AMD Zen to Bring Greater than 40% IPC Increase, New Reports Suggests

Mr_Troll

meh, why bother with laptops. Get a real PC....

or hell, just build a mITX rig, you can carry it around and if you are really clever adn get something like a 295x2 or Fury X2 (yes, these GPUs work perfectly fine in mITX cases aslong as you have clearance for GPU length + radiator) and a 6700k, and really, you get the most bad-ass system possible

One of my best friends bought a 295x2 at the same sale i did. He has it installed in a Corsair 380T alongside a 4790k.... Yeah, the 380T IS on the large side of ITX, but still. Try find a more potent setup that you can effortlessly pick up and move about :P

Ummmmm. No. This is the stupidest thing I've heard. I need a laptop to use for portability and a PC isn't portable.

Architecture matters a lot, but going twice as wide, with faster caches, on a first-time use of a barely-tested process? I think 4GHz stock speeds on a quad core would be an astonishing feat. AMD will certainly be aiming for that, of course, but accomplishing a new CPU design, on a vastly new process, bringing it to market, and reaching those types of speeds at the claimed level of performance would probably be the single largest jump in CPU performance in at least a decade.

Of course, they actually have to make that jump to stand a chance of catching Intel's high-end client CPUs.

AMD has some amazing engineers. I'm hoping that they're successful.

It's from excavator! Not bulldozer... Jeez. When will you people stop repeating that?

i'm sure it won't be anywhere near 40% faster per clock than an excavator part.

AMD, intel, nvidia...whenever any of these huge ass companies are taunting numbers in advance out of their asses like that you always have to take them with a pinch of salt.

Amd taunting 40% mean they more likely have a 20% faster part overall, with peaks at +30% perf under best case scenario.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

i'm sure it won't be anywhere near 40% faster per clock than an excavator part.

AMD, intel, nvidia...whenever any of these huge ass companies are taunting numbers in advance out of their asses like that you always have to take them with a pinch of salt.

Amd taunting 40% mean they more likely have a 20% faster part overall, with peaks at +30% perf under best case scenario.

No. I wholly disagree.

No. I wholly disagree.

remember how the FuryX was supposedly 10 to 15% faster than the GTX 980ti according to AMD's own in house benchmarks? what's up with that?

or how bulldozer was supposed to be a much faster part and a true update to the phenom line of CPU and everybody ordered them to realise they were actually even slower than the CPU they just replaced? what's up with that too?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

remember how the FuryX was supposedly 10 to 15% faster than the GTX 980ti according to AMD's own in house benchmarks? what's up with that?

or how bulldozer was supposed to be a much faster part and a true update to the phenom line of CPU and everybody ordered them to realise they were actually even slower than the CPU they just replaced? what's up with that too?

Overclockers dream on those Fury cards.

Fury X IS faster than the reference Ti. And Zen is completely different to Bulldozer so I think anyone that thinks AMD won't achieve the goal they set don't know anything about tech.

Overclockers dream on those Fury cards.

yeah soooo true i forgot about that!!

Fury X IS faster than the reference Ti. And Zen is completely different to Bulldozer...

and i'm a pink unicorn on a rainbow shitting skittles all over the place.

one thing for sure, Zen is AMD's last and final push for enthusiast CPU market so let's hope people buy them.

meh, why bother with laptops. Get a real PC....

or hell, just build a mITX rig, you can carry it around and if you are really clever adn get something like a 295x2 or Fury X2 (yes, these GPUs work perfectly fine in mITX cases aslong as you have clearance for GPU length + radiator) and a 6700k, and really, you get the most bad-ass system possible

One of my best friends bought a 295x2 at the same sale i did. He has it installed in a Corsair 380T alongside a 4790k.... Yeah, the 380T IS on the large side of ITX, but still. Try find a more potent setup that you can effortlessly pick up and move about :P

I've got a GTX 970+4790K with 16GB RAM. I need a better laptop for when I'm not at home. Even if I upgraded this to 8GB RAM+ replaced the ODD with a caddy so I could have a 1TB HDD+240GB SSD in this laptop, I'm still let down by the Phenom II N970 and MR HD5650. They manage to be surprisingly good for there age and can still play the latest games (at minimum) but its not good enough when it takes forever to convert HVEC videos+runs out of its 1GB vRAM.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I think anyone that thinks AMD won't achieve the goal they set don't know anything about tech.

tumblr inline nmdgmts10N1rcatwu 540

"If you ain't first, you're last"

@i_build_nanosuits

i am willing to believe in the 40% over Excavator, just like i am willing to believe in Nvidia saying Pascal being 10x faster at compute then Maxwell.

after all, 40x/10x terrible = acceptable.

Fury X IS faster than the reference Ti. And Zen is completely different to Bulldozer so I think anyone that thinks AMD won't achieve the goal they set don't know anything about tech.

Yes it is faster than a reference Ti.  Then you overclock the Ti, and it wins.  Or you get an aftermarket one for $10-$20 more and it runs cool, quiet, and can OC.  The Fury X can't.  It's good for quiet, unless you get coil whine, which many of the initial batches and even some later had horrible coil whine.  The Fury is, and has been the better option, and now with the Nitro being overclockable by around 100 - 200mhz to where it comes within distance to touch the reference Ti(but not quite), it's definitely far better.  The Fury X is, to myself, and many others - a dead in the water card.(I made a funny!)  The Fury, truly is a Dam Good Value B) and especially if they decrease pricing further.

Yes it is faster than a reference Ti. Then you overclock the Ti, and it wins. Or you get an aftermarket one for $10-$20 more and it runs cool, quiet, and can OC. The Fury X can't. It's good for quiet, unless you get coil whine, which many of the initial batches and even some later had horrible coil whine. The Fury is, and has been the better option, and now with the Nitro being overclockable by around 100 - 200mhz to where it comes within distance to touch the reference Ti(but not quite), it's definitely far better. The Fury X is, to myself, and many others - a dead in the water card.(I made a funny!) The Fury, truly is a Dam Good Value B) and especially if they decrease pricing further.

We're not looking at overclocking the Ti. Reference vs Reference at stock? Fury X wins.

We're not looking at overclocking the Ti. Reference vs Reference at stock? Fury X wins.

Yup true. Ti overclocks better and wins after OC but Fury X wins at stock. Also Nvidia has typically had better optimization for games, if you look at raw compute performance for example AMD cards have pretty much always been ahead of Nvidia ones. With AMD's new GPUOpen iniative Polaris may be better than Pascal. However, Pascal does aim to increase compute by quite a bit (10x maxwell isn't too good, but still ok), so we still don't know yet. Guess we will have to wait 6 months to find out for sure which ones is better!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Yup true. Ti overclocks better and wins after OC but Fury X wins at stock. Also Nvidia has typically had better optimization for games, if you look at raw compute performance for example AMD cards have pretty much always been ahead of Nvidia ones. With AMD's new GPUOpen iniative Polaris may be better than Pascal. However, Pascal does aim to increase compute by quite a bit (10x maxwell isn't too good, but still ok), so we still don't know yet. Guess we will have to wait 6 months to find out for sure which ones is better!

I truly hope it's Polaris.

What about factory OC'd? Which is bought as-is off the shelf? Custom AIB versions in essence. Those give the Fury X a headache ;):P

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

I truly hope it's Polaris.

I hope it's not. Let Intel lock horns with Nvidia on both fronts. AMD is in no position to be challenging either one long-term, much less both of them. It's like a sick puppy with cancer. Just put it out of its misery already.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I hope it's not. Let Intel lock horns with Nvidia on both fronts. AMD is in no position to be challenging either one long-term, much less both of them. It's like a sick puppy with cancer. Just put it out of its misery already.

Apple was also a sick puppy with cancer in the 90's. AMD will rebound and make life very difficult for both Intel and Nvidia.

AMD will rebound and make life very difficult for both Intel and AMD.

Agreed on the AMD will make life difficult for AMD ;)

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

Apple was also a sick puppy with cancer in the 90's. AMD will rebound and make life very difficult for both Intel and Nvidia.

Yeah, and that and $5 will buy you a cheap coffee.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

This 40% increase is probably still slower than current gen intel cpu's. When AMD is bought out by a Chinese company we will finally see some improvements. 

This 40% increase is probably still slower than current gen intel cpu's. When AMD is bought out by a Chinese company we will finally see some improvements. 

The US government wouldn't allow that you realise? Even though China is what keeps the US afloat ATM.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

You have a personal bias against AMD. Why should anyone take you seriously when you talk about them?

I have nothing against AMD. What I have is well-founded doubt that it will ever recover to the point it can be a strong enough force to be the competition consumers want. The leadership isn't there, and neither is the vision. There's only repetition of past endeavors and amateur mistakes being made left and right. And Jim Keller is good, but he's been playing the mobile game for a decade. The same could be said of Raja Koduri. And Nvidia and Intel won't just slouch. The moment AMD actually becomes competitive, they'll leap forward and wipe out AMD's progress in the best case. In the worst case on the CPU side Intel's already much closer to theoretical performance limits than anyone else, and every baby step forward is more and more expensive. On the GPU side, Nvidia could afford to drop prices into the floor to wipe out AMD's financial gains.

AMD is too vulnerable no matter how you slice up 2016. I do not see it being viable, decent competition long-term. People should take me seriously because I'm articulate, objective, well-reasoned, and fair. The one downside? I'm blunt and very stubborn until you present evidence to the contrary.