AMD’s AM4 Motherboards Rumored To Launch March 2016

Mr_Troll

AMD’s Flagship AM4 Platform Rumored To Launch As Early As March 2016

A few days ago, we received some convincing information from our sources that x86 Zen based processors under the AMD FX series  branding will launch in Q4 2016. The information was not only exclusive to Zen FX processors but also detailed new APU lineups arriving in 2017 with graphics performance equivalent to next generation consoles. Now we know that AMD will not only have Zen based FX processors but also Zen based APUs for desktop/mobility market and high-performance Zen cores will also be integrated inside workstation, servers and a range of HPC focused products such as HPC APUs with multi-TFLOPs compute performance and have been in talks for quite a while.

We know that AMD is focused to deploy Zen cores inside CPUs first which include FX series and servers SKUs. The mobility based Zen parts along with APUs will ship later in 2017, while the desktop processors (CPUs) are going to arrive later this year (Q4 2016 is most likely). When AMD launches their FX processors in the market, along with the chips, AMD will have a completely new platform known as AM4 to support their next generation processors and accelerated processing units. The AM4 platform will replace AM3/AM3+ and will house the FX series family which is rumored to be codenamed “Summit Ridge”. The AM4 motherboards will be focused at powering high-performance desktop PCs with new I/O capabilities, DDR4 memory support and a broad range of updates over the aged AM3+ platform.

Aside from bringing their desktop platform on parity with Intel’s DT (Desktop) platforms, AMD also revealed that AM4 platform will be shared by both, the desktop CPUs and desktop APUs. From AMD’s own roadmap which was showcased back at Financial Analyst Day 2015, it was confirmed that AMD won’t only have a new CPU lineup based on their Zen core (FX Series codenamed Summit Ridge) but also the 7th generation A-Series APU lineup (codenamed Bristol Ridge) which will be using the existing Carrizo core architecture. Based on the x86 architecture, the new family will be available for both desktop and mobility platforms and while this won’t be the first AMD processor to feature DDR4 memory support (Merlin Falcon already did that), it will definitely be the first AMD consumer processor to do so.

The report from Eteknix mentions that AMD’s AM4 platform boards are completely redesigned since they are meant to run a longer life time and support for future AMD processors:

The new AMD Zen CPU will use a new socket and also incorporate the current DDR4 capabilities and as such completely new boards have to be designed. In a routine inquiry about this, the publication got a surprising response from the manufacturer. The response: “The internal timetable foresees a March 2016 launch”. That is a lot sooner than expected

Why do amd and Intel release new motherboars earlier than CPUs. Confused

Source: http://wccftech.com/amd-am4-motherboards-launch-q2-2016-for-bristol-ridge-apus/

http://www.eteknix.com/amd-zen-rumours-point-earlier-expected-release/

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

They release the motherboard chipsets and whatnot so that manufacturing companies like Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, and ASRock can already have a stockpile of motherboards ready to sell once the CPU itself releases.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Well, better than releasing the CPU before the board.

I mean, you can start building your system before you can get the chip. Not that I recommend you build your system like this, but still, you could do that.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

That's good I guess. Though new socket mobos come before CPUs so that's not surprising to me. Still good news knowing Zen won't be late.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

AMD’s Flagship AM4 Platform Rumored To Launch As Early As March 2016

Why do amd and Intel release new motherboars earlier than CPUs. Confused

Source: http://wccftech.com/amd-am4-motherboards-launch-q2-2016-for-bristol-ridge-apus/

http://www.eteknix.com/amd-zen-rumours-point-earlier-expected-release/

they "launch" them, so that motherboards are plenty in stock prior to product launch.

if there is one thing you need to start a build, its a mobo.... you can go without a CPU, or RAM, or GPU for a while whilst buying parts. but you cannot do any single part of a build short of installing the PSU, optical drive and slap the harddrives into their cages ,without the mobo....

It will be interesting to see how much DDR4 helps the performance of the APUs, even if they aren't based on Zen yet.

Am i the only one that think AMD shouldn't brand zen with the FX name? i think they used this branding for some cpu's way before bulldozer, but the shitstorm that was bulldozer they should get away from that and to extent don't resuscitate other names like phenom or athlon or whatever. Its a brand new architecture and they should use a new brand name.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Since there's a lot of text, here's all the important information extracted:

• some convincing information
  • from our sources
  • wccftech

Not that it's likely to be wrong though, in this case. Since if the CPUs arrive at the end of april/ top of may, it makes sense to have board partners start paper launching a month - 6 weeks in advance.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Am i the only one that think AMD shouldn't brand zen with the FX name? i think they used this branding for some cpu's way before bulldozer, but the shitstorm that was bulldozer they should get away from that and to extent don't resuscitate other names like phenom or athlon or whatever. Its a brand new architecture and they should use a new brand name.

But think of all the jokes you could make using the letters FX!

Since there's a lot of text, here's all the important information extracted:

• some convincing information
  • from our sources
  • wccftech

Even rumors have a touch of truth to them.

I still get the feeling it will be disappointing.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Been thinking same, It causes idiotic expectations which spread false rumors, and it'd be very good to just severe older info from getting tangled up for new line.

Already thought that there should have been even clearer naming scheme for Zambezi and Vishera as the difference was for me +500MHz -10c.

I can understand why FX would be a bad idea, but at the same time, they could well do what they did with Athlon and name it the FX2 or something.

DAYTONA

I can understand why FX would be a bad idea, but at the same time, they could well do what they did with Athlon and name it the FX2 or something.

Was just about to edit that FX2 would've been better for Vishera, which would make Zen FX3?

Was just about to edit that FX2 would've been better for Vishera, which would make Zen FX3?

Wasn't Vishera more like a Zambezi refresh, though, rather than a new CPU?

DAYTONA

I mean Zen's not slated for release until Q4 of 2016 at the earliest.

Is it really normal to show off motherboards roughly 9 months ahead of release? (March 2016)

"If you ain't first, you're last"

Wasn't Vishera more like a Zambezi refresh, though, rather than a new CPU?

Well my FX-8370 runs cooler 4.6GHz than older FX-6100@4.0GHz.

I just upgraded mine because it seemed more reasonable to spend 199? at the time than buying new mobo + i7-4790K, and found the difference by accident.

Please don't be another bulldozer. Please don't be another bulldozer.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Please don't be another bulldozer. Please don't be another bulldozer.

If it is then it would put the whole market in a shit spot, not just AMD. Intel can either keep not improving much, or crush AMD and become a monopoly. they would have to screw the customers or screw them selves over. If AMD can't compete everyone loses. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

If it is then it would put the whole market in a shit spot, not just AMD. Intel can either keep not improving much, or crush AMD and become a monopoly. they would have to screw the customers or screw them selves over. If AMD can't compete everyone loses. 

If AMD can't compete they'd likely get their assets bought by Intel and nVidia.  Intel has been wanting to get in the GPU business for awhile now and nVidia has been pushing for x86 and CPU, but Intel stopped them.  If AMD died - competition would see Intel vs nVidia for the future once they negotiate x86 with one another.

If AMD can't compete they'd likely get their assets bought by Intel and nVidia.  Intel has been wanting to get in the GPU business for awhile now and nVidia has been pushing for x86 and CPU, but Intel stopped them.  If AMD died - competition would see Intel vs nVidia for the future once they negotiate x86 with one another.

ya but the development time on something of that scale is around 1-3 years. so it still will be bad for consumers for a while. also the time it takes another company to design their first ever x86 CPU intel can be dumping money on to improving it faster then the competition can get started. If AMD dies I would not expect to see competition in 2-5 years of that happening. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Everyone here thinking Zen is coming in the spring or summer, no. AM4 is also for the Carrizo desktop chips (Bristol Ridge). Zen is Summit Ridge, and that will be late Q3 into Q4.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Everyone here thinking Zen is coming in the spring or summer, no. AM4 is also for the Carrizo desktop chips (Bristol Ridge). Zen is Summit Ridge, and that will be late Q3 into Q4.

Wait, so we can actually use the AM4 platform until Zen then?

EDIT: Nevermind, Carrizo's not what i think it is hahaha

At least an APU with some high-frequency DDR4 should prove to be interesting until Zen.

"If you ain't first, you're last"