Low image quality on newer GPUs

Demiqas

I have a brand new R9 390, I'm downloading Unigine Heaven right now to see if I have the same problem. Gonna upload a youtube video later

Boy are you going to be pissed LOL. Wait until you see the disco ball effect on the brass.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I have a brand new R9 390, I'm downloading Unigine Heaven right now to see if I have the same problem. Gonna upload a youtube video later

No need for a video, I too have the flickering of the ground tiles. 

Maybe tomorrow when I have time i'll still make a video, just in case someone wants to do some more research on that.

Adding my small bit to this: I've used or still use a 9800, 295, 580, 680, 780, 780ti, and shortly will be switching to a 980TI Kingpin in my main rig. I've noticed no quality degradation of any sort along the path, other than the small (1-2%) performance lost over time through the hardware simply getting older and needing to be downclocked to maintain stability. I've had the same HP 2310m since the stone age and the other parts make functionally no difference in how things are displayed so....I'm thinking this is being exaggerated if a problem exists at all.

Edit: Games I usually play are as listed....

Mass Effect 1/2/3, Battlefield 2/3/4, Crysis 1/2/3, Elder Scrolls Online, Skyrim, SOMA, Watch Dogs, Rocksmith 2014, DayZ, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Amnesia: Dark Descent, Analogue: A Hate Story, Homefront, Just Cause 1/2. Metro 2033/Last Light, Outlast, Witcher 2/3

I'm from the nvidia forum that demiqas mentions and want to clear something up. This issue is undoubtedly real and is undoubtedly present on AMD hardware also.  I don't know why demiqas is saying it's NVidia-specific because he should know that it's not. It is real because all games, new or old, that FOR SURE did not have the problem before, now do. I am 34 yrs old and have been playing videogames since NES was new and would not waste my time making things up. I have built 3 completely new computers trying to rid myself of this problem, using both AMD and Nvidia cards.

I'm from the nvidia forum that demiqas mentions and want to clear something up. This issue is undoubtedly real and is undoubtedly present on AMD hardware also.  I don't know why demiqas is saying it's NVidia-specific because he should know that it's not. It is real because all games, new or old, that FOR SURE did not have the problem before, now do. I am 34 yrs old and have been playing videogames since NES was new and would not waste my time making things up. I have built 3 completely new computers trying to rid myself of this problem, using both AMD and Nvidia cards.

Well, good luck with your problem I guess.

Thanks, Rune. Your sarcastic support helps a lot.

You have to have expected as much. Complexity will always effect quality. As my Vater always said. "You get to pick two. Price, performance, reliability "

"You get to pick two. Price, performance, reliability "

Sounds about right

So wait, if we apply that to this forum... the advise we give is free, so that's already "chosen"... that means we can either be fast, or reliable... not both? :)

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Thanks, Rune. Your sarcastic support helps a lot.

I just mentioned that I've never seen the problem and can't formulate a way to help. I actually wasn't being sarcastic but if that is what you want, then I take back my comment and hope you have no luck!

Sounds about right

So wait, if we apply that to this forum... the advise we give is free, so that's already "chosen"... that means we can either be fast, or reliable... not both? :)

LOL, I'd have to say the advice get to the person asking really quick LOL

Thought you were being sarcastic cause that's what I usually get when trying to explain this problem.  That's partly what makes it so frustrating.  I don't blame people who have not experienced it for not believing a word of it because it's so damn weird.  It makes no sense and as far as I'm concerned nobody has come close to even finding the cause, much less a solution.  I'm not convinced that the root of the problem even has to do with the gpu itself.

LOL, I'd have to say the advice get to the person asking really quick LOL

We are pretty fast... :lol:

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Thought you were being sarcastic cause that's what I usually get when trying to explain this problem. That's partly what makes it so frustrating. I don't blame people who have not experienced it for not believing a word of it because it's so damn weird. It makes no sense and as far as I'm concerned nobody has come close to even finding the cause, much less a solution. I'm not convinced that the root of the problem even has to do with the gpu itself.

It's your categorizing this as a problem that has a few of us confused, that's my suspicion anyway.

I think you may be suggesting, like many others have, that I am merely just now noticing normal imperfections in games that I did not previously notice, thus becoming hyper-sensitive to them and going out of my way to "see" them.  This is definitely not the case.  Like I said before, games that I have been playing for years, such as Skyrim, look completely different all of the sudden: EXCESSIVE texture and model pop in, BROKEN anti aliasing on all objects (regardless of changes made to Nvidia control panel or AMD Catalyst and even ini files), Shadow pop in, etc.  The "render bubble" around my character is literally about 5-10 feet, meaning objects are popping in and texture resolution is changing VERY close to my character. This is happening on ALL games, regardless of how new or old they are.  The temporal aliasing on Metal Gear Phantom Pain is so bad that the edges of every object look like moving barber poles or candy canes.

I think you may be suggesting, like many others have, that I am merely just now noticing normal imperfections in games that I did not previously notice, thus becoming hyper-sensitive to them and going out of my way to "see" them.  This is definitely not the case.  Like I said before, games that I have been playing for years, such as Skyrim, look completely different all of the sudden: EXCESSIVE texture and model pop in, BROKEN anti aliasing on all objects (regardless of changes made to Nvidia control panel or AMD Catalyst and even ini files), Shadow pop in, etc.  The "render bubble" around my character is literally about 5-10 feet, meaning objects are popping in and texture resolution is changing VERY close to my character. This is happening on ALL games, regardless of how new or old they are.  The temporal aliasing on Metal Gear Phantom Pain is so bad that the edges of every object look like moving barber poles or candy canes.

I have not taken the time to read through the entirety of 95 pages, but have you checked to see if Geforce Experience isn't tweaking/overriding your games' settings over time? It would spare the older cards because settings aren't adjusted.

Hello from Russia everyone. Early sorry for my bad English.

Came here from nvidia forum, cause it's only source that i found with usefull info about this problem. It affects AMD, as well as NVIDIA.

Saw this problem earlier, with my old PC. Recently i've bought new R9 390, before that i've upgrade ALL hardware in my rig, even case. It works fine 4 days till yesterday. Now it's back and it's annoying as hell!!! About only few people experiencing that - there are many people all over the world with the same problem, but most of replys are sarcastic or negative.Like the others, I have issues in all games, more or less - depends on the game, and 3d tests. Wrote all this to keep this thread hot, maybe together we'll find some solution, or at least source of this problem. Strange behavior of NVIDIA and AMD about that, keeps me thinking that they know about "THE PROBLEM", but didn't want to admit it for some reason...

Hello from Russia everyone. Early sorry for my bad English.

Came here from nvidia forum, cause it's only source that i found with usefull info about this problem. It affects AMD, as well as NVIDIA.

Saw this problem earlier, with my old PC. Recently i've bought new R9 390, before that i've upgrade ALL hardware in my rig, even case. It works fine 4 days till yesterday. Now it's back and it's annoying as hell!!! About only few people experiencing that - there are many people all over the world with the same problem, but most of replys are sarcastic or negative.Like the others, I have issues in all games, more or less - depends on the game, and 3d tests. Wrote all this to keep this thread hot, maybe together we'll find some solution, or at least source of this problem. Strange behavior of NVIDIA and AMD about that, keeps me thinking that they know about "THE PROBLEM", but didn't want to admit it for some reason...

I am currently working on reproducing this problem myself. I've tested Heaven. I see exactly what you guys see. I am also testing with multiple graphics cards and platforms (From AM3, to Z97, to Z170) to rule out any other internal conflicts. For all we know, it could be something microsoft did with DirectX. In the mean time, can any of you run Linux and test an OpenGL game? Maybe test Portal or CS:Go on Windows, then test it on Linux and see if it has the same problems? That would be super helpful for my tests. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I am currently working on reproducing this problem myself. I've tested Heaven. I see exactly what you guys see. I am also testing with multiple graphics cards and platforms (From AM3, to Z97, to Z170) to rule out any other internal conflicts. For all we know, it could be something microsoft did with DirectX. In the mean time, can any of you run Linux and test an OpenGL game? Maybe test Portal or CS:Go on Windows, then test it on Linux and see if it has the same problems? That would be super helpful for my tests. 

Can you give me a quick summary of the issue? I've not had the opportunity to read up on it

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Can you give me a quick summary of the issue? I've not had the opportunity to read up on it

Basically, there are textures flickering on shadows (Not just in Heaven) and shadows and textures popping in randomly. It seems to get progressively worse for people as time goes on (untested by myself, need more time to confirm). That's the gist of it anyways. 

I'm going to start running tests on MGS Phantom Pain, since I actually have it, and he has confirmed it suffers from it. I'll see if i can get it to happen on any of my cards. 

I also want the people suffering from these bugs to toy around with Shader Cache and see if it has any effect on this problem. I remember a year or two ago, when someone had a similar problem with texture bugs, that shader cache was broken due to HDD speed/space or something along those lines. I would do a test with it on and off just to see if it changes anything. 

Basically, there are textures flickering on shadows (Not just in Heaven) and shadows and textures popping in randomly. It seems to get progressively worse for people as time goes on (untested by myself, need more time to confirm). That's the gist of it anyways. 

I'm going to start running tests on MGS Phantom Pain, since I actually have it, and he has confirmed it suffers from it. I'll see if i can get it to happen on any of my cards. 

I also want the people suffering from these bugs to toy around with Shader Cache and see if it has any effect on this problem. I remember a year or two ago, when someone had a similar problem with texture bugs, that shader cache was broken due to HDD speed/space or something along those lines. I would do a test with it on and off just to see if it changes anything. 

I do have it in Heaven on BOTH my 860M and 280 - assumed it was normal. Don't have the ability to test the 280 in other games though - Shogun 2 has it

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I do have it in Heaven on BOTH my 860M and 280 - assumed it was normal. Don't have the ability to test the 280 in other games though - Shogun 2 has it

If the problem is vendor agnostic, it has to be something mutually used. I am going to assume its API based, or something to do with the OS. I'll have to do a clean install of windows 7 to test if its the latest WDDM or not. I'll also test different DX titles, and compare them to their OpenGL counterparts. Either way, we will figure something out.

If the problem is vendor agnostic, it has to be something mutually used. I am going to assume its API based, or something to do with the OS. I'll have to do a clean install of windows 7 to test if its the latest WDDM or not. I'll also test different DX titles, and compare them to their OpenGL counterparts. Either way, we will figure something out.

I use Win 8.1 on both - had no issues like this with my 6850 ot 5670 on both 7 and 8.1 though - seems TeraScale doesn't suffer from it?

Can't test with Linux right now, planing to test with clear Win 10 tonight. I will reply here about my resulsts.

Thanks for participation by the way)

The thing is, that it's far beyond normal flickering, popins and anti-aliasing imperfectness. Really cuts the eye, Its like AA just disapear.

I already have tried opengl games using linux. On my r9 290 it gave me more performance and slightly less aliasing, not much more than that. On my nvidia card everything got completely messed up. I guess linux doesn't like nvidia that much.