All data lost

TheCenturion

Recently i sent my pc to a shop, i needed to have my OS moved to a new SSD, i specifically said i want ALL of my shit to be there when i come back, just got it back yesterday...

IT DOESNT EVEN HAVE CHROME! EVERYTHING IS GONE, LITERALLY MY ENTIRE LIFE! 

we are going back in a few hours to talk to them... if they dont fix this shit, we are sueing them... they literally said "Ya nothings gonna be gone"

FML

That sucks man.. But status update? I hope for you that it is recoverable someway.

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

Ouch... Be very careful, if you need to you might be able to recover the data with special software. DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING TO THE DRIVE, DO NOT USE THE DRIVE, DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO ANYTHING WITH IT! PUT THE RECOVERY SOFTWARE ON ANOTHER DRIVE!!!!

Got it? Good.

Thy hath sinneth, and in thy life thou hast fallen to an unholy, unspeakable level of humanity. Thou hast given into your basest needs. And suffered many years under thine Satan-box. However, if thine be willing, as thy hast show yourself to be, thy can ascendeth into thy glorious fold of the glorious church. Go well, my brother, may your temps be low and your frames high. ~ MrDynamicMan

Just ask them if they still have the HDD. They probably do.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Woah you're gonna sue them?

What did you have on there that you can't get back?

The only thing you listed is chrome...which you can easily get, log into, and have your old settings....

Shipping sucks

snip

And this is why you should be fucking responsible for backing up your own data.  I don't feel anything but contempt for your own lack of responsibility and not having the foresight to have backup copies of your files.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Ouch... Be very careful, if you need to you might be able to recover the data with special software. DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING TO THE DRIVE, DO NOT USE THE DRIVE, DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO ANYTHING WITH IT! PUT THE RECOVERY SOFTWARE ON ANOTHER DRIVE!!!!

Got it? Good.

We're not talking about a failing drive or deleted data here. OP sent a pc to a shop for a new SSD and they did a clean install instead of copying his data over from the old drive. The technique you mention will not help because his data was never on the ssd to begin with.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

yeah, you're never supposed to just hand over all your data like that to an untrusted person...especially without any backups

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

We're not talking about a failing drive or deleted data here. OP sent a pc to a shop for a new SSD and they did a clean install instead of copying his data over from the old drive. The technique you mention will not help because his data was never on the ssd to begin with.

I see. Still, if they happened to do something to the drive the data is on (assuming they even still have it), what I said might still work.

Thy hath sinneth, and in thy life thou hast fallen to an unholy, unspeakable level of humanity. Thou hast given into your basest needs. And suffered many years under thine Satan-box. However, if thine be willing, as thy hast show yourself to be, thy can ascendeth into thy glorious fold of the glorious church. Go well, my brother, may your temps be low and your frames high. ~ MrDynamicMan

Yea have fun with the sueing part.....

But ya that sucks but that is why you always keep backups especially if the stuff was that important.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Why didn't you do it yourself for free?

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 3.4ghz CPU COOLER: Cryorig H7 w/ Red Corsair SP120mm  MOBO: MSI SLI Krait Edition Z170 MEMORY: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4) Storage: Kingston V300 120gb, WD 1TB GPU: MSI R9 390X CASE: Phantom 410 (ew) PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 550w CASE FANS: 4 CORSAIR SP120mm MONITOR: LG 25UM67 KEYBOARD: Das4 Ultimate Cherry MX Blue MOUSE: Deathadder Chroma Left-Handed AUDIO: Sennheiser HD598 Black, Astro A40s

You mean you didn't back up your data?

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I guess the lesson to be had here is

1) backup, ALWAYS

2) do these things yourself

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Personally if I ran a pc shop. I would get people to sign a waiver saying that (yourself) or the company will backup your hard rive For a minimum couple days. If you lose people's stuff they should be liable. For example, If I send my car to the dealer and It comes back with stock rims and no stereo. Then the dealer would be in trouble. This is 2015 not 2000. If someone wipes your data they should be responsible for it.

Also alot of people have laptops and travel alot. They don't backup their data everyday. Maybe they done have time either.

Do you still have the old HDD? Was it formatted? If you haven't overwritten it with a bunch of data already, you can run a data/partition recovery software on on it to get back "most" things.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Personally if I ran a pc shop. I would get people to sign a waiver saying that (yourself) or the company will backup your hard rive For a minimum couple days. If you lose people's stuff they should be liable. For example, If I send my car to the dealer and It comes back with stock rims and no stereo. Then the dealer would be in trouble. This is 2015 not 2000. If someone wipes your data they should be responsible for it.

Also alot of people have laptops and travel alot. They don't backup their data everyday. Maybe they done have time either.

The shop I work at does it the other way around. You sign a waiver stating the shop isn't responsible for the data. You either have to backup the data yourself or pay to have a backup made.

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Specs:
Screeninator: ASUS GTX970 STRIX
Powermathingy: Corsair AX760
Stickaminator: Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz Blue
Procrastinator: Intel i5 3570K (stock)
Holdametalicizor: Corsair Obsidian 750D
Noisoundacreator: Sennheiser HD 558
Attatchamajiggy: MSI Z77A-G45 (SUCKS)
Remembrerthing: 750GB Samsung 840 EVO (3x250GB)
Flat-Colorful-Thing: Iiyama craptron 2000
See-A-Move-O: Corsair M45
ButtonBoard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Browns)

No no no, your hard drive, your data, your responsibility. Also the car dealership analogy is terrible.

and we will live such tragedy in perpetuity.

No no no, your hard drive, your data, your responsibility. Also the car dealership analogy is terrible.

this ... plus like @sandboarder08 said, this is 2015, who doesn't do ANY backup and leave their "entire life" (to quote OP) on one drive only???

with all the cloud services giving 15GB+ for free I personally have all my stuff on the cloud, 2 offline hard drives (one "off site") plus a few copies of important things on 3 different PCs ... if I lost anything important I guess that would be due to a nuclear disaster! lol

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Just out of interest, why were they moving your OS to a "new SSD"?

Was it previously on a HDD or an SSD? Did they give you back the old drive? If not do they still have it?

Edit: To weigh in on the shop responsibility debate, I don't know if the shop should be held responsible in this case (not enough info).

I work for a small PC service company and we are always careful with peoples data. I think to take someones (perfectly functional) drive then not return their data to them is unacceptable from a service standpoint (but probably not breaking the law in most cases).

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

RiP.
But no really you should've made a backup- but I do feel for you because they did not follow instructions. Good luck on it and keep us updated. 

[spoiler=Current Rig] N/A