Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
6 minutes ago, alittlepeace said:

have you tried some of the other clickbar switches?

Pinks have a heavier spring, but have a thinner clickbar so the tactility isn't as heavy

To be honest no, started with outemu blues, built a keyboard with jades, bought a few royals to potentially make a macropad, and that's it. 

I absolutely love the jades, but I can't imagine ever bringing it to work because of how loud they are. The royals are a decent alternative in the acoustics department, but the lacking sharp tactility is just leaves me wanting. I read Zealio v2s are more tactile than royals but they're also more rounded, which sounds opposite to what I want. 

Considering my next keyboard will have low profile switches, a switch would have to be as tactile as jades for me to consider it. Otherwise I'll just swap in linear choc switches.

2 minutes ago, Acorn Eye said:

To be honest no, started with outemu blues, built a keyboard with jades, bought a few royals to potentially make a macropad, and that's it. 

I absolutely love the jades, but I can't imagine ever bringing it to work because of how loud they are. The royals are a decent alternative in the acoustics department, but the lacking sharp tactility is just leaves me wanting. I read Zealio v2s are more tactile than royals but they're also more rounded, which sounds opposite to what I want. 

Considering my next keyboard will have low profile switches, a switch would have to be as tactile as jades for me to consider it. Otherwise I'll just swap in linear choc switches.

My two favorite tactiles right now are T1s and yok holy pandas. I don't like my zealios anymore, jades are ok to me but I prefer the spring swap with the pinks, just haven't populated a board

I also b een meaning to populate a board with the new panda tactile

8 minutes ago, alittlepeace said:

My two favorite tactiles right now are T1s and yok holy pandas. I don't like my zealios anymore, jades are ok to me but I prefer the spring swap with the pinks, just haven't populated a board

I also b een meaning to populate a board with the new panda tactile

honestly I should just go to a keyboard meetup, can't make an accurate judgement based off switch alone.

On 4/28/2019 at 12:42 PM, noxdeouroboros said:

No other preferences? Like macros, rgb, no rgb? Numpad is a must? I personally would recommend this one https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4332

Well dunnno if this still matters, I ended up with a k95... the keys are a bit loud when pushed back, has this metal boink noise to it. otherwise it's quite nice, just need to get used to the layout. Also keys are kinda way too easy to take off. Got the brown switches model.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.

btw I tried using those speed silvers in tf2

I ended up swapping back in the royals mid-game because the Silvers actually made me worse at the game

5 minutes ago, Nowak said:

btw I tried using those speed silvers in tf2

I ended up swapping back in the royals mid-game because the Silvers actually made me worse at the game

What class were you trying to play? Scout? Speed Silvers for Scouts. :P

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

1 minute ago, sowon said:

What class were you trying to play? Scout? Speed Silvers for Scouts. :P

Scout and Engineer

Experimenting. Trying to get Zeal feel with Cherry sound. But seems no amount mixing and matching can help. Change anything on on the Zealios and it either ruins the smoothness or the tactility. Usually both.

Shown:

Zealio with Cherry top - 2X Cherry Clear & bottom w Gateron top - Gat Ink red - Cherry red - Cherry red with Gat top

Zealio V2 65g    -   YOK Red Panda    -    Novelkeys Cream    -    Gat Ink red - Cherry red - Cherry red with Gat top

spacer.png

Got my nylon, custom 3D printed case in. It's a lot more solid and heavier than I was expecting (but was hoping it would be, hence going with it over PLA or ABS). A little under 2 lbs (900g), which makes it a little lighter than my aluminum Tofu (also 65%).

It will take me about 2-3 weeks before I can build with it, as I need to sand it, paint it, glue (epoxy) some mounts with threaded inserts for plate, and have the carbon fiber plate cut and shipped to me.

jVXuNRO.jpg

FJlQQXq.jpg

Also ordering a badge sticker for it. May tweak the design a bit, but essentially this:

1fZ1vRk.png

2 hours ago, ZivZulander said:

Got my nylon, custom 3D printed case in. It's a lot more solid and heavier than I was expecting (but was hoping it would be, hence going with it over PLA or ABS). A little under 2 lbs (900g), which makes it a little lighter than my aluminum Tofu (also 65%).

It will take me about 2-3 weeks before I can build with it, as I need to sand it, paint it, glue (epoxy) some mounts with threaded inserts for plate, and have the carbon fiber plate cut and shipped to me.

That looks like an awesome sleek case. Will it be a tray-mount case?

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

32 minutes ago, sowon said:

That looks like an awesome sleek case. Will it be a tray-mount case?

Yes, it seemed easier than doing a case mount, though I think I may do that next time (likely aluminum once I've played around with Fusion 360/CAD some more).

19 hours ago, ZivZulander said:

Also ordering a badge sticker for it. May tweak the design a bit, but essentially this:

Nice! It's both classy and modern.

0G1A8927-Edit.thumb.jpg.a857d92d93d142d35ecfc5e5305806eb.jpg

Went from 85G Zealio V2s to 65G. Topre definitely has me appreciating lighter tactile switches more. Still prefer heavier when it comes to clicky and linear.

24 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

0G1A8927-Edit.thumb.jpg.a857d92d93d142d35ecfc5e5305806eb.jpg

Went from 85G Zealio V2s to 65G. Topre definitely has me appreciating lighter tactile switches more. Still prefer heavier when it comes to clicky and linear.

Love those keykaps, Where did you get them?

Just now, xARACHN1D said:

Love those keykaps, Where did you get them?

I got them from KBDFans.

Got my box navies in the mail yesterday, just tried transplanting box jade springs into the navies and vice versa. 

I thought the spring wouldn't be enough to reset the click bar but it works just fine.

Compared to a stock jade its quieter and bassier (though higher pitched), and for some reason also feels lighter though very close.

Box jades with a box navy springs feel very similar to navies, except higher pitched and louder.

My Dasmodel keyboard S is my first mech keyboard since windows 98 era. Feels real good to use. Didn't go custom though...

18 hours ago, ZivZulander said:

Ooh, pretty. :) Where from?

diy, got the parts from different places :o 

2 hours ago, alittlepeace said:

diy, got the parts from different places :o 

I meant the cables. Unless you made the cables? I'm looking for some nice color options for next build. :)

35 minutes ago, ZivZulander said:

I meant the cables. Unless you made the cables? I'm looking for some nice color options for next build. :)

I meant the cables, you'll be looking for 550 Paracord, lots of places to get many different color options :) 

2 hours ago, sowon said:

Thought I'd share the most recent picture of my precious baby. Can't enough of the beautiful Japanese-inspired novelty keycaps.

IMG_2555.thumb.JPG.fe493a338aaa9ff10b70014676a0bc79.JPG

I can't wait for my okomochi switches to come in :3