The PC is the largest gaming platform worldwide (just not in the way you'd think)

Napper198

A report done by SuperData shows us that the PC is in fact a larger platform than Mobile but considering what took it there it is no surprise.

The bottom line for 2015: PC gaming is "an undervalued platform... contrary to the amount of attention that is generally paid to mobile gaming, total revenues from the PC gaming market is larger ($32 billion) than that of mobile ($25 billion)."

Before the "PC Master Race" folks take this as vindication for the superiority of mouse-and-keyboard controls for first-person shooters or something, it's worth pointing out the types of PC games that are generating most of that revenue. SuperData reckons free-to-play MMOs generated more than half of all PC gaming revenues in 2015 ($17 billion), with "social network-based gaming" taking another 25 percent of the total revenue haul ($8 billion).

I didn't expect for PC to be the biggest platform but now that makes a ton of sense.

Am I happy about it? No. Can I blame them? I'd like to but not really.

Source: SuperData

As seen on: Ars Technica

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

Ofc mmorpgs with microtransactions are the biggest money makers

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I knew we were bigger than any of the consoles.

But I didn't think we were bigger than mobile.

Well, China didn't have consoles, so they all played MMO's on PC's. China has a lot of ppl. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I still don't know how people can spend thousands of dollars in MMOs

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

That also raises some interesting questions:

What would consoles (or their revenue) would look like if they had a lot of these kind of games?

Is it a good thing that there are very few (if any) games like that on consoles?

Is it a bad thing that all these games are on PC?

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

Is it just me or do other think of mobile gaming as a very different type of gaming from PC gaming? I call mobile gaming 'gaming' only due to the lack of a better word. It like bicycling versus driving in a way.

Doesn't surprise me tbh.

Just because something seems quiet publicly, doesn't mean it isn't there in the background dominating.

As for F2P MMO's .... that's not news .. F2P games micro transactions actually end up being ridiculously!!! expensive for a player in the long run.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

What would consoles (or their revenue) would look like if they had a lot of these kind of games?

Is it a good thing that there are very few (if any) games like that on consoles?

You think consoles could have MMORPG's? 30 shortcuts are pretty hard on a controller. Not to mention CPU calculations needed to determine all the positions of players would be so hard on a console, my xeon chokes in games like blade and soul. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I don't think the numbers mean anything now that games charge extra for DLC and have microtransactions.  A few years back I played a free game on my phone, where the top player openly admitted to spending over $30,000 to get to the position they were in.  It sounds insane, but there's tons of people out there that just have enormous amounts of money to piss away on stuff like that, across all platforms.  So when you base anything on profits I don't think you're getting a very accurate description of the actual number of people playing.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

Get lost you want to tell me mobile games make 25bil$ with fucking what broken touchie games with graphics from 2004 that cost 5$? im not believing shit.

Maybe 25bil$ from all apps sales not including ads.

I don't think the numbers mean anything now that games charge extra for DLC and have microtransactions.  A few years back I played a free game on my phone, where the top player openly admitted to spending over $30,000 to get to the position they were in.  It sounds insane, but there's tons of people out there that just have enormous amounts of money to piss away on stuff like that, across all platforms.  So when you base anything on profits I don't think you're getting a very accurate description of the actual number of people playing.

you're right about the number of people playing. but it isn't about that number, its about how much money is being spent by the platform.

if 100 people on platform A spend max $50 and 25 people on platform B spend $1,000, guess where the marketing efforts are going?

Doesn't surprise me tbh.

Just because something seems quiet publicly, doesn't mean it isn't there in the background dominating.

As for F2P MMO's .... that's not news .. F2P games micro transactions actually end up being ridiculously!!! expensive for a player in the long run.

I am aware of this I just thought that the share on mobile would be bigger.

You think consoles could have MMORPG's? 30 shortcuts are pretty hard on a controller. Not to mention CPU calculations needed to determine all the positions of players would be so hard on a console, my xeon chokes in games like blade and soul. 

I'm thinking less MMO and more Farmville and that shit, but true. Hardware limitation is one thing and the games that are on it being crap is another one.

Maybe this is also due to consoles being owned by kids who don't even have their own credit card and always need to ask their parents for money  :P

you're right about the number of people playing. but it isn't about that number, its about how much money is being spent by the platform.

if 100 people on platform A spend max $50 and 25 people on platform B spend $1,000, guess where the marketing efforts are going?

My mistake.  I thought that was what OP was getting at by saying 'larger platform' or 'biggest platform' opposed to most profitable platform.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

A report done by SuperData shows us that the PC is in fact a larger platform than Mobile but considering what took it there it is no surprise.

I didn't expect for PC to be the biggest platform but now that makes a ton of sense.

Am I happy about it? No. Can I blame them? I'd like to but not really.

Source: SuperData

As seen on: Ars Technica

They include Mobas into f2p mmorpgs.

MMORPGs are on consoles too, they're just not as good as PC (not unlike the rest of the comparison)

edit: I've been playing Smite since the early closed beta and ended up spending over 300 dollars in skin + god pack for that game. I dont regret it because it was cosmetics only.

tfw i definitely spent more money on heroes of the storm compared to how much i spent in every major Steam sales, humblebundles, humble mobile bundle and humble monthly bundles combined in 2015 alone.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I still don't know how people can spend thousands of dollars in MMOs

How can people spend thousands of dollars on their shoes?

How can people spend thousands of dollars on food?

How can people spend thousands of dollars on bicycles?

How can people spend thousands of dollars on computers?

How can people spend thousands of dollars on RC cars?

Same fucking way. They spend their money on what they like. 

Spoiler

Well they put Elder Scrolls Online and Planetside 2 on consoles. Wasn't there also a Final Fantasy game there too?

Not all MMO's have a myriad of superfluous abilities.

well i mean asia loves mmos, and tbh the MMO is a pretty good type of game if you have to play in internet cafes 

Well they put Elder Scrolls Online and Planetside 2 on consoles. Wasn't there also a Final Fantasy game there too?

Planetside is a shooter, ESO is also minimalistic compared to PC MMO's, that's why it's so boring for everyone. 

Spoiler

There are very very few F2P games on PC that I actually respect. And they are the kinds of F2P games that only have paywalls for cosmetic items. If a game has items that are locked away behind paywalls that give someone else an advantage over me, then no thank you. On mobile devices I don't even consider looking at games that are free, as I know those will either be shit and full of ads or full of paywalls and micro transactions.

I knew it, and also MMO games were always popular, I enjoy them a ton myself.

While on the other hand I can't believe how much mobile grown, pretty much everything is atrocious.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

F2P are the biggest money makers? No surprise there, just look at companies like Nexon, with games like MapleStory and Mabinogi. Or Valve with TF2 and CSGO.

Right FFXIV: ARR on PS4 is identical to the PC Version minus the PS4 version having less graphics settings, you can even hook a keyboard and mouse up to your PS4 and play FFXIV that way or use the controller if you want.  Its pretty impressive really and I love how the console players and PC player play together.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump