7 Gamers, 1 CPU - Ultimate Virtualized Gaming Build Log

LinusTech

r9 Nano's with G-Sync monitors ohhh linus..

Doesent matter. These are the only 21:9 1440p monitors that are IPS and above 60Hz.

Im just going to leave this here 

taken at 4:28 PM pst 1/3/16

f639b0197d4730ac339db90904cedaa4.png

Umm Linus you could have gotten the Super Flower 2000W PSU. EVGA PSUs are rebranded Super Flower ones.

http://www.super-flower.com.tw/products_detail.php?class=2&sn=16&ID=119〈=en

i thought it was only running of 220V and not the 120V from North America so he would need to get a generator for it or something

Amazing! BTW, what's that keyboard you're using near the end of the video? It looks fu**ing nice!

That would be the Datamancer "The Aviator" Keyboard. Want it? USD $1,000 since they're hand-made and produced at low-volumes.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Dayum almost a million views on youtube alone under 24 hours, at this rate this might indeed go viral and perhaps even make back as much as the system costed your sponsors.

-------

Current Rig

-------

thanks for spamming the thread with pictures of "your" computer!

sorry

Over 1 million views! Damn this is truly a viral video.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Over 1 million views! Damn this is truly a viral video.

I've noticed the 2 gamers,1cpu video has gotten over 10k+ views today also

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Holy hell, in the video you mentioned that there are a myriad of issues when you built this system, do you by chance kept a diary/log of all the issues and such? I would be interested in the ultimate behind the scenes of building this monster.

I actually am working up a blog post for the Lime Technology website as a "behind the scenes" going over the issues we faced.  The number of issues were rather small, but there was one that we had to live with.  It didn't impact system stability when all the VMs were running, but it was annoying enough that I wouldn't necessarily recommend this build for someone to purchase with those GPUs.  With a different set of GPUs, this would have been perfect, but then we'd have to sacrifice how many we could possibly fit in the rig.  Its such a shame because the R9 Nano is a perfect use case for this in a water-cooled setup, if only it reset correctly when its attached to a VM that gets shut down.

I doubt it's the hypervisor doing that over a service (dhcpd, something else?) doing so...

unRAID allows you to choose a host-managed bridge (we call this a public bridge) or an internal NAT'd bridge.  The first bridge gives each VM an IP off the router, but VM to VM and VM to host traffic communicates through the bridge, never needing to actually hit the router.  For example, I could have a VM LAN party with a stock setup that utilizes NAT'd bridge.  There is no need to manually manage all that.  We do not yet support VLAN tagging for those who are wondering, but for most home-user setups, it's not necessary.

So, where's the part with the 1 CPU? Lol.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

You keep making me want to build an unraid system!

Just use a normal Linux Distro, like Open Suse or Ubuntu. 

Unraid.

Go check out their "2 Gamers 1 CPU" video for more details.

KVM* 

Ever dreamed of what you could do with a $30,000 computer? Turns out the answer is "a lot"

Vessel link: tbd

YouTube: 

Parts List

Kingston 32GB DDR4 ECC RAM (x8)

Amazon: http://geni.us/3N2B

Kingston KC400 1TB Business SSD (x8)

Amazon: http://geni.us/3c6w

Lime Technology unRAID Server Pro Software

Manufacturer Link: http://lime-technology.com/

Caselabs Mercury S8

Amazon: n/a

Manufacturer Direct: http://bit.ly/1P8UvW3

Acer Predator X34 21:9 Gaming Monitor (x7)

Amazon: http://geni.us/32xr

Intel Xeon E5 2697 V3 (x2)

Amazon: http://geni.us/1nya

ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS

Amazon: http://geni.us/wov

AMD R9 Nano (x7)

Amazon: http://geni.us/Ubr

EVGA T2 1600W

Amazon: http://geni.us/3ad1

Cablemod Custom Cables for PSU

Manufacturer Link: http://bit.ly/1NYnrCz

Water Cooling Parts

CPU blocks - EK Supremacy Evo

Radiators - EK Coolstream XE 360

GPU Blocks - EK R9 Nano

GPU Connector - Custom 7-way version of FC Terminal

Pump/Reservoir - EK Xres 140

Fittings - EK Advanced Compression Fittings

Tubing - Primochill Primoflex Black/Orange

7 gamers 2 CPU

Looking for a job

Just use a normal Linux Distro, like Open Suse or Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is what I'm using, how does that give me the features you see here?

Ubuntu is what I'm using, how does that give me the features you see here?

The primary feature we see here is GPU assignment with KVM and VFIO, which is accessible on any Linux distribution.  unRAID simplifies some things with their interface and carries some patches that you might otherwise need to apply yourself, but there's nothing exclusive to unRAID to make this work.  See http://vfio.blogspot.com/ for some guides and articles.

Bro! That is just sweet!  I personally would love to see a Channel Super Fun video of Linus Media Group employees having a tournament match with that PC.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

wow i really want to get a crazy unraid build done soon

Aselwyn1

Hmm, kinda looks like this could have been done with better performance, power, and support of the graphics card vendor with Quadro M4000.  The stock cooler would even work...

Hmm, kinda looks like this could have been done with better performance, power, and support of the graphics card vendor with Quadro M4000.  The stock cooler would even work...

Dude the M4000 is a workstation GPU. Even though it can theoretically game, it doesn't in practice as well as its gaming equivalent. So Linus handed off the gaming performance to the R9 Nano for sure.

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Dude the M4000 is a workstation GPU. Even though it can theoretically game, it doesn't in practice as well as its gaming equivalent. So Linus handed off the gaming performance to the R9 Nano for sure.

3DMark is down for me right now, but when it comes back compare the M4000 to the R9 Nano, I checked before posting and found reports of 16xxx for the M4000 vs 14xxx for the R9 Nano in Firestrike for non-SLI/Crossfire configs.  Quadro cards are not clocked as high as GeForce, but it's pretty much the same hardware, dude.