Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

@Charger I may have finaly found out my q problem. If i press really hard it registers the q so it might just be the switch is loose and needs resoldering.

I will atempt that today or tomorow.

I seem to recall you opening it before do you have an photos of the bottom of the pcb?

I seem to recall you opening it before do you have an photos of the bottom of the pcb?

No, i just opened the num pad before. Was to scared to open the actuayl keyboard. But ill try opening it now. I think ill try right now.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

hmm apears fine

Not sure what the problem is

IMG_20150626_1524511271.jpg

Pointing to malefuntioning q 

167fe643-6ddc-46e3-b8b0-414640a8ab27.jpg

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

hmm apears fine

Not sure what the problem is

seems like bad switches still I would assume so now swap the switched with ones from the numpad, you don't really need 2 sets of arrow keys.

seems like bad switches still I would assume so now swap the switched with ones from the numpad, you don't really need 2 sets of arrow keys.

Right. Although the arrow keys on the jeyboard are in a terrible terrible config. But i never use arrow keys anyway. Ill take it from numpad.

OK that didnt work. I kinda got the arrow key off, but the switch exploded. I think ill just deal with my Q, dont want to break my keyboard more.

OK that didnt work. I kinda got the arrow key off, but the switch exploded. I think ill just deal with my Q, dont want to break my keyboard more.

God damn it lol. What did you do? If I lived by you I would do it for you.

God damn it lol. What did you do? If I lived by you I would do it for you.

No idea.

I de soldered it, and it was still glued down, so i used a screwdriver to pry it off. I think what i did was i pried the top of the switch off.

No idea.

I de soldered it, and it was still glued down, so i used a screwdriver to pry it off. I think what i did was i pried the top of the switch off.

do you have photos?

do you have photos?

I can take some.

Another problem is i guess i didnt de solder one of the conections enough and a post came off the switch

do you have photos?

IMG_20150626_1613390051.jpgIMG_20150626_1614593381.jpgIMG_20150626_161357158_HDR1.jpg

@spwath what do the top and bottom of the pcb look like and how did you desolder the switch / what did you use to desolder the switch

IMG_20150626_1620322681.jpgIMG_20150626_1620375931.jpgIMG_20150626_1620449561.jpg

And i just kinda melted the solder with my cheapish soldering iron.

And i just kinda melted the solder with my cheapish soldering iron.

it doesn't really look like you desoldered it really and it doesn't seem like it was glued down it was just still soldered in place.

I would recommend something like cheap desolding pump

I use one like this that I paid $5-7 for

qy7hvDo.jpg

you just use a soldering iron the heat the solder joint up a but and then use the to suck the solder away will it is still hot.

if you are just using a soldering iron you are going to have to work slowly heating up one the pins and slowly walking the switch off the pcb and you would need to do the same to put one back in since it will still be full of solder

it doesn't really look like you desoldered it really and it doesn't seem like it was glued down it was just still soldered in place.

I would recommend something like cheap desolding pump

I use one like this that I paid $5-7 for

qy7hvDo.jpg

you just use a soldering iron the heat the solder joint up a but and then use the to suck the solder away will it is still hot.

That would probably help.

For now I'll deal with it and put the keyboard back together

Potato pic of my first profile. I need to learn how this thing works - it appears more complicated than FM synthesis (which is nuts btw - so many equations and so many possiblities)

The alphanumeric keys are more violet and the modifiers, caps and tab etc. are a richer blue than what my phone captured.

post-67799-0-39544100-1435352756_thumb.j

-SNIP-

How do you like the K70 RGB? 

Currently roaming the forums in boredom

I like mice and keyboards and the sort

Formerly TheFlurryGames

@Charger well my q works now. Not sure why but it does. I didnt even do anything to my keyboad, just opened and reasembled. Whatever, its fixed mostly. Works about 95% of the time now.

@Charger well my q works now. Not sure why but it does. I didnt even do anything to my keyboad, just opened and reasembled. Whatever, its fixed mostly. Works about 95% of the time now.

my just be dirt in the switch that was stopping it and since you flipped it over it moved

my just be dirt in the switch that was stopping it and since you flipped it over it moved

Yeah.

Also weird, the keyboard has a useless metal peice on the back. On the back of the central part, it is just metal for no aparent reason.

Yeah.

Also weird, the keyboard has a useless metal peice on the back. On the back of the central part, it is just metal for no aparent reason.

probably just for weight

How do you like the K70 RGB? 

K95 RGB ;) It's really good. The best thing I can say about it is there's ridiculous potential for crazy lighting stuff if programming all the things is your jam and typing on decent switches is literally the best feeling. Having only had proper experience with blacks and reds I can say browns fantastic - I'd like blues but I think they'd be too loud, considering I still bottom these out and that is probably enough noise at the speed I type). Also I only dropped 10wpm when switching from my K520 to this.

It's a solid keyboard and honestly worth it if you can get a good deal. I got mine shipped from the US for £120 (compared to UK prices where a K70 non-RGB is £110 and a K95 RGB is £160-180), with customs import of £34 and it's one of the best purchasing decisions I've ever made.

If only I had a TK or 60% to use at school.....

K95 RGB ;) It's really good. The best thing I can say about it is there's ridiculous potential for crazy lighting stuff if programming all the things is your jam and typing on decent switches is literally the best feeling. Having only had proper experience with blacks and reds I can say browns fantastic - I'd like blues but I think they'd be too loud, considering I still bottom these out and that is probably enough noise at the speed I type). Also I only dropped 10wpm when switching from my K520 to this.

It's a solid keyboard and honestly worth it if you can get a good deal. I got mine shipped from the US for £120 (compared to UK prices where a K70 non-RGB is £110 and a K95 RGB is £160-180), with customs import of £34 and it's one of the best purchasing decisions I've ever made.

If only I had a TK or 60% to use at school.....

Oops...

Thanks for telling me, I'm thinking about getting a K70 RGB :)

Currently roaming the forums in boredom

I like mice and keyboards and the sort

Formerly TheFlurryGames

18601435014_9f35f8a339_b.jpg

LZ SQ by Hanshen, on Flickr

18603342643_9f909531f2_b.jpg

LZ SQ - 1 by Hanshen, on Flickr

19223899935_0582354959_b.jpg

LZ SQ - 2 by Hanshen, on Flickr

18603337773_59cffabc40_b.jpg

LZ SQ - 3 by Hanshen, on Flickr

Freshly assembled, with Gateron Blues and gold springs

Still having trouble with the keymapping software though :(

Nope.  If the switches were PCB mounted then you could, but since they are not you will have to de-solder any switches you want to change out.

I saw one of your keyboards and one pretty interesting. u have a filco ninja with clear switches and then a custom plate that enables you to change out the switches without soldering. may i ask how u managed that? and will changing it to a custom plate like yours have a strong advantage over original plates? is it expensive. i just had my second hand filco here and i am loving it. but i will probably change it out to new switches.