Meet the new Sennheiser Orpheus

orpheus-headphones.jpg

sennheiser-orpheus-top.jpg?itok=r-q0mEW3

If you're tired of those Apple EarPods, I have a treat for you. Sennheiser is attempting to make the world's best headphones. Again.

Back in 1991, Sennheiser created the Orpheus HE90, which became widely known as the best pair of headphones money can buy. They came with an amplifier, cost $16,000 and only 300 pairs were made. If you wanted them today, the Orpheus HE90 would cost you triple the retail price, if you can even find a pair for sale.

"THE ORPHEUS ISN'T REALLY MADE FOR PLAYING MUSIC FROM YOUR SMARTPHONE"

Nearly 25 years later, Sennheiser has returned with an updated version of the Orpheus, and this time it will cost you €50,000 (roughly $55,000). The new Orpheus headphones have been in development for over a decade. Hand-crafted in Germany using over 6,000 components including gold-vaporized ceramic electrodes, platinum-vaporized diaphragms, and Carrara marble amplifier housing from Italy — the same used by Michelangelo — the Orpheus is far more ornate than your average high-end headphones.

But all those precious metals aren't just for show; they can noticeably improve conductivity when utilized properly, and given Sennheiser's history of crafting excellent headphones, they were likely crucial to the construction of the Orpheus. The luxury extends to the amplifier as well; the control elements are crafted from a single piece of brass which is then plated with chrome. Even turning on the headphones is a precession, with those chrome-plated brass knobs extending out from within the amplifier housing, the eight quartz-encased vacuum tubes rising from the amplifier base and starting to glow, all before the glass encasing around the headphones is raised. But would you expect any less for €50,000?

-The Verge

Like the original headphones, the new Orpheus are not designed for portability, they're designed to sit on your desk like a piece of art. The originals featured a tube amplifier constructed out of wood, metal, and glass, complete with a key to turn them on and warm up the vacuum tubes. Sennheiser has gone for a more modern aesthetic for the new model, opting for a marble transistor amplifier that also "combines to perfection the advantages of a tube amplifier." Sennheiser says it used marble shipped from Carrara, Italy, home to the same marble that Michelangelo used.

Each of the amplifier's controls are created using a single piece of brass, and once you turn the headphones on, the quartz glass vacuum tubes rise up from the marble enclosure and emit their characteristic glow.

And while the design of the headphones themselves hearkens back to the original Orpheus, the new version loses the wooden accents in favor of a modern color scheme that's not unlike Sennheiser's popular HD 800, though it retains the characteristic, oval-shaped metallic grill.

“It is able to deceive our senses in a completely unique way, creating the perfect illusion of being directly immersed in the sound," Sennheiser CEO Daniel Sennheiser said of the new Orpheus.

-Tech Insider

Article 1: http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/3/9663230/sennheisers-new-orpheus-headphones-will-cost-you-55000

Article 2:http://www.techinsider.io/new-sennheiser-orpheus-headphones-cost-about-55000-2015-11

I've been waiting for another headphone to relish over and I think i just found it.

The only problem is.....where am I going to get that much money

Wow those actually look nice.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

Beautiful. 

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

i want that so much i was waiting for a new Orpheus but no one could justify that price tag unless they want to waste money. although i could see someon buying them as an investment look at how much the originals gained in price 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Very impressed. The Orpheus is considered by many as the best headphones ever made. 

Are these better than beats though?

It doesn't have enough glossy plastic on it, so yeah beats are better

/sarcasm

thought you were being serious for a second there then saw what headphones you have :P

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Well, I know what I'm getting if I ever win the lottery xD

I had a rare opportunity to listen to the old Orpheus, and words can't even begin to describe how mind-blowingly AMAZING they were. I can't even begin to imagine what THESE will sound like.

If anyone here ever gets these, PLEASE do a review of them xD

Speaking seriously though, Beats are better than the Orpheus if you're walking down the streets listening to MP3s on an iPod.

Of course, they're still not the best headphones you could get for the price, but my point still stands.

Adults are just kids with bigger wallets.

AMAZING!!!

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

time to rob a bank!

again

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Speaking seriously though, Beats are better than the Orpheus if you're walking down the streets listening to MP3s on an iPod.

Of course, they're still not the best headphones you could get for the price, but my point still stands.

There also could be a price to performance benefit of the beats if we get real technical.

$300 for studios vs 55,000 for the best headphones ever constructed.

Those earpads look so comfortable

Damn, that's one hell of a shelf piece.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

They're not painted red so obviously not.

i want that so much i was waiting for a new Orpheus but no one could justify that price tag unless they want to waste money. although i could see someon buying them as an investment look at how much the originals gained in price 

Only 300 pieces of the original Orpheus were made. They are collectable items now. The new Orpheus isn't a limited production.

Only 300 pieces of the original Orpheus were made. They are collectable items now. The new Orpheus isn't a limited production.

ya i posted that before i read the entire article but i doubt they will be made for a long time though as there are a very limited amount of people who would drop 50k on headphones and amps

As if the pricing of TOTL headphones wasn't already ridiculous enough, he have to endure this nonsense.