GameWorks VR To Be Included In Unreal Engine 4, Helps Getting Up To 50% More Performance

Mr_Troll

GameWorks VR To Be Included In Unreal Engine 4, Helps Getting Up To 50% More Performance

NVIDIA’s GameWorks VR will be included in Epic’s Unreal Engine 4. NVIDIA announced this during the VRX conference in San Francisco, while noting that UE4 “powers hundreds of games on PCs and consoles. And it’s becoming a key tool to create immersive experiences of all kinds“.

Multi-Resolution Shading was detailed as part of the GameWorks VR toolset.

Multi-res shading works with VR headsets to put more performance where users can see it.

It delivers higher resolution at the center of the image, where our eyes are focused, and lower resolution at the periphery, where they’re not. Because VR headsets “warp” or distort the periphery of an image, Multi-res Shading saves graphics workload without sacrificing image quality.

As demonstrated at VRX using the UE4 demo Reflection Subway, this GameWorks VR technology will help VR developers get up to 50% more performance out of their UE4-based VR games and applications.

VRX-Keynote-MRS-635x357.png

This particular GameWorks VR feature will be especially useful because VR gaming is going to require a lot more performance. NVIDIA prepared a slide noting that high-end VR could require up to 7X performance; that’s using 1080P@30FPS as the base example.

VRX-Keynote-7X-635x357.png

Finally, NVIDIA stated that it intends to bring the installed base of GeForce VR ready PCs from the current 5 million to more than 130 million by 2020. That’s certainly a lofty goal, since 2020 is only five years away.

Quite a few Unreal Engine 4 titles are being developed with VR in mind. ADR1FT might be the most popular, but there’s also Loading Human, EVE Valkyrie and a number of smaller projects; of course, if VR devices prove to be a success when they launch in a few months, it’s likely that many more UE4 games will be programmed to support VR in the future.

So Gameworks and perfromance gains they say? i call bs. gameworks never really helped gaining fps in games.

Source:

http://wccftech.com/gameworks-vr-to-be-included-in-unreal-engine-4-helps-getting-up-to-50-more-performance/

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/11/09/gameworks-vr-unreal-engine-4-ue4/

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

Sounds good however I hope it isn't something that solely helps Nvidia GPUs although it probably does or they would have no competitive reason to develop it.

Isn't surprising to be honest. UE4 has been built hand in hand with Nvidia for their features and their VR tech is cutting a ton of useless pixels out of the picture. Can't wait for actual benchmarks though.

Choo choo, hate train rollin' in.

I mean this is the whole msaa vs other aa's all over again.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I don't expect much of an improvement without upgrading to the latest gpu again. Sigh.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Now it will be interesting how this works on AMD cards. It should improve performance since it dynamically changes detail resolution by what the user is focused on, but anything can happen. They could lock it down like PhysX.

Somewhat similar to what Halo 5 does with lowering the resolution in intense situations to keep the frame rate up while not making it noticeable since it is hard to notice when there are explosions going on.

So Gameworks and perfromance gains they say? i call bs. gameworks never really helped gaining fps in games.

Gameworks is just a library of software, and now it's going to include this VR performance enhancement. AMD is even working on their own to help out with VR performance.

Screw you nvidia. Die in a hole. 

Like Nvidia or not, they're pushing graphical advancements forward. AMD is as well, but not nearly as much.

Gameworks is just a library of software, and now it's going to include this VR performance enhancement. AMD is even working on their own to help out with VR performance.

Like Nvidia or not, they're pushing graphical advancements forward. AMD is as well, but not nearly as much.

If it weren't for HBM we'd still have VR causing nausea left right and center.

I'm highly skeptical about GW adding perfomrance - overtessallated assets do not give you more fps.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

If it weren't for HBM we'd still have VR causing nausea left right and center.

I'm highly skeptical about GW adding perfomrance - overtessallated assets do not give you more fps.

I don't know what HBM has to do with this. Do you own a VR headset and a Fury card, and can confirm your claim?

Like I said, Gameworks is just a library of software. Use your brain.

I don't know what HBM has to do with this. Do you own a VR headset and a Fury card, and can confirm your claim?

Like I said, Gameworks is just a library of software. Use your brain.

I'm saying what I've read - the low latency of HBM makes for a more enjoyable experience

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Using A sync cores and co developing HBM isn't pushing graphics??? What universe do you live in?

I'm saying what I've read - the low latency of HBM makes for a more enjoyable experience

Low latency between the memory and the GPU, not low latency between the card and the headset.

The latter is what affects nausea.

Apart from increasing frame rates, HBM will have 0 effect on whether VR causes nausea or not.

Exactly. Saying what you've read.

Using A sync cores and co developing HBM isn't pushing graphics??? What universe do you live in?

The same one you are. Reread what I said, mate.

It's funny how they say VR is 7 times more demanding than PC gaming and then they compare 1080p @30FPS and 3024x1680 @90FPS. They could've compared it to 720p @30 FPS and said how it's even more demanding. 1080p @30 is the console standard, not PC. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Why not just rename it to Unreal GameWorks engine already. I've never seen a gaming engine implement so much proprietary vendor specific code before.

As for VR it sounds like AMD LiquidVR is the preferred technology for presentations, but I don't have any experience on the matter. Good thing the entie industry is moving towards their own proprietary engines, instead of relying on Unreal Engine and similar.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Ofc it will be implemented in UE4, Tim has Jen hand so up in his puppet ass that I'm sure he even has his sleep powered by nvidia pillows.

tp,220x200,ffffff,t-pad,220x200,ffffff.6tp,220x200,ffffff,t-pad,220x200,ffffff.6

calling it right now:

this shit will be so broken that even 980Ti's in SLI (with working and optimized SLI profile and 80%+ scaling) will struggle at low settings.

But market share gives you 50% more fps!

But market share gives you 50% more fps!

no, market share gives you 50% more fanboys, which again gives you +50 resistence to class action lawsuits for screwing over the customers.

They really need to stop this and just focus on hardware... I'm sure they can do far more.

no, market share gives you 50% more fanboys, which again gives you +50 resistence to class action lawsuits for screwing over the customers.

But it gives you - 40% to chances of being bought by sane individuals and -80% to not being compared to a blackbox!