Motorized hoverboard catches fire while charging, causes major house damage

iamdarkyoshi

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/12/01/hoverboard-catches-fire-ruins-home-while-charging.html

694940094001_4639858738001_d1d16afb-91ee

The trouble started when the scooter was plugged in to charge up. Or more, the sparks started to fly.

“Before I could yell the house is on fire, the middle part of the board that would go between your feet just-poof-went into flames,” said Horne, who also said the sparks looked “like a firework.”

I personally am not surprised that this happened, as well as making it onto the news. Many battery powered products being released are being made to very low standards (in my opinion) and anything with batteries (especially lithium) should be treated with caution and respect. This could have happened with nearly any battery operated device, whether it be a phone, laptop, powerbank, etc. There is always a risk with lithium batteries, as they contain a huge amount of energy in a small space.

I do not mean to cause a huge worry about these scooters and lithium ion powered devices in general, I just want to make sure that you all aware of the risks. Nothing is perfect, but buying cheaper products (especially generic ebay items) is a risk that you have to take.

This my first full news post, please leave feedback. Thanks!

Man, that really burns.

too soon? nah.

Anyway, stuff like this is expected to happen- chances are the owner did something wrong / damaged the battery and its known that lithium ion batteries can catch fire. Oh well.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Arnt these cheap generic "segways" anyway that so happen to have become popular. Linus tech tips use them quite a lot on channel super fun so lets hope there studio doesn't get burnt down

R5 5600   Asus ROG Strix RTX2060   B550  Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4   Kingston A2000 1TB M.2    Kingston UV400 SSD   NZXT H510 Flow

Call them whatever. Hoverboard, scooter, segway, etc. 

I call them stupid

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Arnt these cheap generic "segways" anyway that so happen to have become popular. Linus tech tips use them quite a lot on channel super fun so lets hope there studio doesn't get burnt down

Hopefully the fire department doesn't think they're having another nerf battle.