Is it worth upgrading from my i5 2500k to a FX8350?

Zyre

I'm having a chat with my best friend.

We where talking about GPU's and it eventually switched topic. I told him upgrading my 2500k wasn't worth it because the newest Intel CPU's don't come with huge gains yet.

He mentioned that a FX8350 would beat my 2500k Sandy Bridge, plus it being cheaper.

I tried looking up for some comparisons but sadly can't find what I want. Can you guys help me out?

You'll see improvement from your 2500k to an i5 4690, or even an i7 4790, no? I''m unsure why you'd go over to AM3 for an FX. I mean, there's even the 5820K.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

Not worth your money. Upgrade once Icelake comes round

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

That's a downgrade.

EDIT: Look, I've been down that road before, thinking more cores = more performance. Not necessarily, and especially not with AMD's current FX chips. If you are able to get your 2500k to at least 4.4Ghz (don't see why you can't because mine can do it without any voltage increase and remain stable) you will not have any major bottlenecks. If you were to get an 8350, you will, contrary to what your friend says, have worse performance.

Do what you want though. I'm just some random guy on the internet.

I see you guys mention "No" or "It's a downgrade". Can someone explain why it's a bad idea? My main purpose on the PC is gaming of-course.

Unless you needed all 8 cores for something like video editing, you're 2500k is more powerful than the 8350. The 2500k might have less cores, but those cores are much more powerful than the 8 AMD cores.

edit: I just saw your post update. Currently. most games don't use more than 4 cores, so the 8350 would definitely be less powerful.

Would I be better of getting one of those Corsair water coolers and overclocking my 2500k and maybe keep it till the day it finally dies? I've been using it since 2011.

that's a downgrade especially if for a gaming rig.

FX is lousy, inefficient, old and slow!

Would I be better of getting one of those Corsair water coolers and overclocking my 2500k and maybe keep it till the day it finally dies? I've been using it since 2011.

yes, since a worthy upgrade to the 2500K would be in the range of an i7-4790K/5820K/6700K...anything bellow that is not worth it.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Good idea. Go for  240MM AIO and push that.... guy! An FX is better replacing your oven than your CPU.

Just kidding...

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

that's a downgrade especially if for a gaming rig.

FX is lousy, inefficient, old and slow!

yes, since a worthy upgrade to the 2500K would be in the range of an i7-4790K/5820K/6700K...anything bellow that is not worth it.

Let's say I overclock my 2500k. Will it perform at the level like a 4770k? 

I'd say so. I

have my 2500k clocked at only 4.4GHz and I very rarely run into a game that pushes it. Since AMD hasn't put a lot of pressure on Intel, the processor market has been moving fairly slowly. Sandy bridge processors are still very good for gaming purposes.

Edit: What I would do is run some games with the task manager open on another screen to even see if your CPU is being a bottleneck.

no, but it will be more than enough to run any game on maximum settings and 60FPS+ assuming you have a powerful GPU to go along.

What GPU do you have? and what CPU cooler do you have on it ATM?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

With a mild overclock you should easily get your i5-2500k to perform at the level of locked Skylake or Haswell i5s, and with a bigger overclock you could surpass them. The i5-2500k is probably the greatest gaming CPU I have ever seen, five years later it's still very high end with a small overclock. And then you factor in that the i5-2500k is a legendary overclocker, I have seen tons of people get them to 5 GHz (not that all chips will be capable of that).

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

To a 4770k with stock clocks? In single threaded performance there is a decent possibility but if the 4770k is oc'd then nope it'll MAYBE come close to it in single threaded performance but never in a million years will it come close in multi-threaded situations

For gaming, it will match it, yes. It'll certainly come closer than a 8350 ever will.

I recommend either a good air cooler or at least a good 240mm AIO, preferably a good air cooler. I'm able to keep my 2500k (@4.4Ghz) below 70C with my D14 with only one fan on it, for example.

You haven't mentioned what kind of motherboard you have I think everyone is jumping the gun here because if you have something like a h61 motherboard then considering an OC is useless

I'm having a chat with my best friend.

We where talking about GPU's and it eventually switched topic. I told him upgrading my 2500k wasn't worth it because the newest Intel CPU's don't come with huge gains yet.

He mentioned that a FX8350 would beat my 2500k Sandy Bridge, plus it being cheaper.

I tried looking up for some comparisons but sadly can't find what I want. Can you guys help me out?

Just get a good cooler and OC it. Most motherboards will handle the extra voltage because well intel isn't a power hog for the most part.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Not to beat a dead horse, but the FX-8350 is at the same level as the 2500K.  I am an AMD fanboy.  I have an FX-6100 overclocked.  I enjoy it.  It's good enough.  But if you really want to go AMD, wait until Zen is out.  It still probably wont be better that the Intel stuff coming out but that's a fresh AMD upgrade path.  So do as said before.  Grab an AIO or a Hyper 212 and overclock it as hard as you can.  You'll be fine.  Hope my nonsense helped.

You haven't mentioned what kind of motherboard you have I think everyone is jumping the gun here because if you have something like a h61 motherboard then considering an OC is useless

My bad for not mentioning it! This is my motherboard trough https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67_REV_31/

My bad for not mentioning it! This is my motherboard trough https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67_REV_31/

Looking at the product page it doesn't look as if the board you have supports over clocking. You can confirm this by going into your bios and checking if it has a overclocking section. If not (and I base this entirely on the availability of overclocking boards that will accommodate your CPU in the country I live) you're gonna find it hard to find a z77 board(or frankly any board that supports LGA 1155 and can OC) unless you buy second hand which IMO isn't entirely recommended. Hopefully someone can prove me wrong. [emoji4]

Looking at the product page it doesn't look as if the board you have supports over clocking. You can confirm this by going into your bios and checking if it has a overclocking section. If not (and I base this entirely on the availability of overclocking boards that will accommodate your CPU in the country I live) you're gonna find it hard to find a z77 board(or frankly any board that supports LGA 1155 and can OC) unless you buy second hand which IMO isn't entirely recommended. Hopefully someone can prove me wrong. [emoji4]

I ones checked the BIOS! It had overclocking sliders like voltage, multiplier and all the bells :)

I ones checked the BIOS! It had overclocking sliders like voltage, multiplier and all the bells :)

Then you're all set to go

Then you're all set to go

Will I be able to overclock the CPU a lot then? Sometime I check motherboard reviews and they mention these motherboard chips that allow better overclocking. Does that really matter? The maximum I would try is 4,8 Ghz.