Microsoft shows off just how much data it’s collecting from Windows 10 users

Section35

ALL OF THAT DATA IS ANONYMOUS

It's not like they can see the pictures that you view in the Photos app. They can just see how many people opened the app, it's analytics .

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

http://bgr.com/2016/01/05/microsoft-windows-10-spying-2015-user-data/

quite the interesting article,

I still don't trust Win 10.

Interesting but it is all demographics and analytic.

(but you may want to fix your post before the mods tell you to)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

So, what? They've admitted they're tracking on time, application run time, queries to a service that MS themselves host and analytics for their own website's usage. All of which is anonymous, most of which can be disabled through settings

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

For those convinced of it's conspiracy-level privacy intrusions, nothing will be enough in the way of evidence.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

• People have spent over 11 billion hours on Windows 10 in December alone.

Why... is total computer uptime a relevant number to anyone? lol

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

gamers spent over 4 billion hours playing PC games on Windows 10.

Wouldn't want to cater for gamers, ya know like letting us pause updates..

• gamers spent over 4 billion hours playing PC games on Windows 10.

I set a group policy that prevents it from downloading updates until I say so :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

• gamers spent over 4 billion hours playing PC games on Windows 10.

</p>

On win 10 pro I can delay updates

On win 10 pro I can delay updates

Not only can you delay updates, you can change a group policy that forces Windows 10 to ask permission before it downloads the update (which I did).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Not only can you delay updates, you can change a group policy that forces Windows 10 to ask permission before it downloads the update (which I did).

Or you can do the smart thing, and go into your router and block the Windows update servers all together.

Don't trust Windows to do what you told it to do. It's already been proven that it ignores your choices to some extent.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Or you can do the smart thing, and go into your router and block the Windows update servers all together.

Don't trust Windows to do what you told it to do. It's already been proven that it ignores your choices to some extent.

Yeah, Edge ignores the Hosts file.

Lets not hold this up and say "see you were wrong they arent spying on us". This is just what THEY are SAYING that was collected.

This is like asking the NSA what information they are collecting? Even if they give you an answer, would you honestly believe it?

...writes Brinkmann. “While it is unclear what data is exactly collected, it is clear that the company is collecting information about the use of individual applications and programs on Windows at the very least.”

I wish they would they would at least give an option to fully disable all of this if you would like, but then again i am being proven time and time again im a crazy person for liking to have full control of my own systems...

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Yeah, Edge ignores the Hosts file.

Indeed.

That kind of shit, is exactly why I refuse to downgrade to Windows 10. I'm not going to use a "product" that uses me as the product and I have to fight with to get it to work in a secure manner. Sooner or later, someone is going to crack Microsofts servers, and get a treasure trove of data and IP addresses, etc. Not to mention a MASSIVE distribution point for whatever malware they care to embed in the Windows Update system.

The entire thing is one giant vulnerability waiting to happen.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

if WV taught us anything is: don't trust what they say unless the show you the code

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Edge ignoring host file is a good thing. It builds security from malware and viruses having a party inside.

Yes, that is called telemetry data, Microsoft also knows how many displays people have, how many times you played a DVD movie (hence why DVD playback was removed from Windows 8, and Microsoft did a blog on it showing graph on how very few people used DVD movies in their PC, and allows cheaper pricing for Windows 8). Microsoft also knows what people have as computer specs, etc.

All data to help Microsoft know what to focus on. That is telemetry data.

Also, this post does not meet the posting guideline.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-read-before-posting-in-this-section/

Sorry it is out of the Tech News section until it is fixed

@Section35

PM me, if you need assistance, or have any questions.

IDC i pirate movies, i don't pirate games, i don't use TOR and i am not a Peado, so i have jack all to worry about.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

I'm going to stay off of Windows 10 as long as I can, because simply I don't believe that my data of any type should be making companies money. I'll admit the data collected in this instance is harmless, but it sets a precedent for others who may not be so - "concerned" - about my data's safety as well as for future updates. If I accept this, then how far will Microsoft push it in the next major windows? and the one after that? 

Plus, I have never, ever, had to worry about windows 7 compatibility and the interface isn't dumbed down for "average consumer" like in W8 and W10. 

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

I'm going to stay off of Windows 10 as long as I can, because simply I don't believe that my data of any type should be making companies money. I'll admit the data collected in this instance is harmless, but it sets a precedent for others who may not be so - "concerned" - about my data's safety as well as for future updates. If I accept this, then how far will Microsoft push it in the next major windows? and the one after that? 

Plus, I have never, ever, had to worry about windows 7 compatibility and the interface isn't dumbed down for "average consumer" like in W8 and W10. 

So long as you were aware that several months back they added the telemetry services to w7 and w8.1 in windows updates. There are several tools you can find online free to automatically wipe them if you want to, or articles that show you how to do it yourself. (As well as disabling the auto-download and upgrade of w10)

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

If anyone think that data should not be collected and are trying to avoid it completely, you have to not use any apps on your phone, or basically the internet itself.

Interesting stuff.

I might as well say that I believe that MS is gonna cave at some point and enable completely disabling the telemetry in a future update, even in Windows 10 Home and Pro. Not sure when, but we saw what happened with Windows 8, 8.1 and the Xbox One. The pressure is too much for them to keep up the charade at this point.

My mother’s profile picture on Facebook, ironically enough, has been this since 2012:

Yea, the difference is that Windows 10 is not free.

You’re gonna have to explain that one to me, lol. Granted I did pay for Windows 10 and didn’t get the “free upgrade,” such a general statement that “Windows 10 is not free” is provably false at some level or another.

- When you buy a computer, you pay the price of Windows 10 in it (well, OEM pricing)

- If you build a new computer, you purchase Windows 10 (Retail box or OEM System Builder license pricing, which ever you buy at the computer store that best fit your needs)

- In less than 6 month from now, Windows 10 upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users will no longer be free. You'll have to pay for the upgrade, like previous version of Windows, if you want to upgrade to. Only Windows 7 and 8.1 users have Windows 10 upgrade for free, currently.

The offer is to quickly boost market share, for 2 reasons:

1- Windows Store users. The Apple and Google app stores bring each several billions of dollar in profits. The more Windows 10 users you have, the more users you have on the Store, and the more developers will develop apps for it. So far, it seems to be working, as it passes from virtually nothing, to big player apps developing their app on Windows 10. You have Pandora, Netflix (complete with Cortana integration), NPR, Bank of America (coming soon), Facebook (in beta), Facebook messaging (coming soon), Wall Street Journal, Shazam, Disney is making many of its games on it, Readit, Cineplex theaters, Plex, and more. And Microsoft latest figures they released, shows that so far it is growing, and bringing revenue to app developers.

2- More apps, the more Windows 10 Mobile is a platform to consider. Windows 10 Mobile device might get some people to switch from Android and iOS, from providing a unique user experience, while Android and iOS currently stagnate in innovation, and the need to upgrade from people current phone to another, diminishes. Possibly the next 2 years is Microsoft last chance to go in the market. More sales of Windows 10 Mobile device, the more money the company makes in both App Store and OS.