Samsung Announces new Exynos 8 Chip with custom CPU Cores

AlTech

Note - All info here is Anandtech's work. And is not by me!

QOUTE:

In an unexpected and surprise announcement, Samsung today revealed its new generation flagship SoC - the Exynos 8. The Exynos 8890 to be more specific, is the successor to the Exynos 7420 that we've come to know very well in this year's Galaxy flagships such as the Galaxy S6 or the Note5.

The Exynos 8890 is still an 4+4 big.LITTLE design using four Cortex A53 cores in the little cluster, but on the big cluster we see for the first time Samsung's own custom developed CPU architecture deployed in silicon. The new core, officially called the Exynos M1, is the first fruit of years-long efforts by Samsung's Austin R&D Center to try to create an in-house CPU architecture. What we do know of the M1 is that it's still very similar to ARM's big core architectures (And thus might be a derivative) such as the A72: It's still a 3-wide OoO design with the same amount of execution pipelines and similar, although not quite identical pipeline stages on the execution units.

Samsung is claiming the Exynos 8890 will provide up to 30% higher performance and 10% better power efficiency than the Exynos 7420's - although the wording is a bit vague and doesn't specify if we're talking about a pure architectural comparison or actual implementation comparison, as previous PR numbers on the Exynos 7420 also didn't quite represent the full improvements of the chipset.

On the GPU side, we see usage of an ARM Mali T880MP12. This is the biggest Mali core implementation to date and increases the number of cores by 50% compared to the Exynos 7420's MP8 configuration. Keeping in mind that the T880 also increases ALU pipelines per core by 50%, we're looking at an 2.25x increase in computational power assuming Samsung kept the clock frequencies equal. Alternatively, they could go lower in frequency for much improved power efficiency. Samsung advertises 4K as an option for this SoC so likely we're looking at a very powerful GPU setup.

The Exynos 8890 is announced to enter mass production in late 2015. With just six weeks left in the calendar year this likely means we're already seeing silicon being etched as we speak, just in time for Samsung's new Galaxy flagship early next year.

bL_575px.png

Source: Anandtech http://anandtech.com/show/9781/samsung-announces-exynos-8890-with-cat1213-modem-and-custom-cpu

UNQOUTE:

YAY, I was always a big fan of Exynos Chips but now I absolutely love them! All the flagships next year need this!  IMo this is worlds better than S810,, S808 or  S805. The S820 is unproven and as such I'll wait to jump to a conclusion.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

You're supposed to quote and paraphrase. And provide some personal thoughts. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

So instead of optimizing a core Samsung opts to just jam in more cores, both with CPU and GPU. Even the SD820 went back to being "just" a quad core (actually a 2x2 design). And Samsung is using its own 14 nm FinFET setup which we know from the A9 "Chipgate" isn't as efficient as it can be, so that will be interesting.

Ye ole' train

So instead of optimizing a core Samsung opts to just jam in more cores, both with CPU and GPU. Even the SD820 went back to being "just" a quad core (actually a 2x2 design). And Samsung is using its own 14 nm FinFET setup which we know from the A9 "Chipgate" isn't as efficient as it can be, so that will be interesting.

No. It has just as many cores as Last gen Exynos. With custom cores instead of off the shelf cortex A57s

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

YAY, I was always a big fan of Exynos Chips but now I absolutely love them! All the flagships next year need this!  IMo this is worlds better than S810,, S808 or  S805. The S820 is unproven and as such I'll wait to jump to a conclusion.

7420 was already better than all of those chips, so not point really to compare 8890 with them as well. 

For some reason I think it's gonna beat the 820. Just a hunch. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

7420 was already better than all of those chips, so not point really to compare 8890 with them as well. 

For some reason I think it's gonna beat the 820. Just a hunch. 

It'll definitely win in "Low power" mode. Not too sure about "High performance" mode

Iirc someone did a test with 20 iPhones with different chips and they all were almost the same. I'll have to look it up to be sure, on phone atm. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I wonder how well those M1 cores will be as far as single threaded performance.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

i have a samsung A9 in my phone. it almost makes me hate it lol

my phone overheated the other day when I was using the GPS in my car, now to be fair the sun was beating down on it, but I had to wonder whether the TSMC chip would of been better lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Looks like a very interesting chip. Maybe I have gotten used to being spoiled with huge performance increases on a yearly basis in phones, but 30% higher performance and 10% better efficiency seems rather low to me. I wonder when it is 10% more efficient. Is it all the time, only with the M1 cores or with the A53 cores?

That GPU though... We are going from an 8 core T760 to a 12 core T880.

According to ARM themselves the T880 got 80% higher performance and is 40% more efficient than the T760. That should put it quite far ahead of the iPhone 6S, (assuming no other bottlenecks appear).

I like how you're already complaining when we know next to nothing about it. They didn't "jam in more cores". They kept the core count the same as their current 7420.

It will be fun to see how this stacks up against the SD820.

my phone overheated the other day when I was using the GPS in my car, now to be fair the sun was beating down on it, but I had to wonder whether the TSMC chip would of been better lol

It is worth noting that there is a very high possibility that there are Samsung A9s that are better than TSMC A9 chips. It all depends on how lucky you were. If you wanna blame someone then blame Apple for allowing too wide variations.

My iPhone 5 did that while driving around. One of the great things about metal phones is that it dissipates heat from electronics. The bad thing is that it can also absorb a lot of heat from the sun. 

My iPhone 5 did that while driving around. One of the great things about metal phones is that it dissipates heat from electronics. The bad thing is that it can also absorb a lot of heat from the sun. 

yep! Smothering it in a case doesn't help either lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

You're supposed to quote and paraphrase. And provide some personal thoughts. 

And make the post decently formatted.

Looks like a very interesting chip. Maybe I have gotten used to being spoiled with huge performance increases on a yearly basis in phones, but 30% higher performance and 10% better efficiency seems rather low to me. I wonder when it is 10% more efficient. Is it all the time, only with the M1 cores or with the A53 cores?

That GPU though... We are going from an 8 core T760 to a 12 core T880.

According to ARM themselves the T880 got 80% higher performance and is 40% more efficient than the T760. That should put it quite far ahead of the iPhone 6S, (assuming no other bottlenecks appear).

I like how you're already complaining when we know next to nothing about it. They didn't "jam in more cores". They kept the core count the same as their current 7420.

It will be fun to see how this stacks up against the SD820.

It is worth noting that there is a very high possibility that there are Samsung A9s that are better than TSMC A9 chips. It all depends on how lucky you were. If you wanna blame someone then blame Apple for allowing too wide variations.

It is the same as last year's performance from Quad core A15s to A57s. The good news is that samsung will get better battery life in "low power" mode compared to Snapdragon 820 (uses A53s as low power cores instead of just 4 high performance cores)

No, you wouldn't. It's been proven many many times that there is no significant difference between the two. Both chips have a range of power draws, on some tests Samsung did better, other tests, tmsc did better. In real world useage, reviewers found 5-10 minute differences in battery life. Samsung has been found to run 1-2 degree hotter but I'd say that's within The margin of error. Some favor Samsung some favor tmsc. Bottom line the only people who still believe in Chipgate are those who are out of the loop or just hate Samsung with a dying passion.