upgrade from an i5 to an i7

Jay98
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

The only things would be gaming and streaming maybe making a youtube video hear and there 

for streaming its a noteworthy upgrade, if you want to spend the cash on the processor.

that said, heres some numbers:

quad core:

f230fc3884.png

quad core, hyperthread:

4c1c71bccd.png

what are you doing with your pc?

are there any highly multithreaded applications?

(i'm working on a comparison between 4c and 4c/ht with 7zip benchmark, i'll drop it in in a sec)

The only things would be gaming and streaming maybe making a youtube video hear and there 

Intel i7 4790k    EVGA z97 FTW    PNY 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3    EVGA 1070 FTW    2Tb Seagate Barracuda HDD    Intel 530 Series 180GB SSD    EVGA Supernova G2 850w   AeroCool XPredator X3 (Devil Red)    Philips Brilliance LCD 24" 144Hz    Windows 10 PRO    Noctua NF-A14 PWM "Special LTT Edition"

he cant upgrade his gpu if he wasted his money on a cpu on your recommendation.

i mean if he doesnt upgrade to a i7 he could always upgrade his GTX 750ti to a GTX 960 or 970 for better performance in games

a i7 4790k is worth it because it has 4 extra threads for multitasking and video rendering  

E5OSNZH.jpg

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

for streaming its a noteworthy upgrade, if you want to spend the cash on the processor.

that said, heres some numbers:

quad core:

f230fc3884.png

quad core, hyperthread:

4c1c71bccd.png

Im thinking of getting one too for sketchup lighting rendering.70usd topup from 4690k to 4790k. :)
saving the gpu upgrade for later..

a i7 4790k is worth it because it has 4 extra threads for multitasking and video rendering  

So? The total performance increase is 25% max in any task. "Worth it" means that you're gaining enough performance to justify the upgrade price, that in this case is 320ish$, almost twice the price of the i5. It's only worth it if you use the extra performance all the time. A 4690k is also faster than the 4460, would you say it's worth upgrading to just because it's a little faster? The question here is not "is the i7 faster", the question is "does it make sense to ditch my current cpu for one". Saying "yes" without even knowing what he'll use it for doesn't make sense.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

if you stream very often then yes, it's a worthy upgrade. If it's only once in a while you can probably make do with the i5. It's all about how often you do these things, taking a few extra minutes for something that you do once a week is more tolerable than if you do it multiple times per day.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

if you stream very often then yes, it's a worthy upgrade. If it's only once in a while you can probably make do with the i5. It's all about how often you do these things, taking a few extra minutes for something that you do once a week is more tolerable than if you do it multiple times per day.

but for streaming it doesn't change a thing,

I was streaming on i5-2500 at 5000kbps h264 without a hickup while gaming

for rendering it might

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I currently have an i5 4440 (3.1ghz) and want to get an i7 4790k is it worth it?

EDIT: I will be gaming and streaming

God no, take that $330 and buy a better GPU than a 750 Ti.

but for streaming it doesn't change a thing,

I was streaming on i5-2500 at 5000kbps h264 without a hickup while gaming

for rendering it might

A good bitrate for 1080p60fps is closer to 12k. It also depends on what game you're playing.

Not that the 2500 is a bad cpu, on the contrary.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

A good bitrate for 1080p60fps is closer to 12k. It also depends on what game you're playing.

Not that the 2500 is a bad cpu, on the contrary.

don't you need twitch partnership for 60fps?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

don't you need twitch partnership for 60fps?

I don't know, I'm just saying for a pro streamer it does make sense. Even 30fps are better at 8-9k anyway.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I always say yes for i7 because of hyperthreading but i say leave the 4790k and go for 5820k slightly overclock to 4.0 or 4.2 Ghz and your good as gold

Motherboard: Asus Z97-Deluxe, Processor: Intel i7-4790K@4.3GHz@1.150Volts, GPU: Asus ROG GTX980 Matrix (with a NZXT G10 bracket and a nzxt x41 AIO liquid cooler), Ram: Kingston HyperX 32GB 1866MHz CL10, PSU: Corsair Hx1200i, Storage: 1TB Seagate SSHD with a Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB SSD, Display: BenQ XL2411Z, Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB, Mouse: Razer Deathadder chroma.  

pc part picker list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/hu0210/saved/#view=qHK6XL

I always say yes for i7 because of hyperthreading but i say leave the 4790k and go for 5820k slightly overclock to 4.0 or 4.2 Ghz and your good as gold

but the socket for the 5820k is 2011 not 1150. so it wont fit right?

Intel i7 4790k    EVGA z97 FTW    PNY 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3    EVGA 1070 FTW    2Tb Seagate Barracuda HDD    Intel 530 Series 180GB SSD    EVGA Supernova G2 850w   AeroCool XPredator X3 (Devil Red)    Philips Brilliance LCD 24" 144Hz    Windows 10 PRO    Noctua NF-A14 PWM "Special LTT Edition"

You only have a GTX 750? Why is this still being discussed, get a new gpu please.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2