Drone owners must register with FAA (USA)

AresKrieger

The Federal Aviation Administration said Monday that US residents must register hobbyist drones by February 19 at itsdrone registration website. Registration opens December 21 and is free through January 20, the agency said. After that, the FAA will charge $5 for registration.

Well that came quicker than I thought

"Failure to register an aircraft can result in civil penalties up to $27,500," the rule states. "Criminal penalties for failure to register can include fines of up to $250,000."

When registering, drone owners must provide a name, physical address and email address. Drone owners then must mark their drones with a registration number or register its serial number with the FAA.

I hope the $250,000 fines are for doing stupid things like flying one at the air port but it isn't very clear how these fines will be dished out in the case of non compliance, my thoughts are mixed on the one hand you have idiots flying drones blocking fire fighting air craft but on the other a half pound drone could be something akin to an RC helicopter so idk what to think.

http://www.cnet.com/news/faa-to-open-drone-registration-on-december-21/

Edited by AresKrieger

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I think it's ridiculous that the government should be so bothered as to regulate them. 

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I think it's ridiculous that the government should be so bothered as to regulate them. 

Yeah, I feel that too, but at the same time you have idiots flying them in restricted air space, so I get it but am not a fan.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

are you kidding me?!  ^_^

people flee from accidents and they expect them to voluntarily register their drones!??!

Im sorta on the middle ground with this. Having to register a drone is complete garbage but im all for laws and huge fines for doing something completely stupid with them or any rc craft/drone for that matter. Having to register my drone just to fly around in my field is messed up imo.

wonder if it will be a 1 time fee or a type of subscription service type deal. either way its a cash grab 

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

Sure, cause people flying around them around airports, aircraft, emergencies and in other stupid places is fine?

This was always going to happen, people will be idiots and do things they're not supposed to do with them, they need a way of determining who is doing stupid things so they can stop them doing said stupid things.

And they also said it'd be live before Christmas when they announced they were looking into it back in September.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

And they also said it'd be live before Christmas when they announced they were looking into it back in September.

Yep they announced plans a while ago put didn't have a law implemented, now they do as of today.

Seems OK to me, the fee is only $5 and this helps in a few different instances. Obviously to see who fucked up, like others have mentioned, but also to identify lost or stolen drones, like a bike ID. The application process also seems fairly painless.

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

Be happy they didn't just ban them, if you fly a drone in public you should have to have insurance, a licence and registration of the drone you are flying....see it from a public safety point of view rather than the big bad government is taking away my freedom point of view. 

They are not, they are trying to protect the public from morons who are too stupid to realise they are in control of a potentially dangerous piece of machinery.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

It's always the idiots that ruin it for the normal people. Any sane person wouldn't even think of flying over airports/highways/forest fires/etc. But some do, so Mr. Government has to take steps to regulate this.

Ye ole' train

Not really sure how you can be against this other than the $5 fee (when it's no longer free to register)... Even then, is $5 really that bad when you consider that it could help you get your drone back if it was stolen or lost?

Maybe I'm missing something? It just seems like everyone is overreacting to me. What's there to be against that I'm not seeing?

Not really sure how you can be against this other than the $5 fee (when it's no longer free to register)... Even then, is $5 really that bad when you consider that it could help you get your drone back if it was stolen or lost?

Maybe I'm missing something? It just seems like everyone is overreacting to me. What's there to be against that I'm not seeing?

27,500 - 250,000 dollar fine

yea I would love to fly my drone on top of area 51 and get footage. Trespass on private property with my drone and get into the White House with it.

What category of UAS is covered by

the registration requirement?

UAS that weigh under 55 pounds and above 250 grams

maximum takeoff weight, and are operated outdoors in the

NAS

So make it 56lbs??

27,500 - 250,000 dollar fine

Spend the $5 (or better yet register it during the free period) which can help you recover the drone if it's stolen/lost and you wont get hit with the fine... It's not as if you're spending $5 for nothing, it's actually something useful. Just seems like you're hating it for the sake of it...

If people are going to fly unregistered drones in idiotic places then I say hit them as hard as you can, especially if it's at a airport where you can potentially put hundreds, if not thousands of people at risk.

This kind of sucks my grandpa has about 100 RC planes, and under this law he would have to register all of them, if he wants to fly them. but he makes them his self so I fine serializing them to be problematic.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

So make it 56lbs??

I think that falls under another law, but am not 100% sure

Spend the $5 (or better yet register it during the free period) which can help you recover the drone if it's stolen/lost and you wont get hit with the fine... It's not as if you're spending $5 for nothing, it's actually something useful. Just seems like you're hating it for the sake of it...

If people are going to fly unregistered drones in idiotic places then I say hit them as hard as you can, especially if it's at a airport where you can potentially put hundreds, if not thousands of people at risk.

I am mixed about the law, and understand why they are making it, but not everyone will be aware of said law, and some kids toys (not even what we now call drones) will fall under this law, so I think the fines should be far more reasonable unless they are doing something that would already be considered illegal (such as restricted air space)

how exactly is this law gonna' prevent people from using the drone(s) they just bought in a intentionally harmful way?! it's not - and there lays the problem

they should have mandatory registration at the place of purchase

Register with the FAA during the free period and be done with it. What's with all this complaining, it's not like they have permanently banned people from flying it. Now if your the responsible one, why worry about paying a fine. It's those who break the rules who has to worry about that as it's them who cause the government to force everyone to register they're drone in the first place.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

An issue here is that the FAA's classification of a UAS includes all RC aircraft, including home built ones. Many RC hobbyists are constantly building their own foam airplanes, flying them, crashing them, rebuilding a different one, etc. So now you are saying a $5 registration is required every time I put the same electronics into different shapes of foam (assuming it weights >250g)? Or does one registration cover one set of electronics (mainly the receiver). 

So make it 56lbs??

This is because an unmanned aircraft over 55lbs (or an aircraft operating outside the FAA's criteria for model aircraft operations) already requires specific FAA authorization to operate.