Comcast at it again, this time with popups.

So, did you want to save money not renting some crappy modem from Comcast? Well, Comcast has decided to go after you for that. How? Unblockable popups telling you that your modem isn't good enough, and that you should totally rent one of theirs for a ridiculous price.

There is something we have recommended a number of times here at BGR to anyone and everyone with home broadband service: buy your own cable modem. Cable companies make a killing by slapping customers with bogus equipment rental fees that continue forever, long after you’ve covered the value of your cable modem. Then, if you fail to return the modem when you cancel your service, you’re hit with a charge for hundreds more.

It’s ridiculous, and it can easily be avoided by purchasing your own cable modem. A quick one-time purchase of a box like the $70 ARRIS (Motorola) SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0, Amazon’s best-selling cable modem, can end up saving users hundreds of dollars in fees over time. For Comcast customers in certain areas, however, using your own modem might not be worth the money you’ll save because it looks like you’ll have to endure unescapable harassment as a result.

Comcast has long been injecting code into users’ web browsers to warn them of copyright infringement, and now the carrier is injecting a new kind of pop-up into browsers. Here’s a screenshot:

comcastinjectiongrab.png?w=624

Well, here’s the problem: these annoying pop-ups apparently persist until the user has upgraded his or her cable modem to the latest model Comcast offers, and there is no way to opt out. So, if you save money by using your own modem and you have no plans to go back to paying Comcast a monthly fee to use theirs, these pop-ups will become a regular occurrence that you cannot prevent.

Oh, and for good measure, Comcast will inject these pop-ups into mobile browsers as well, so you’ll see them on your smartphones and tablets, not just your PCs.

At this point, Comcast is just try-harding to be the worst company in America again. This kind of thing shouldn't even be legal. Seems like profiteering to me. They want you to pay them to get them to stop harassing you.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Concast

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

I got this message months ago, however I just blocked them and they haven't showed up since, but I do agree with the fuck comcast sentiment.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

You have to buy your own modem? Wot

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

If you don't, you rent theirs for eternity, even well after you've paid enough to cover the cost to them of providing you the modem. Then, if you don't return it (or if Comcast just feels like being an asshole and just claiming you didn't return it even though you did) they charge you a ridiculous amount of money for it.

Windstream is still worse.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Yeah this applies as much as it's full of profanity 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMcny_pixDw

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

No, but many people purchase their own to avoid "leasing" some POS from their ISP for $8-10 month.

couldn't you just block that piece with a adblocker?

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

If you don't, you rent theirs for eternity, even well after you've paid enough to cover the cost to them of providing you the modem. Then, if you don't return it (or if Comcast just feels like being an asshole and just claiming you didn't return it even though you did) they charge you a ridiculous amount of money for it.

:huh: Here if you sign a contract you get it for free and after 24 months ( or 12) you basically paid for it and ISP doesn't care, it's outdated anyway.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I thank good that ISP in my country are not as bad. they provide cable modems for free and the prices are lower than what us ISPs ask, and I don't think I have experienced more than 1 internet outage or even slowdown in the last 6 months, not to mention I have not seen landline internet service offerings with a bandwidth cap since the early 2000's

64k modem will work and they're putting this bull crap. Blatant extortion oh their clients money...

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

Oh btw does anyone here have the surfboard because I was interested in how it runs and if there are any installation steps that are not straight forward (for comcast)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

This is old. 

I thank good that ISP in my country are not as bad. they provide cable modems for free and the prices are lower than what us ISPs ask, and I don't think I have experienced more than 1 internet outage or even slowdown in the last 6 months, not to mention I have not seen landline internet service offerings with a bandwidth cap since the early 2000's

I get disconnected with DNS errors on a nightly basis. It increases the more I try to use my internet. Blatant throttling.

I've made multiple FCC complaints, but all the FCC seems to do is pass the complaint on to my ISP, who sends out a technician to check my equipment. He finds nothing wrong, tells me that Verizon is throttling the Century Link traffic across their network, and there's nothing Century Link can do about it.

Yay government bureaucracy.

Yeah this applies as much as it's full of profanity 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMcny_pixDw

That channel doesn't allow playing their videos outside of youtube and their own website. Smile at the truth of ISPs every time I watch that one though.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

That channel doesn't allow playing their videos outside of youtube and their own website. Smile at the truth of ISPs every time I watch that one though.

Ohh the greedy bastards...

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I get disconnected with DNS errors on a nightly basis. It increases the more I try to use my internet. Blatant throttling.

I've made multiple FCC complaints, but all the FCC seems to do is pass the complaint on to my ISP, who sends out a technician to check my equipment. He finds nothing wrong, tells me that Verizon is throttling the Century Link traffic across their network, and there's nothing Century Link can do about it.

Yay government bureaucracy.

Google DNS? 

You can use your own Modem of the modem/wifi combo crap box provided by Comcast. 

Comcast can suck a fart out of my ass.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

RCN, can you please spread to southeastern Massachusetts? Please?