What about Water Cooling M.2s?

Go to solution Solved by OddsCrazyStuff,

As far as I can tell, so is the only time you will get heat issues on an m.2 or a pci ssd, is when you transfer a lot of data to it or from it (I think 100GB+ is required).

So unless you need to do that often, so will normal case cooling do the trick.

Its possible you might get the same heat issue, if you run it for long period of times as well, like with a video editing session, but no data on that is available.

I know Linus Media Group has a history of wacky Water Cooling ideas, maybe this could be a future bit on the channel. 
Check out this video comparing the Samsung 950 Pro and 951. You can see the thermal throttling at work on the 950.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3GlInzvHr8

NHCLW3P.png

A more practical idea would be just glueing a heatsink on, but why not watercool it? If it throttles it sounds plausible to me

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

61561297.jpg

Best Bench Runs & 24/7 Rig

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

i5 4670k (XTU) - 4.7GHz Core / 4.5GHz Cache | GTX 980 (FireStrike Extreme) 1620MHz Core / 4000MHz Memory (GPUPI) 1721MHz | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB - 2200MHz CL10-11-11-24 1T

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

i5 4670k 4.5GHz (Swiftech H320) | MSI Z87 MPower Max | ASUS GTX 980 1580MHz 4000MHz (NZXT Kraken X41) | 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | 120GB Kingston SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda

There's no place to actually hook it up, and if smasung believes there's no need for it to run cooler

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

I know Linus Media Group has a history of wacky Water Cooling ideas, maybe this could be a future bit on the channel. 

Check out this video comparing the Samsung 950 Pro and 951. You can see the thermal throttling at work on the 950.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3GlInzvHr8

so, its not that simple, when watercooling an interneal peice of hardware it needs to have mounting holes for a block to be attached, and m.2 drives dont, which means you need a custom pcb, which is basically a brand new m.2 drive in it self,also, water cooling storage drives is pointless.

Its a Championship not a Belt!

water cooling storage drives is pointless.

i think you dont understand the main point of watercooling

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

lel

My 950 PRO doesn't throttle because it uses the motherboard tray/PSU shroud as a heat dissipater. Thanks, BitFenix.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Just a wacky idea guys. 

A more practical idea would be just glueing a heatsink on, but why not watercool it? If it throttles it sounds plausible to me

Good point, this route is a lot more attainable. 

so, its not that simple, when watercooling an interneal peice of hardware it needs to have mounting holes for a block to be attached, and m.2 drives dont, which means you need a custom pcb, which is basically a brand new m.2 drive in it self,also, water cooling storage drives is pointless.

Maybe, maybe not. But just like PCI Express extensions -- these do exist for M.2.

hodwIwN.png

pcper did a thermal test with direct airflow vs no air flow and found no degraded

performance output on read/write. thoughts were that if you were file transferring

24/7 at full bus speed, the thermals do get quite hot with no airflow, but again, no

degradation of performance. in a consumer environment, there is no concerns of

thermal issues (won't be hammering the drive). in a commercial workload could

see the temperatures, but the system builder should provide adequate ventilation

for a non-issue state (using consumer drives in enterprise is not a good practice).

Also the ambient temperatur isnt revealed in any of the documents on their site, acording to their thermal readings the device before the test starts is at 64 Celcius, which is about 147 Farenheight, leading me to think these tests arent reputable.

i think you dont understand the main point of watercooling

to get better performance and lower temps, by adding more blocks to the look and thus more tubing, it adds more friction and heat, you cant overclock a storage device, so you get no more performance, and by adding more material to the loop you make it so the temperature of the loop, is higher.

Just a wacky idea guys.
Maybe, maybe not. But just like PCI Express extensions -- these do exist for M.2.

how do you attach a water block to a cpu socket or a gpu, with mounting holes, i have yet to see a m.2 drive with mounting holes on it.

Also the ambient temperatur isnt revealed in any of the documents on their site, acording to their thermal readings the  device before the test starts is at 64 Celcius, which is about 147 Farenheight, leading me to think these tests arent reputable.

...If you look closely at the video, the reader does not move, and a computer is already on.

Was looking at this page earlier.

https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-fc-i750-ssd

Waterblock for Intel 750 series SSD PCIe.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

...If you look closely at the video, the reader does not move, and a computer is already on.

yes the computer is on, and if its on, they should have had it idling, which a computer shouldn't be idling at 64C

to get better performance and lower temps, by adding more blocks to the look and thus more tubing, it adds more friction and heat, you cant overclock a storage device, so you get no more performance, and by adding more material to the loop you make it so the temperature of the loop, is higher.

no

the point of watercooling is to build something unique and different from others that also looks good/cool

its a hobby

people looking to get more performance use phase change or LN2 which is far better than watercooling

the amount of performance increase per dollar you dump into a watercooling loop is insignificant

anyone building a watercooling loop for "more performance" is completely wasting their money

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just give it a few more months. EK will release something because they want to be impractical.

Just a wacky idea guys. 

wait your telling me I can use the m.2 on the back of the asrock z97e-Itx/ac...

SNIP

I think you're basing this hugely on opinion.

Everybody does it for different reasons.

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

i5 4670k (XTU) - 4.7GHz Core / 4.5GHz Cache | GTX 980 (FireStrike Extreme) 1620MHz Core / 4000MHz Memory (GPUPI) 1721MHz | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB - 2200MHz CL10-11-11-24 1T

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

i5 4670k 4.5GHz (Swiftech H320) | MSI Z87 MPower Max | ASUS GTX 980 1580MHz 4000MHz (NZXT Kraken X41) | 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | 120GB Kingston SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda

OK. They either want their system to look nicer or they think it'll make their system perform much better.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Or just attach the waterblock through the screw at the end as well as thermal pads? The adhesive should be enough

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Its currently not actively cooled at all so simply attaching a small heatsink on it will reduce the temperature markedly. Although a lot of sites have said the performance drops and blamed thermal throttling I suspect based on pcper's testing that actually the drive either maintains some known free and fast blocks to write to or else its writing to RAM on board and its not actually as quick on sustained transfers regardless of its temperature.

Or just attach the waterblock through the screw at the end as well as thermal pads? The adhesive should be enough

I think so. To clarify, we're not looking at longevity here -- just a test or proof of concept. m.right?

no, its not an opinion, its a fact

the performance you get per dollar by custom watercooling is far below that of upgrading the computer hardware itself

AiOs are a bit different since you can get those for very cheap, but a custom loop is about aesthetics and cool factor

not about the extra 200MHz overclock you can get to give you 3 more fps

its about having something special in your PC thats different from most people, like customizing a car or furnishing your house

Spoiler

not about the extra 200MHz overclock you can get to give you 3 more fps

Except enthusiastic overclockers or extreme overclocks, an extra 10-20c drop can mean a world of difference.

For example, Maxwell benefits from being under a certain temperature and thus will overclock much higher meaning higher 24/7 clocks and higher clocks for benches resulting in superior HWBOT submissions.

You can't think from just a "this is everyones opinion and this is fact"

There are plenty of gains from watercooling to be had.

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks