GLNext (Vulkan) API specs are complete, undergoing final review and polishing

zMeul

source: https://www.khronos.org/vulkan

post-96912-0-45805700-1450577215.png

We have some good news and some bad news. The year-end target release date for Vulkan will not be met. However, we are in the home stretch and the release of Vulkan 1.0 is imminent!

Here is a more detailed update...

The Vulkan specification is complete and undergoing legal review and final polishing. The Vulkan conformance tests are being finalized and multiple member companies are preparing drivers for release. Implementation feedback is the vital final stage of making any Khronos specification ready for primetime, and the Vulkan 1.0 specification will be published when the first conformant implementations are confirmed.

Work is also progressing to complete Vulkan SDKs for Windows, Android and Linux. Google has upgraded to Promoter membership and is now on the Khronos Board to help steer Vulkan strategy for Android and the wider industry.

There is considerable energy driving the work to bring you Vulkan. We are planning Vulkan sessions and demos at key industry events throughout the year. We are excited about the emerging Vulkan ecosystem that will create new business opportunities for the graphics and compute industry.

Vulkan will set the foundation for graphics and compute APIs for years to come and so Khronos is taking the time needed to do this right – and the Vulkan 1.0 release is near!

---

Yippee ki-yay, motherfucker!

I'm so happy we get to see Vulkan in action very very soon - hopefully before the new lines of GPUs from AMD and nVidia launch

can't stress this enough, but I truly hope Vulkan will get the Linux API performance on par to that of Windows one and finally, comparable to DX12

Hell, it's about time.

Been waiting a loooong time for this. I hope it get some decent adoption early, and then expands.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Maybe Source 2 can finally hurry up and be a thing now.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Hell, it's about time.

Been waiting a loooong time for this. I hope it get some decent adoption early, and then expands.

It's Khronos. You have Intel, AMD, and Nvidia fighting over a standard API for all 3 of them. Now on top of that add Samsung, Apple, Imagination Technologies... Well, this list... 

post-85535-0-71931000-1450569663.png

Basically put this many egos together arguing over a unified graphics API. It was never going to happen quickly. Why do you think OpenGL was such a cobbled mess?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Now if only devs would use it more than DX12. That's my christmas wish. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Now if only devs would use it more than DX12. That's my christmas wish. 

It will all depend on which way Nvidia leans. With so much market share, it can decide that battle before it's even truly begun.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It will all depend on which way Nvidia leans. With so much market share, it can decide that battle before it's even truly begun.

$5 they lean towards DX12.

$5 says they will lean towards Vulcan if they cannot beat AMD at DX12 :P

Nah, not happening.

Hot damn!

Can't wait for Vulkan! :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

They'll lean to the market dominant API... Which we all know to be DirectX. You know, it being bundled with Windows n all that jazz and Windows being the most popular OS out there.

Microsoft will always have the monopoly when it comes to PC's

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Awwwww yisssss

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

They'll lean to the market dominant API... Which we all know to be DirectX. You know, it being bundled with Windows n all that jazz and Windows being the most popular OS out there.

Microsoft will always have the monopoly when it comes to PC's

This makes no sense. Vulkan works on Windows 7 and 8. Dx 12 is Windows 10 only. Did you actually think Vulkan was only for Linux?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

This makes no sense. Vulkan works on Windows 7 and 8. Dx 12 is Windows 10 only. Did you actually think Vulkan was only for Linux?

Windows 10 market share is already really huge. The only thing that needs to happen is for some big ticket DX12 games to come out before Microsoft stops offering the free upgrade and Windows 10 and DX12 will dominate. For those of you with the tin foil fedoras on about Windows 10 spying just download SpyBot antibeacon, it takes less than 3 minutes.

What are the chances of next generation of consoles using Vulkan or something very similar?

Pretty high since 2 of the three won't be Windows-OS-based.

Pretty high since 2 of the three won't be Windows-OS-based.

So unrelated, but it feels so good to see your posts Patrick.  

$5 says that although AMD will beat them, the vast majority will still choose nvidia for unknown reasons.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

isnt part of vulkan code from amd mantle so very unlikely

I must see Pascal and Arctic Islands.  I'm dying for them.  I want to see who wins over who in raw performance and API's.  Ugh, this is exciting.  Soon.

I must see Pascal and Arctic Islands.  I'm dying for them.  I want to see who wins over who in raw performance and API's.  Ugh, this is exciting.  Soon.

For 64-bit compute, Arctic Islands wins. In single precision, Pascal wins. It is 1/3 ratio just like Kepler. And before you ask me to confirm this, be aware sampling for Pascal for enterprise clients began more than a month ago. Miami had engineering samples of both vendors' flagships to test for candidacy in the next Redhawk Cluster. We also have a dedicated Knight's Landing node on its way.

As for gaming, it's up in the air. For mixed precision I don't know who wins, but I do know AMD wins by nearly 20% in double precision compute, and Pascal wins by about the same in single precision. Pascal's double precision has already been rated as 4 TFlops in previous leaks. I leave it to you to extrapolate the rest.

For 64-bit compute, Arctic Islands wins. In single precision, Pascal wins. It is 1/3 ratio just like Kepler. And before you ask me to confirm this, be aware sampling for Pascal for enterprise clients began more than a month ago. Miami had engineering samples of both vendors' flagships to test for candidacy in the next Redhawk Cluster. We also have a dedicated Knight's Landing node on its way.

As for gaming, it's up in the air. For mixed precision I don't know who wins, but I do know AMD wins by nearly 20% in double precision compute, and Pascal wins by about the same in single precision. Pascal's double precision has already been rated as 4 TFlops in previous leaks. I leave it to you to extrapolate the rest.

This definitely helps.  Thank you, Patrick. 

they spent some pretty penny on their shield lineup though, porting half life and stuff

one very big player joined the "board of promoters", Google - and google is the biggest deal in Linux because of it's Android market share

MS is quite alone in the Windows department

Intel, Google (Android, Chrome OS), nVidia (SHIELD), Apple (iOS, MacOS), Sony (FreeBSD), plus the rest - have some big ties to nix development platform

if MS wants cross apps with Android, they would have to support Vulkan on their Windows 10 Mobile