Scared to Overclock.

I have a general idea of what my build is gonna be, a 4690k with a z97 sli krait motherboard and an r9 390, and I just have this sense of being scared to overclock. it's my first time building a computer let alone an overclockable computer and I get scared of something not going to plan, or in extreme cases having it blow up or have too much heat to where it won't function and such.. are there any tips or any warnings you guys can give me? I just don't understand the RAM overclock as well as the VCore, the VCore is the one that makes me scared because I don't really understand what percentage/number is good for lets say 4.4ghz..

I have a general idea of what my build is gonna be, a 4690k with a z97 sli krait motherboard and an r9 390, and I just have this sense of being scared to overclock. it's my first time building a computer let alone an overclockable computer and I get scared of something not going to plan, or in extreme cases having it blow up or have too much heat to where it won't function and such.. are there any tips or any warnings you guys can give me? I just don't understand the RAM overclock as well as the VCore, the VCore is the one that makes me scared because I don't really understand what percentage/number is good for lets say 4.4ghz..

Well which cooler do you have?

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

If you're scared, then it's probably best that you don't do it.

My ~$200 USD build:

AMD A8-7600    G. Skill Ripjaws Z @1800 CAS 8     EVGA 500w 80+ PSU    Gigabyte GAF2A68HM-DS2H Motherboard

If your scared just dont do it and its very unlikely it will 'blow up'

https://soundcloud.com/tmabird/everybodys-circulation

and if you have enough fans das good

but if your scared about bricking your mobo

yeah i know the feels

Turn the components you are overclocking off auto voltage. Then Simply bump your clock speeds up till it becomes unstable, using the default voltage you can't hurt anything. Probably get a few hundred more MHz.

Well which cooler do you have?

i have a cryorig h7, with the included 2 case fans in the nzxt s340

Turn the components you are overclocking off auto voltage. Then Simply bump your clock speeds up till it becomes unstable, using the default voltage you can't hurt anything. Probably get a few hundred more MHz.

i'm trying to have like a white/black color scheme hence why I went with the oc'd cpu, there isn't any h97 mobo's that are white/black at a reasonable price :(

i have a cryorig h7, with the included 2 case fans in the nzxt s340

Ok then. The best thing you can do is just bump up the mhz until you're happy, at stock voltage of course. This way there isn't much risk of harming anything (You're computer won't "blow up", just so you know)

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Don't do it all then. I was pretty scared of overclocking when I first did it. Hell, I was scared of BSODs for some reason. If you really want to OC, just do the basics: raise the multiplier up while increasing the CPU core voltage until it's stable by doing benchmarks. The chances of a fire happening or blowing up is mostly low.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

First of all, nobody understands ram overclocking. Not even us ram overclockers. It's not something you can explain either. Boards randomly train things sometimes. Certain BIOS updates will break your stability, and then you have CPU IMC quality, or the quality of the IC's themselves. Out of all of the possible ram timings, we probably only understand roughly half of them, and I guarantee you that out of the 50% that we do understand, 25% of that was trial and error. Don't feel bad for not being able to understand that aspect.

As for CPU overclocking, it's not really complicated at all, as long as you know how to set limitations for yourself, and take baby steps. Step 1, always monitor temperatures. Get a baseline reading of your temperatures BEFORE you overclock, to make sure you can even handle the overclock in the first place. This will rule out bad seating of your heatsink, bad thermal paste, or (god forbid) bad luck on a chip having air bubbles under the IHS. If you can take the heavy stress on stock settings with good temps, then start slowly. See how far you can overclock, 100mhz at a time, on stock voltage. Testing for 15 minutes of Linpack (You can use XTU) in between each step. Once you fail to post, or fail a stress test, dial it back and be satisfied, or add slightly more voltage. When i say slightly, i mean slightly. Like 10mv. Eventually you will hit a wall, where 10mv isnt enough to keep things stable, and may even require 20, 30, or even 40mv to get that last 100mhz that you want. It is up to you to decide if its worth it. Just remember to keep an eye on your thermals, and to be realistic. Don't come into this thinking you are gonna come away with a 5ghz overclock.

I'll end this by saying, if overclocking scares you, be aware that you do void your warranty when overclocking. The only way to keep your warranty when overclocking, is with one of these plans: https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

My advice? Buy a cheap G3258 for $50-$70, and practice with it. Go nuts, blow it up if you have to. Learn everything you can about overclocking on that little chip, then apply what you know to the big chip. That way, you don't run the risk of messing your current chip up.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

My advice would be to not overclock it.  Just leave it alone.  Do some research, read up on it until you feel comfortable and confident that you know what you're doing.  Then give it a shot.  Go at your own pace.  

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

The thing to remember about overclocking is to go I teeny tiny steps. Only increase the multiplier by 1 and only increase voltage when you get bsods, and increase it by 0.05 at the most. It takes time and patience but this way you won't hit insane temps. Just keep temps below 85°C and voltage below 1.35 (or if you're still worried keep it below 1.3) and you'll be fine.

I was like you at first, but I got comfortable with it. Don't listen to the ppl telling you not to overclock. Just be smart about it, find some good guides and take it slow.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

Just use the Msi overclock setting in bios. It does it automatically and is pretty safe

First do your build and get that running 100% stable.  Give it a week or two of constant use to be sure it's all good.

Then if you want to overclock, go ahead since you know your working from solid hardware and drivers. If your still unsure about clocking

then don't do it until you are sure.