Scrapyard Wars Season 4 - What would you like to see?

I'm tired of all the videos of people building "console killer" pc's but not actually testing to see if their computer can do everything that the current gen consoles can for the same or lower price.  Usually the test consists of comparing the graphics quality of one game like GTA 5 or similar and then saying that "the pc clearly kicks the consoles butt".  But in reality the consoles have much lower performance because some of the processing power is permanently set aside only to be used for things such as video capture, streaming, motion controls, and snapped apps.  If you really want to compare the power of these two devices then the pc should be tested to see if it can run all these programs ,with the same performance, simultaneously for the same price.

I would like to see Scrapyard Wars 4, or later, where the contestant's goal is to build a gaming pc setup that includes everything you get when you buy a console.  That means that: 

1) The pc must run all applications in the same way that the console does with the same performance.

2) The setup must include any other devices or extras that come in the box such as an input device (controller or keyboard and mouse), webcam (excluding infrared camera), chat solution, cables, ect.

3) The total cost of the setup must cost equal to or less than it's console counterpart.

This would be a good show to have 3 contestants again.  They could test three different console configurations like say one person would try to beat the base Xbox One, the second would have an Xbox One with kinect, and the third would go against a Playstation 4.  With the new low prices of the consoles it would be really hard complete so because you do have to pay to play on Xbox Live or PSN you could also add in some funds for that.  This would be a tough challenge but I'm sure with their skills at finding cheap used parts they would have a chance.

I think that would be really boring to watch, but hey that just my opinion.

PCPP http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Vg96f7 CPU: Intel i7 4790K MoBo: Gigabyte Z97X S.O.C Ram: G.Skill 2x 8gb GPU: 2x AMD R9 290x in CrossFire SoundCard: Creative Sound Blaster z Case: NZXT H440 RED/BLK Storage: 2x Intel 520s 120gb Raid 0 + 2tb Seagate 7200 PSU: EVGA 1000W G2 Fully Modular Display: Samsung UHD 4K 28'' KeyBoard: Corsair K65 RGB Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T 7 Sound: Logitech z506 OS: Windows 10 TP

The only thing on your list that is not in all the other scrapyard wars was they need a $10 keyboard and mouse.

Do they really need to buy shit keyboards and mice?

Boring to watch mate... Why would you aim for same performance when you can aim for higher for cheaper price?

Magical Pineapples

im hoping somrday @LinusTech will do something about workstation computers.scrapyardwars perhaps. but yeah

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Any PC is a console killer. it running a game at the same graphics level is not the measure. It running any software it wants is.

Running any software it wants is not the measure here.  If you have a friend say, "I have $400 and I would like to play GTA 5, should i buy a console or build a pc?"  you don't respond, "Obviously you should get a pc because it can run Microsoft Word."  That would be dumb because a $400 pc is not going to run GTA 5 very well if at all.

Running any software it wants is not the measure here.  If you have a friend say, "I have $400 and I would like to play GTA 5, should i buy a console or build a pc?"  you don't respond, "Obviously you should get a pc because it can run Microsoft Word."  That would be dumb because a $400 pc is not going to run GTA 5 very well if at all.

Not the meaning of the statement. Buy a game for your console off steam, buy DLC off Steam for your console when there's a sale. Consoles are limited to the software sold by the manufacturer of the console. PCs are limited by who sells software for PC. HUGE difference.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

The point of the competition is to measure price to performance.  Many people think the current generation consoles as a whole are under-powered because of their performance in games but they were designed to do much more than just play games.  If all the power of the console was used just to run one game then it would look and run much better but you wouldn't be able to do anything else at the same time.  I think that doing a scrap yard wars about it would help people realize this fact.

I understand what you are saying about the amount of games and other software available on pc, and if one of your criteria for choosing a system is the number of applications available to you then it's no contest, definitely buy a pc.  But in my hypothetical situation that carries no weight.  This dilemma comes up more for a kid who doesn't have much money and just want's to play games that are on all platforms and is trying to get the best gaming experience for their buck.

• 3 weeks later...

With the conclusion of SW Season 3 out on YouTube, this season has been an interesting one. The concept seemed boring at the start, but it actually made for an entertaining season. 

What would you guys like to see for a Season 4?

I saw a suggestion for a PC with some level of quality control, to simulate building a used rig as a daily driver. The PCs they made were impressive, but the sketchy PSUs they used are NOT a good solution, and I would sooner burn my eyeballs out than use that to burn down my house. Interesting concept, but I'm not so sure it would hold up. I also saw a suggestion for a Used vs New PC contest, but I feel this would be better left to a regular comparison video, and it's already been done by LTT.

I honestly have no idea, but I'm sure they'll come up with something.

What do you guys think?

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Legacy - only parts from pre 2010

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

since paul and kyle challenged linus and luke..I want them on season 4

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

*consolidate the episodes*

Even if they have to be delayed 1-3 months(for initial release, then it would be weekly), I would rather have less but longer episodes than 7 short episodes. I had to re watch this season since I forgot what was going on at multiple points in this show.

Other than that though, I would like to see new challenges like longevity testing(can the junk last 30 days?), daily driver test(can you live with the junk?), and real work tests like Folding@Home(PPD vs PPD, endurance, acoustics, etc.).

*consolidate the episodes*

Even if they have to be delayed 1-3 months(for initial release, then it would be weekly), I would rather have less but longer episodes than 7 short episodes. I had to re watch this season since I forgot what was going on at multiple points in this show.

Other than that though, I would like to see new challenges like longevity testing(can the junk last 30 days?), daily driver test(can you live with the junk?), and real work tests like Folding@Home(PPD vs PPD, endurance, acoustics, etc.).

That Folding@Home idea is an excellent one, and would be great for longevity testing.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Make more rules, like you must have a case that you cannot alter. Everything must fit in the case that you buy.

No dual GPU's.

Next round $350 max budget.

What about the reverse. Start out with a system, which they have to sell, then use that money to build another system?? ;-)

My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 8GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 128GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10

I'd like some combination of Season 1 and Season 3. 

So the first season was where the contestants had a fixed budget and built a more powerful system with that budget. The third season was where the contestants had no fixed budget and had to build the PC best for performance per dollar. 

The only problem is, older hardware tends to do better at performance per dollar and I don't think that a Q6600 system (despite how well it may do at performance per dollar) is powerful enough for modern tasks. 

I really want to see a challenge where all contestants must hit a specific benchmark number (e.g. 600 in Cinebench R15, 30 fps average at 1080p in certain AAA titles) and the winner is the person who can build such a system for the cheapest cost. I think it might also make sense to have some specific requirements in the rules as well, such as only certain brands/models of power supplies. 

I would also like to see perhaps a bit more time for the contestants. I feel like the current style is a bit too rushed. Sure, it's good for the drama and intensity, but I feel like it encourages the contestants to put together components hastily and often it seems as if the rigs barely work. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

I really want to see a challenge where all contestants must hit a specific benchmark number (e.g. 600 in Cinebench R15, 30 fps average at 1080p in certain AAA titles) and the winner is the person who can build such a system for the cheapest cost. I think it might also make sense to have some specific requirements in the rules as well, such as only certain brands/models of power supplies. 

I would also like to see perhaps a bit more time for the contestants. I feel like the current style is a bit too rushed. Sure, it's good for the drama and intensity, but I feel like it encourages the contestants to put together components hastily and often it seems as if the rigs barely work. 

This will be very hard to do with used hardware, especially the specific brands and models of power supplies. Those PSUs may not always be available secondhand, so if this were done, it would be best to buy them new. If you were building a rig in any scenario, you should probably be buying a new power supply anyway.

I think the concept of Scrapyard Wars is not what you should do, but what you can do. With more time, you could buy some hardware which will knock the socks off new stuff. The show is also for entertainment, not education. Adding more time would take away from the drama.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

I dont have much to say interms of new ideas, because I doubt anyone will listen to these ideas threads anyway. However they should not do 7 x 15 minute videos over nearly 2 months, its very annoying expecially when 1/3 of the content is an advert for the sponsor

Its a significant flaw that bothered many people

A maximum of 3 parts..

Pretty sure a PC is made up of at least 5 parts (7 if you want a GPU and case).

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

Generic PSU and a R9 295x2

first rig to not catch fire wins

RIP CX850M (and hopefully that fucking POS called the Pentium 4 631, and zombie P5Q Turbo).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I dont have much to say interms of new ideas, because I doubt anyone will listen to these ideas threads anyway. However they should not do 7 x 15 minute videos over nearly 2 months, its very annoying expecially when 1/3 of the content is an advert for the sponsor

Its a significant flaw that bothered many people

And guess what? You can choose to skip past the add...

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL