all other issues, the Fine Bros posted their email address and promised to be "personally checking" it. 

All this comes after several weeks of mounting tension on the platform as more creators publish videos critical of YouTube.

And as a result here's what the Fine Bros had to say:

This is a really large amount of BS. I hope YouTube gets cleaned up cos right now it's a big mess.

http://mashable.com/2016/01/26/fine-bros-react-videos/#lDU7WKLix8qc

Leave a comment below!

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

it did give us this fantastic song

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I still don't understand how they thought they could casually say that they were going to license out a format of 'reaction videos' and manage the revenue for the channels that make them. How can you trademark a reaction, these guys increased the bounds of stupidity, I've never seen something so dumb before.

3 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

it did give us this fantastic song

That's a damn good Rap.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I've said it before and I'll say it again; you can't license a human response. They probably felt that, as the biggest source on YouTube to capture different age-groups' reactions to a large range of random things, their integrity was comprimised because other people have been doing it for years, too.

It's almost like TheRadBrad trying to copyright Let's Play!(s)

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

Well, you know what they say!

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
And the fact there was so much confusion about it, could only mean 1 thing...

It was something SO BAD they couldn't even market it properly.

Turns out it is, and we realised that and responded, and it looks like they realised they made a mistake.

Still crap, but could be worse.

I do still hate them for all this :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

All I'm getting from them is PR double speak. They aren't apologizing. They'll be apologizing when they pull this system.

In the meantime I'll be watching their sub count go down: http://www.thefinebrosdemiselive.com/

As an avid watcher of their content, their show quality has been going down the drain these past few months. I think they're trying to do so much at once and it's all coming back at them.

I'll just stop watching and see where they want to take this. Hopefully they don't get their "REACT" trademark, utter BS they even got their "X Reacts" ones. There's been TONS of react videos way before they started doing them, there was even a specific "Seniors React" that debut a month before they started doing their "Elders React", which the Seniors React video has been taken down by the Fine Bros.

Here are the two videos;

While I disagree with pretty much everything they did, I do believe people misunderstand it intentionally.
I mean they can't actually trademark a reaction nor do I believe that they have. What they did was trademark their format which I assume means having a bunch of people belonging to a specific group react across the span of a video and then a Q&A about what the viewers saw. I'm certain you can still make a personal react video of you just reacting.

With that being said. I think it was bs to apply for the trademark to begin with and it seems like they did at first try go for the all out corporate greediness until it backfired and are now gonna be a bit more lenient in their enforcement to avoid losing their audience. They are definitely doing the PR damage control right now trying to mitigate the damage and anger. They are probably not being as sincere as they claim to be. I mean they're afraid of losing their revenue instead of increasing it like they hoped to do with this failure of a plan.

So they dun goofd and are backpedaling as little as possible. And yes, that was no error. They're not canceling their "React World" program it would seem. So they're not reversing their decision at all. They will try to only reverse the most severe parts of the program in order to maximize the gain. So their job is now to find out how much they can do without pissing people off. So they discovered that kicking people in the face was too much, now they'll try to find out if a bitch slap is okay.

Hey dipshits: You're trademarking a word (react) Maybe you should try to understand how the motherfucking trademark system works before you submit such a stupid one.

Incidentally I don't know if you know this but I have a trademark on "Shitty non-apology" videos so I will see you in court.

-------

Current Rig

-------

They're not specifically saying what their 'format' is so they can screw creators over semantics. Their update doesn't even explain what their 'format' is so they're likely hiding something that greatly benefits them.

1 hour ago, TrigrH said:

road to 13mil (live):

-snip-

To be honest I'm actually amazed people are "putting their money where their mouth is" and are actually un-subbing. 

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

13 minutes ago, LtRavens said:

To be honest I'm actually amazed people are "putting their money where their mouth is" and are actually un-subbing. 

I'm not surprised: they have 13 fucking million, a couple hundred thousand equates about 1% of their audience that's properly informed on it. I mean it's funny to see the unsub meters and all but it's pretty fucking meaningless if you think about it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

15 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I'm not surprised: they have 13 fucking million, a couple hundred thousand equates about 1% of their audience that's properly informed on it. I mean it's funny to see the unsub meters and all but it's pretty fucking meaningless if you think about it.

Fair point. Watching as their sub counts drop.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Am I the only one who sees the mention of FOX and NBC and immediately knows where this is coming from? We need to keep the major networks OFF of Youtube.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

i dont see why anyone even cares they make react videos and aren't going to pursue copy write stuff so why do people care

LG 34" 21:9 1440p

1080ti EVGA FTW3

i7 8700k @ 5GHz 1.3V Delidded

Misunderstanding my ass.

22 hours ago, Lotus said:

They HAVE been going after small youtube channels and attempting to shut them down based solely on the name. They claim they can't copyright "react" and that's true. They're trademarking it. It's horribly shady.

Case #1: Ellen DeGeneres Show (not an example of a youtube complaint, but an example of how little common ground is required for them to think they should go after you)
https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/43e6a9/link_inside_in_2014_the_fine_bros_told_its/

Case #2: Seniors React (videos from 2012, show predates FineBros' Elders react)
https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/43fdw3/seniors_react_originally_posted_apr_3_2012_was/

Case #3: FineBros admitting in AMA that simply using two words in your title will result in a youtube takedown regardless of content:
http://imgur.com/oik8CsA

Note: Case #3 will soon be expanded to simply using the word "react" as that trademark has also been filed. Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn86689364&docId=NOP20160113074621

14 minutes ago, Poofu said:

i dont see why anyone even cares they make react videos and aren't going to pursue copy write stuff so why do people care

Do you understand how a trademark works? It means you're literally saying "I will legally fight anyone infringing on it" otherwise you run the risk of losing your trademark.

That's the issue: people are upset that this lying sacks of shit are apologizing when legally, they're basically saying they will do the exact opposite and strike react videos everywhere. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

CGP Grey was actually moved to make a parody, which is impressive. As someone on reddit put it, its like "the quiet kid in the back of class stood up and yelled".

And then he made a parody "Update" video!

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

Misunderstanding my ass.

Shit, I knew about the rest but I didn't think they'd actually attempt trademarking the word. They are doing EXACTLY the same as Candy Crush with candy and saga trademark attempts. Hopefully it will get thrown out

----

My only regret is I didn't hop on the reaction to 'React World" video train :/ people that did are getting thousands of views and subs lol...

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)