Scrapyard Wars Season 4 - What would you like to see?

Pretty sure a PC is made up of at least 5 parts (7 if you want a GPU and case).

Episodes of the series I meant..

Episodes of the series I meant..

Ah, fair enough.

Yeah, I agree. Not quite as short as 3, but not as long as 7. :')

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

What about having to use Parts, that aren't older than 2 years (official releaseof the product)?

And guess what? You can choose to skip past the add...

And guess what I did. You completely missed the point of what I was saying but since you have your Fanboy hat on I will not bother to respond further

And guess what I did. You completely missed the point of what I was saying but since you have your Fanboy hat on I will not bother to respond further

I honestly don't see what your problem is.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I think that setting specific performance goals while minimizing cost could work quite well

set a budget, you get extra points for every x dollars you stay under it, you lose points for every x dollars you go over.

set benchmark values. Extra points if you beat the benchmark, lose points if you go under it.

That would also encourage staying cheap, but only as long as you don't lose points based on the performance. Equally, if you go over-board with the cost then you have to absolutely obliterate the other competitors' scores in the benchmarks to win. Obviously that would require some thought as to which bonuses and penalties are given.

Also, don't stretch it out over two months like SW3. With 15 minute episodes it is hard to remember what happened early in the series (well, other than a certain Austin leaving a 1200 dollar laptop in a restaurant :)).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

9590 on a cheap (cheapest) am3+ board. Last rig that doesnt catch fire or blows up wins :)

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

imagine this, the contestant being asked to build a computer that mulit-functions.

example - one tower can serve as an server, gaming PC and network attach storage at the same time

they could use virtualization or use three motherboard.

The PC however has to only use one plug from the wall so it can mean that they have to a have an multi outlet extension cord inside the system???

The winner could be the one with the lowest price pc to number of functions at a time ???

no... Diablotech + R9 295x2

preferably with +100mV and +50% power limit, 15% core and 1500 memory

My CX850M is acting like a PSU on its last legs (I've had a fair few of those-albeit they were all 300W or weaker), and really should be RMA'd its that bad-its already killed my PCIe USB 3.0 card and several HDD.

PMSL

• 4 weeks later...

How about a performance vs portability challenge?  The scoring would include scores in benchmarks and games for performance, and system weight and dimensions along with bonus points for extra portability enhancements such as handles and wheels.

I'm tired of all these budget systems to be honest. The best value for used parts is generally in the mid to upper end parts since that's where you save the most. I want to see like ~$1000 builds. 

I want to see the guys build the best gaming computer possible out of a server boards and server processors at the cheapest price possible, and they should be able to run other tests to make sure the computer is also workstation able

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

9590 on a cheap (cheapest) am3+ board. Last rig that doesnt catch fire or blows up wins :)

Impossible but if it is then, smoke pc everyday ( you know why )

When lives hand you lemon, suck them hard and post a selfie with it.

I'm tired of all these budget systems to be honest. The best value for used parts is generally in the mid to upper end parts since that's where you save the most. I want to see like ~$1000 builds. 

I think that's what makes these challenges interesting. The biggest factor that affects the performance of your rig is money, so you restrict that, and you restrict your choices. Adaptation is needed to be competitive, hence it's funny. No one would actually try to build a half decent PC entirely from secondhand parts and sketchy PSUs, it's just funny.

You give contestants a bunch of money to play with, and it's no longer interesting. Budget for SW is the way to go. They just need to come up with something a little different.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Pointless, 9590 needs an enthusiast grade board, you wouldn't put a 4790k in a H81 board.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Personally bored of the Scrapyard wars because they're not sticking to rules, the results are boring and it takes a month for it to come to a conclusion.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Pointless, 9590 needs an enthusiast grade board, you wouldn't put a 4790k in a H81 board.

A 4790K could run and overcock safely on one due to the FIVR.

PMSL

A 4790K could run and overcock safely on one due to the FIVR.

It would be pointless though.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

any parts they want...but they have to build an actual case themselves

and it can't be just a piece of wood like lukes

and we need paul and kyle on the show since they challenged linus and luke

americans vs canadians

ncix vs newegg

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Honestly I'm getting bored of the format for the same reasons as @Benji_w . The seasons take too long to reach a conclusion, and because (if we're honest) "What part should I buy" and "Oh no, part x doesn't work" doesn't stay that interesting for very long, I tend to only watch the first few and then the last one. I think it would be good if they would reconsider their release strategy for the show, releasing it in larger chunks over a shorter period, and if they'd mix it up somehow, because all the seasons so far have basically just been "best performance with minimal spend" with no other real factors coming in to it.

They need a new USP for each season, like portable PCs, SFF, HTPC, NAS and so on to keep it interesting, because repeated budget gaming PCs every season is boring.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz