Low image quality on newer GPUs

Demiqas

Then this begs the question, how is it that both Nvidia and AMD end up having the exact same problem, and neither have fixed it themselves? If you do some digging, you will find people with AMD cards suffering the same fate. It just seems highly unlikely, unless they both had a reason for turning it off without telling people. Even then, one would think they would remove the option all together if it did nothing.

If you still don't believe me, they even mentioned it in the official patchnotes:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/347.25/347.25-win8-win7-winvista-desktop-release-notes.pdf

• Negative LOD Bias Clamp

Negative LOD bias clamp for DirectX applications is not supported on Fermi-based

GPUs and later.

It says DirectX only, but there's no sign of it working in OpenGL either.

Again, I simply can't see the reason for them to remove it. The modded driver with working LOD bias the one guy called "Gus" created worked perfectly fine.

If you still don't believe me, they even mentioned it in the official patchnotes:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/347.25/347.25-win8-win7-winvista-desktop-release-notes.pdf

• Negative LOD Bias Clamp

Negative LOD bias clamp for DirectX applications is not supported on Fermi-based

GPUs and later.

It says DirectX only, but there's no sign of it working in OpenGL either.

Again, I simply can't see the reason for them to remove it. The modded driver with working LOD bias the one guy called "Gus" created worked perfectly fine.

It's been saying this for years. Since 2011 if i recall, so why is it an issue all of a sudden? Also, couldn't you just force it with NVInspector? 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

It's been saying this for years. Since 2011 if i recall, so why is it an issue all of a sudden? Also, couldn't you just force it with NVInspector? 

Forcing a positive LOD bias through NVinspector does help a lot but it doesn't work with most games. There was no reason to pull out the lod bias option nevertheless.

It's an issue all of a sudden because I've just recently realised that LOD bias had a lot to do with it. I never really knew what it did before.

Forcing a positive LOD bias through NVinspector does help a lot but it doesn't work with most games. There was no reason to pull out the lod bias option nevertheless.

It's an issue all of a sudden because I've just recently realised that LOD bias had a lot to do with it. I never really knew what it did before.

Well, i guess its good news we found something to turn our attention to. Maybe now we can head over to the Nvidia forums with a new thread, and ask why it was removed in the first place?

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

So that LOD fix only works with old games? Is there anything I could do to make GTA Online look better?

Well, i guess its good news we found something to turn our attention to. Maybe now we can head over to the Nvidia forums with a new thread, and ask why it was removed in the first place?

You'd get a response from a clueless green using buzzwords followed by the thread getting locked.

So that LOD fix only works with old games? Is there anything I could do to make GTA Online look better?

I'm not sure about that, but sometimes you can tweak LOD bias (or mipmapping) values in some games' configuration files.

I'm not sure about that, but sometimes you can tweak LOD bias (or mipmapping) values in some games' configuration files.

I like how you're getting all worked up about a 2% difference. I couldn't tell the difference between your screenshots until I zoomed all the way in. Yes, there is a change in those pictures, yes the first one is prettier, is it a big fucking deal? Hell no. You're not going to notice it unless you're just sitting there staring at the screen for 5min.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

I like how you're getting all worked up about a 2% difference. I couldn't tell the difference between your screenshots until I zoomed all the way in. Yes, there is a change in those pictures, yes the first one is prettier, is it a big fucking deal? Hell no. You're not going to notice it unless you're just sitting there staring at the screen for 5min.

But once you see it you can't un see it. Once you know it's there it bugs the hell out of you.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

How much do you think you can get out of a screenshot? I even specifically stated in the OP that from a screenshot it looks mild, but once you're in motion the difference is night and day

I don't know if people simply don't read or have a negative amount of reading comprehension.

The shimmering is unbearable in that game without a really high level AA, at least for me.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

But once you see it you can't un see it. Once you know it's there it bugs the hell out of you.

Not even close to being that way for me. I go up to a door in a game, see its doorknob is flat, and 3min later I've already forgotten about it. I notice aliasing along an edge, I've already forgotten about it 5min later.

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

The shimmering is unbearable in that game without a really high level AA, at least for me.

Do you really play a game from 2005 enough to warrant being unable to play it and enjoy life without having to fix even the tiniest graphical problems?

Spoiler

How much do you think you can get out of a screenshot? I even specifically stated in the OP that from a screenshot it looks mild, but once you're in motion the difference is night and day

I don't know if people simply don't read or have a negative amount of reading comprehension.

You basically came in here, insisted Nvidia is going about some BS conspiracy that doesn't make sense, based on a problem encountered by less than 30 people.

Spoiler

He says to the guy who has sat here and taken his time to read every page and reply to this thread.

GG.

you must've read it with your fucking eyes closed

I'm not sure about shadow LOD bugs on consoles, but shimmering is obviously there. And you can't get rid of it once you have it. I've seen it in many games on PS4. It was most noticeable in MGSV. If you really want to see it, here's an example of Beyond Two Souls on PS4 with shimmering: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEfu7QfuUU0 (I'm too lazy now to go find another examples, but there's plenty)

I can confirm this issue too! I first started noticing it when i played GTA V, the shimmering is horrible!!! I have yet to find a game where this does not appear. I've almost stopped gaming because of this annoying bug. If you don't believe this issue is real, please take a look at the huge Nvidia thread Demiqas linked to. It has lots of great examples of this bug. I hope it gets fixed in the near future so I can finally start enjoying my games again...

you must've read it with your fucking eyes closed

Because my eyelids are see through. Whatever.

You still have no real proof of this issue.

Spoiler

Do you really play a game from 2005 enough to warrant being unable to play it and enjoy life without having to fix even the tiniest graphical problems?

2011* 

My card is capable to use high level AA in this game so it's not really a problem for me, i can't speak for Nvidia user since i don't own one. I did saw a few threads in their official forum regarding this issue for Nvidia users long time ago. Both ISI and Nvidia didn't respond so they just moved on, to Assetto Corsa.. lel

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I can say right now that this is all hogwash, my 580 which is a used card, is miles ahead of my Radeon 7770 in image quality.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

I can say right now that this is all hogwash, my 580 which is a used card, is miles ahead of my Radeon 7770 in image quality.

Would like to see graphic comparison for that claim. At the same game setting.

Would like to see graphic comparison for that claim. At the same game setting.

oF COURSE YOU WOULD, YOU OWN A 290X.

And why would that affect your graphic comparison?

And why would that affect your graphic comparison?

How does someone compare image quality of a dead GPU to a working one?

How does someone compare image quality of a dead GPU to a working one?

Oh, i thought you simply upgrade to a better GPU.  :P