[Rumor] AMD could be supplying chips for next generation of consoles in 2018

Sammael

I'm honestly done with consoles, I don't want to put all of the games I buy on disk on the 500gb hdd that holds 10 games at most, I don't want to pay for multiplayer access and to access the store to buy more stuff, I don't want to play and 900p and I don't want to pay $70 per game. And lastly, I don't want shitty servers. I just really hope AMD can pull off their zen chips and all will be well.

Takes about 5 minuts to swap that 500GB drive over to a 2TB

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Is this surprising in any way? amd did the last consoles and intel has no interest in doing it. 

I  have GameServer`s And VOIP servers the only price is that you have fun on them. 

Takes about 5 minuts to swap that 500GB drive over to a 2TB

yeah, and? the points that follow my complaint about the hard drive are way more important.

it is 2x Athlon 5350 which is downclocked. Quite litterally it is 2x 5350s...

It still does not have the performance of two 5350s. It's not that simple.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It still does not have the performance of two 5350s. It's not that simple.

i know, but the Jaguar APU used in the XBox and PS4 is basically based off of the 5350.

The PS4 also has an auxiliary ARM cpu for OS tasks.

Is this surprising in any way? amd did the last consoles and intel has no interest in doing it.

Yea, this less a rumor and more an educated guess. Unless some other company jumped into the hardware game between now and the launch of the next consoles (if any), it was always safe to assume AMD would be their vendor.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

If consoles actually made amd money then cool...

But literally the fact that AMD made all of the "current gen" consoles probably has only hurt AMD's standing with /pcmasterrace and contrary to what so many people seem to think, the enthusiast market is a massive disproportionate profit sink, and that is where AMD is having the most issues.

AMD thought that its issue was no one knew about them, but its real issue was no one cared about them. Consoles will never make pcmasterrace care. Just ask IBM.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I seriously do not think consoles will be able to achieve true VR in the next 3 years (but only time will tell of course). 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

I seriously do not think consoles will be able to achieve true VR in the next 3 years (but only time will tell of course). 

Actually, I think the lesson Microsoft will take from this generation is that weaker hardware WILL affect the perception of your console and the install base, even if they make of the revenue difference with xbox live subs.  I fully expect them to go with something much more powerful next time, and it helps that by 2018 amd will likely be able to deliver a 250-300 dollar APU design with significant performance increases compared to what's available today.

in 2018 such a design for that price could easily be 1.5x-2x the performance of a 980ti/fury x with a gpu arch that is up to 3 generations newer than what we have today, and a zen successor for a cpu with much improved ipc, plus the same shared memory they have today, probably bumped to 8-16 GB HBM by default.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Actually, I think the lesson Microsoft will take from this generation is that weaker hardware WILL affect the perception of your console and the install base, even if they make of the revenue difference with xbox live subs.  I fully expect them to go with something much more powerful next time, and it helps that by 2018 amd will likely be able to deliver a 250-300 dollar APU design with significant performance increases compared to what's available today.

in 2018 such a design for that price could easily be 1.5x-2x the performance of a 980ti/fury x with a gpu arch that is up to 3 generations newer than what we have today, and a zen successor for a cpu with much improved ipc, plus the same shared memory they have today, probably bumped to 8-16 GB HBM by default.

Yes but the consoles still have to make a profit, console buyers aren't going to pay another $300 for better hardware, and Microsoft and Sony have to make profit, so I really don't think a console will be able to run a VR setup with decent graphics, 1440p and run at 144fps (which is necessary for VR).

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Why do they need to use APUs in consoles instead of CPUs and mobile gpus?

Yes but the consoles still have to make a profit, console buyers aren't going to pay another $300 for better hardware, and Microsoft and Sony have to make profit, so I really don't think a console will be able to run a VR setup with decent graphics, 1440p and run at 144fps (which is necessary for VR).

Actually, Console hardware doesnt need to make a profit, in fact they can lose money if it means it's going to be more performant. the PS1, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube and N64 all didnt make a profit as far as I remember. Dont forget that Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo makes a cut out of every game sold on their platform, just like Steam.

edit: actually ~90hz is what you need for VR, 144hz is not a necessity, it's just better.

They should be handling 1080p60 right now. 1080p60 should be the standard by now.

I hate this logic with a passion

It's Telling developers "i know you want to create interesting dynamic worlds on PS4, but some PC players are angry and say you can only make 60FPS games"

Oh, well i guess

1080 60

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/7/7/8/2/5/8/PS4_001.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/90/format/jpg

1080 30

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/7/5/6/6/2/1/PS4_000.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/90/format/jpg

I guess Witcher 3 shouldn't be allowed on PS4 and we should only get bland grey deserts.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Why do they need to use APUs in consoles instead of CPUs and mobile gpus?

Because it condenses heat and lowers cost

Why would you want to use discrete parts of the same performance?

the PS4 GPU is a 7970M equivalent. Sure maybe we might have seen 2 bulldozer modules instead but would that really be better?

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

I hate this logic with a passion

The PS3 could run Ratchet and Clank A Crack In Time at 1080p60, despite its age and the game still looked great. You're telling me devs can't do that now?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

AMD is really the only vendor that can make console SoCs.

NVIDIA lacks a license to x86 and aren't interested in the console market.

Intel has x86, but their graphics units are more tuned for low energy consumption than power, and their services never come cheaply.

CPU: Intel Core i3 4370 (3.8GHz, 2C/4T) GPU: AMD R9 380X 4GB

The PS3 could run Ratchet and Clank A Crack In Time at 1080p60, despite its age. You're telling me devs can't do that now?

I just showed you a 1080 60 game, i also showed you a 1080 30 game, theres a reason to make both, theres room in the market for both. 1080 60 comes at some heavy compromises, games like fallout 4 would take some serious retooling to work at 1080 60

and Rachet and Clank runs at

Similar to the last Ratchet game, we peg A Crack in Time at 960x704 in the final analysis, but the proprietary AA buffer merging technique does an astonishingly good job of creating the effect of native 720p, albeit with a slight blur.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/insomniac-60fps-no-more

games like fallout 4 would take some serious retooling to work at 1080 60

And that's why you develop it from ground up to run at 60FPS. It might take more work, but I'm tired of people accepting 30FPS as "playable." I don't agree with your logic - A Crack In Time looks great and runs at 1080p60 on severely limiting hardware. If developers put more work into their games, they can accomplish the same, especially since they have a greater amount of computational resources at their fingertips. There is no excuse for 30FPS unless the game looks THAT amazing, but IMO, they don't.

I really don't understand these days what takes so long to make a console. All they are now are locked down PCs. I hope steam machines slowly kill consoles. The only thing consoles have going for them is that you can resell your games.

<p> AMD Ryzen 7 5800x l ASUS TUF X570-PLUS l G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32GB l Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX

And that's why you develop it from ground up to run at 60FPS. It might take more work, but I'm tired of people accepting 30FPS as "playable." I don't agree with your logic - A Crack In Time looks great and runs at 1080p60 on severely limiting hardware. If developers put more work into their games, they can accomplish the same, especially since they have a greater amount of computational resources at their fingertips. There is no excuse for 30FPS unless the game looks THAT amazing, but IMO, they don't.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/insomniac-60fps-no-more

R&C runs at 960x704 according to actual professionals who know what they are talking about.

now again i showed you what a 1080 60 game looks like. More work will not get a 1080 30 game running at 60, you may get there, but there will be heavy compromises. To put a rule that 1080 30 or lower resolutions shouldn't be around is just absurd, there is enough room in the market for titles that run at 30 and 60, I want games like Until Dawn, Detroit, Witcher 3, along side 1080 60 stuff. But its the developers game at the end of the day, if you want 60FPS, get the PC version.

1080 30 is playable, and has its place, 1080 60 is better, but will not give you the same experience. To ask Witcher, or Fallout to run at 60 is a misuse of resources when the game will look much worse, and the game play style does not benefit in the ways stuff like Call of Duty, Metal Gear, Wolfenstien, Metro, Sports games, Battlefield games, stuff like that do from the increased refresh rate.

When suddenly, AMD chooses 10nm process for no reason just to beat Intel.

AMD beat intel? No their next cpu line up was supposed to compete with the 4690 and 4790 generation cpu's skylake is already beating it and by the time they actually get around to releasing im sure intel would have moved from skylake.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

Iris 6200 is way ahead so the only scenarios that I can think for this are

1) Zen somehow surpasses intel by a comfortable margin....unlikely

2) AMD makes another terrible deal and gets almost no margin on the APUs

So I really think they shoudn't. Like at all. Let Intel or Nvidia supply em.

-------

Current Rig

-------

But its the developers game at the end of the day, if you want 60FPS, get the PC version.

PC version of Need For Speed Rivals runs at 30FPS without tweaking, and if you do tweak it, better make sure you edit the frame rate of the physics engine because that's tied to it and makes the game literally run faster. Arkham Knight was released at 30FPS on PC at launch.

Gaming on PC doesn't mean you're going to get 60FPS as an option. Because of the whole "cinematic" shit, we're starting to get games locked to 30FPS on PC.

Iris 6200 is way ahead so the only scenarios that I can think for this are

1) Zen somehow surpasses intel by a comfortable margin....unlikely

2) AMD makes another terrible deal and gets almost no margin on the APUs

So I really think they shoudn't. Like at all. Let Intel or Nvidia supply em.

Intel will never go cheap enough to put in a console, and Iris will never beat an amd console GPU unless it swells up several times larger,