Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

kinda a newbie to this mechanical keyboard deal. But id like to ask, is a Filco majestouch Al second hand for a price of 71 dollars worth it? the guy claims the keyboard was purchased in Q3 of 2013 

kinda a newbie to this mechanical keyboard deal. But id like to ask, is a Filco majestouch Al second hand for a price of 71 dollars worth it? the guy claims the keyboard was purchased in Q3 of 2013 

Yeah, that's a good price. Especially if it's in good condition.

Most used Filco MJ1/MJ2's I see are usually sold for around $100 (give or take).

Does anyone have experience with a Roccat Ryos MK? Thinking about that one, but the Steelseries 6Gv2 caught my eye for being the cheapest of mechanical keyboards in my country. If anyone knows, can you reccomend me sites that have cheap international shpping? (I live in Latvia, so there's not much choice, plus I'm 15, so my budget is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery tight :( )

I owned one. What kind of questions do you have?

Whites are the best ! :D I don't get why manufacturers don't go ahead and put them in more keyboards

Same reason clears aren't and reds weren't.

Got this in the mail the other day so I guess it means I'm building a 60% keyboard and suck at taking photos

Qizokun.jpg

the build is still a bit away since I'm still waiting for parts and needing to order parts

At least you're not using a potato?

I owned one. What kind of questions do you have?

Same reason clears aren't and reds weren't.

What are general ergonomics of the keyboard? Plus, how do the MX blacks feel?

Have you tried replacing at least some of the keycaps and how does it look/feel?

parts for my custom mech with gateron blues came! waiting for stabs and a geekhacker to finish the custom plate CAD! 

post-220281-0-82459400-1435004188.jpg

post-220281-0-81800200-1435004195.jpg

post-220281-0-40696400-1435004200.jpg

post-220281-0-83876400-1435004205.jpg

post-220281-0-66729500-1435004210.jpg

post-220281-0-84237100-1435004214.jpg

parts for my custom mech with gateron blues came! waiting for stabs and a geekhacker to finish the custom plate CAD!

such small imaged :(

who is working on the file for you jdcarpe? Or are you talking about having someone cut the plate?

such small imaged :(

who is working on the file for you jdcarpe? Or are you talking about having someone cut the plate?

Im sorry, testing out the LG G4 camera. Apparently it doesnt transfer well. Ill use an actual camera for the build. Joey Quinn is working on the file :D. He is a little late, but i dont mind. Incredible favor. If he doesnt come through i thought i saw an ANSI 105 plate anyways...

Yeah, that's a good price. Especially if it's in good condition.

Most used Filco MJ1/MJ2's I see are usually sold for around $100 (give or take).

thanks for the advice, i just bought my ninja. mesmerizing every second of it. the only thing that was missing was the keypuller from the guy. but i don't think that I'm gonna do any pulling right now  

thanks for the advice, i just bought my ninja. mesmerizing every second of it. the only thing that was missing was the keypuller from the guy. but i don't think that I'm gonna do any pulling right now  

I still love my Filcos. To me they still have the best looking stock case available. 

I don't know if you are located in the USA, but here is a wire keycap puller http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=949

I have never owned a keycap puller... maybe i should make one lol

how do you take keycaps off then?

just pull?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

magic... also know as my fingers lol

I mean that works. Its just difficult. I dont understand how you get a middle key off. I no longer have a keycap puller, and its really difficult to get keycaps off

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I mean that works. Its just difficult. I dont understand how you get a middle key off. I no longer have a keycap puller, and its really difficult to get keycaps off

start from the outside and work you way in or just push down the keys around it and grab the cap.

start from the outside and work you way in or just push down the keys around it and grab the cap.

It just seems like they are pretty hard to pull off.

Probably depends on switch type too, weather it be cherry or others

It just seems like they are pretty hard to pull off.

Probably depends on switch type too, weather it be cherry or others

not only that but the caps themselves as I can pull some of with out a problem and others I have a hard time with.

I still love my Filcos. To me they still have the best looking stock case available. 

I don't know if you are located in the USA, but here is a wire keycap puller http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=949

I wanna ask one more thing commoncurt, are all filco keyboards PCB mounted? are filco majestouch ninjas PCB mounted? like my ninja for instance is second hand and because of that I'm planning to change the cherry mx blues on it, just the letters, i kinda hope they are and kinda hoping they aren't. i love the whole PCB mounting thing (superior quality wise i think) but i live in indonesia and i don't think that they sell individual cherry mx here and if they do pcb cherrys will probably become a seldom stock.

I wanna ask one more thing commoncurt, are all filco keyboards PCB mounted? are filco majestouch ninjas PCB mounted? like my ninja for instance is second hand and because of that I'm planning to change the cherry mx blues on it, just the letters, i kinda hope they are and kinda hoping they aren't. i love the whole PCB mounting thing (superior quality wise i think) but i live in indonesia and i don't think that they sell individual cherry mx here and if they do pcb cherrys will probably become a seldom stock.

Filco keyboards use plates.  You will have to de-solder any of the switches you want to change out.

Filco keyboards use plates.  You will have to de-solder any of the switches you want to change out.

can i take off the top of the switch so that i don't have to solder anything? cause i heard that u could do that

can i take off the top of the switch so that i don't have to solder anything? cause i heard that u could do that

nope you will have to desolder the switches

Nope.  If the switches were PCB mounted then you could, but since they are not you will have to de-solder any switches you want to change out.

Finally! It arrived :D K95 RGB with MX Brows from Massdrop. Unfortuately It's ANSI layout rather than UK ISO, but I just need to configure the $ symbol to be replaced with a pound sign and then I get the benefits of a long shift. Enter doesn't really matter either way - but I do tend to reach toward the top part of the tall enter so it may be a bit of a learning curve.

Browns feel really nice though and I'm enjoying the feedback that comes from a mech switch. Will post pics when I get a nice profile going (oh CUE, how much fun you'll be)

Edit: got 99 and then 110 wpm on it first two goes, but doing a test my old membrane straight after that yielded 115, which is 1 off my pb with that board. I'm normally around 100 on the Logitech, but I guess it was somehow easier after being delicate on a mech switch. It does really feel horrible now compared to the browns, though. Not really mushy, but more spongy and less responsive.

Finally! It arrived :D K95 RGB with MX Brows from Massdrop. Unfortuately It's ANSI layout rather than UK ISO, but I just need to configure the $ symbol to be replaced with a pound sign and then I get the benefits of a long shift. Enter doesn't really matter either way - but I do tend to reach toward the top part of the tall enter so it may be a bit of a learning curve.

Browns feel really nice though and I'm enjoying the feedback that comes from a mech switch. Will post pics when I get a nice profile going (oh CUE, how much fun you'll be)

Edit: got 99 and then 110 wpm on it first two goes, but doing a test my old membrane straight after that yielded 115, which is 1 off my pb with that board. I'm normally around 100 on the Logitech, but I guess it was somehow easier after being delicate on a mech switch. It does really feel horrible now compared to the browns, though. Not really mushy, but more spongy and less responsive.

I only get about 50 WPM...

But thats just my fault.

Nice RGB keyboard.

Yeah the feedback is nice, I reallly hate regular keyboards now.

Though my keyboard has its problems. Like with l and q

@Charger I may have finaly found out my q problem. If i press really hard it registers the q so it might just be the switch is loose and needs resoldering.

I will atempt that today or tomorow.