Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

I saw one of your keyboards and one pretty interesting. u have a filco ninja with clear switches and then a custom plate that enables you to change out the switches without soldering. may i ask how u managed that? and will changing it to a custom plate like yours have a strong advantage over original plates? is it expensive. i just had my second hand filco here and i am loving it. but i will probably change it out to new switches.

I got the SS plate that allows switch top removal from a group buy on GeekHack (I think they were around $35 - $40).

The only advantage it gives you is being able to swap out springs/stems without having to de-solder.

Not sure when someone will do another group buy again. Just keep a eye out on GH to see when another one starts.

You will probably get some more interest around here if you make a post with that link rather then just the link. There are a few people here that are into making keyboards but not as many as geekhack or deskthorty. I myself just got my order from bigbluesaw today and they seem decent but I did have a problem with how they shipped it since the plates I ordered were ripping through the box by the time it was delivered.

I wish you luck with your group buy

Here is what I ordered from them.

YUbFrBSh.jpg

You will probably get some more interest around here if you make a post with that link rather then just the link. There are a few people here that are into making keyboards but not as many as geekhack or deskthorty. I myself just got my order from bigbluesaw today and they seem decent but I did have a problem with how they shipped it since the plates I ordered were ripping through the box by the time it was delivered.

I wish you luck with your group buy

Here is what I ordered from them.

YUbFrBSh.jpg

Yeah, I also posted it on reddit, but since geekhack was down I just figured i would post it here. Just fishing for extra people. the more the merrier! I might not be using big blue saw if i can get a local place to match the orders...

Yeah, I also posted it on reddit, but since geekhack was down I just figured i would post it here. Just fishing for extra people. the more the merrier! I might not be using big blue saw if i can get a local place to match the orders...

I was to lazy to hunt for quotes and since I didn't even have to talk to anyone to order these and they worked with swill when he was working on his builder I decided to go with them and I think it worked out well. I just kind of tossed things in to drop the price on other parts I wanted to have cut, I only really needed to order the 60% plate and the numpad plate for what I'm doing.

Ya its annoying that geekhack is down, I still keep clicking my bookmark before going to deskthority to make up for my lose of keyboard building discussions. Hopefully they get back up and running soon.

I was to lazy to hunt for quotes and since I didn't even have to talk to anyone to order these and they worked with swill when he was working on his builder I decided to go with them and I think it worked out well. I just kind of tossed things in to drop the price on other parts I wanted to have cut, I only really needed to order the 60% plate and the numpad plate for what I'm doing.

Ya its annoying that geekhack is down, I still keep clicking my bookmark before going to deskthority to make up for my lose of keyboard building discussions. Hopefully they get back up and running soon.

Yeah... Screw you DataMancer!

fTK3v8h.png

why don't they point their domain at that its like they don't want people to know about these things (I have accumulated that much info off deskthority and a twitter account I could find)

I guess they did but chrome autos it to https not http so it wouldn't show up for me

why don't they point their domain at that its like they don't want people to know about these things (I have accumulated that much info off deskthority and a twitter account I could find)

I guess they did but chrome autos it to https not http so it wouldn't show up for me

Yeah, I don't know.  It is a bit confusing.

you would think I would have ordered the 4 keycaps I was going to need for this since my parts keyboard was a mono price mechanical keyboard and has a non standard bottom row but some how it never crossed my mind I was going to need a 6.25u space bar and 3 1.25u caps from the left side of the bottom row

an image of something that I'm working on

Abi4eZz.jpg

you would think I would have ordered the 4 keycaps I was going to need for this since my parts keyboard was a mono price mechanical keyboard and has a non standard bottom row but some how it never crossed my mind I was going to need a 6.25u space bar and 3 1.25u caps from the left side of the bottom row

an image of something that I'm working on

Abi4eZz.jpg

Ooooo. that looks nice! I bet it is tiny though! What PCB you using?

Ooooo. that looks nice! I bet it is tiny though! What PCB you using?

no pcb just a arduino pro micro and hand wired matrix. It really isnt as small as it could be because I wanted to finally own a keyboard I could buy a keycap set for.

NOOOO NOOOOO NOOOOOOO
Its dieing.

Im afraid il need a new keyboad.

now my q, r, and l all malefunction.

Good bye Apple Adjustable Keyboarrrd. Good bye.

What comes next I dont know.

Nothing i have seen can compare.

The Matias ergo pro looks enticing, but 200$.

Either way, i need something new :(

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

NOOOO NOOOOO NOOOOOOO

Its dieing.

Im afraid il need a new keyboad.

now my q, r, and l all malefunction.

Good bye Apple Adjustable Keyboarrrd. Good bye.

What comes next I dont know.

Nothing i have seen can compare.

The Matias ergo pro looks enticing, but 200$.

Either way, i need something new :(

ergodox

ergodox

right, thats like 200$ too.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

ergodox

Hey I've got one, two, maybe even three kits of those. :D

yep

Just dont know if i want to spend that much

How much does making a keyboard cost?

(although with my skills of fixing my curent keyboard, not sure i can do it)

Probably min $100 and thats bare essentials idk think idk what @Charger thinks though.

My keyboard, a Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL with Cherry MX Blue switches and red LED backlight. I got it for my birthday, so it's still pretty new (and I love it).

It's kind of hard to tell because of my camera (and it looks much better in person) but it's a vibrant red backlight and a pinkish-purple RGB color on the spacebar.

post-2597-0-80468300-1436016523.jpg

post-2597-0-76526600-1436016590.jpg

Also a custom sleeve I sewed together (first time sewing) since I use this keyboard at work and take it to LAN parties. I made the sleeve using nikkistl's guide on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2n72fb/padded_keyboard_sleeve_howto_and_giveaway_more/

post-2597-0-48155500-1436016640.jpg

Let me know what you think!

It really depends on how you go about it and what you are capable of doing.

Probably min $100 and thats bare essentials idk think idk what @Charger thinks though.

I think he could make something like an apple m0110 for about $100. I think his best bet would be getting a keyboard and modding it rather then trying to buy all the parts if he is looking for cheap

apple m0110 mod

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=20898.0

I think he could make something like an apple m0110 for about $100. I think his best bet would be getting a keyboard and modding it rather then trying to buy all the parts if he is looking for cheap

apple m0110 mod

hmm i do love that keyboard.

Ill see what i can find on ebay and craigslist

apple m0110 mod

I could also get a num pad for it like this one, and mod that too.

I might start out with just the num pad, for practice

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-APPLE-IIE-NUMERIC-KEYPAD-A2M2003-/121650180012?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c52ea6fac

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Apple-Numeric-Keypad-Key-pad-A2M2003-/171414333054?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e917267e

Didn't know there was this club. Count me in!

I'm using a K65 with reds and O-ring dampers. Its an entry-level keyboard but I'm pretty satisfied with it. The O-rings do a really good job of damping the clacks from bottoming out.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3