Fury X now equal to 980 ti @1440p and superior @4k

potoooooooo

I'm sorry, but saying GCN 1.2 is more capable than Maxwell is a statement that has less than 0 evidence to back it up. GCN 1.2 is still so shitty, they have to use over 50% SP compute over Maxwell to get the same gaming results.

That said. It's very interesting, and I wonder if the issues FIJI has are due to the HBM design, due to GCN 1.2 scaling or a mixture of both. Honestly we will find out later.

And like I mentioned earlier, we have yet to see AMD put forth a competitively efficient scaled down version of GCN 1.2 (Tonga is not competitive with Maxwell from a power stand point whatsoever), and I understand that in this generation they really never tried, but to say they will magically be better next time around, when they haven't shown that to be the case yet is rather naive.

Fiji is fucked because it is HEAVILY ROP and TMU limited... it has the compute performance, but it cannot push enough pixels or textures to match its monstrous compute...

If they had given it more ROPs and more TMUs rather then just an absurd amount of SPs, it would most likely beat anything Nvidia could hope to bring on the market.

If they also had split their core setup, so instead of using 4 "channels" and then divide the geometry between these, and instead went with 5 or 6 channels, albeit shorter then the extremely long ones they have atm. Then tesselation performance should have gone up too.

They were probably limited in what they could do with TDP, die area and what-not. However THEY HAD THE OPPORTUNITY to beat the Titan X. Not only on price, but RAW performance.

Also, GCN as a architecture is WAY stronger then Maxwell.

Kepler was a good architecture, slightly flawed, but good due to its much higher double precision...

For a good idea how strong GCN is when it REALLY matters (pure double precision load), go look at FirePro W9100 vs Quadro M6000/M6200...now think, FirePro W9100 is 2500 USD... the Quadro is 4500 USD...

One should imagine that the best Nvidia can offer would have good double precision (basically flawless calculation)... but it does not. It gets REKT!! sometimes as bad as by 50-80% depending on the application...

Maxwell, as a architecture is ONLY effective because it is DOWNCLOCKED. this is prolly why all of them OC like beasts... they down-clocked the architecture to cut the power...

Effectively selling customers not knowing how to OC or wanting to OC, a shittier product then it COULD have been. It also meant that it wouldnt pressure AMD too much.

Now imagine if they had say... kept the base clock of the 970 Reference model at like 1350-1400 instead of around 1000-1100....

It would have performer ONE TIER better... but i think Nvidia knew that if they raised the bar too much, AMD would actually go all in. Nvidia knows that GCN is a damn strong architecture, they KNOW that if AMD would be forced to release a monster of a GPU or even speed up Arctic Islands, they would be in the dump.

But by just beating the 200 series by mere 10-15%, they knew AMD would cheap out and not spend huge money on an upgrade of their full hardware line. This in turn meant that if AMD did a refresh, like they did, Nvidia would comfortably sit there with as good performance but also that crucial "we are more efficient. We save money on your powerbill" argument

errr no. aftermarket cards are going to be around the 980 ti lightning, and thats ~15% faster + user OC...for the same price. 

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

for the same price. 

This is only true for the US/Canada region though.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

This is only true for the US/Canada region though.

i dont know about finland but here in the uk AMD tends to be the same price as nvidea 

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

i dont know about finland but here in the uk AMD tends to be the same price as nvidea 

In New Zealand, AMD's cards are usually more expensive. Whatever. I'd still rather get an Arctic Islands GPU than a pascal one. 

The 295X2 is still a beast, if you don't care about power. I bet it will be like £400 or maybe lower at black Friday, they went down to £450 last year.

The 295X2 is still a beast, if you don't care about power. I bet it will be like £400 or maybe lower at black Friday, they went down to £450 last year.

I thought about the 295x2 as it is still an absolute monster, and is aio cooled so it was everything I wanted, but I didn't want crossfire issues :-( nothing against amd as i wouldn't want sli either

I thought about the 295x2 as it is still an absolute monster, and is aio cooled so it was everything I wanted, but I didn't want crossfire issues :-( nothing against amd as i wouldn't want sli either

Yeah, I had two HD7850's in crossfire for a time, and in some games they performed amazing for the price/performance (BF4). I think BF4 is about as good a crossfire scaling as you can get, but in some games it's virtually none existent. I will be staying with my 970 until I upgrade my whole rig towards the end of next year I think.

cool !

wccftech >.>   hmmmm...

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

>wccf

>not following rules of posting in news

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

Good shit, too bad the ship has sailed. It would had sold better when there was hype on launch day. AMD couldn't deliver with limited supply and bad drivers then meanwhile Nvidia released the 980Ti to counter sales. Only worth it if you haven't invested on a 980ti already.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

It's so funny that people don't know that WCCF is just reposting it, same as Linustechtips news section.

Seriously, it's on Techpowerup.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_980_Ti_Lightning/23.html

Might as well say IGN is a bad source because it posts news. 

Seriously, from time to time every company is going to get ahead and whatnot.

All other AMD cards also get a sizable performance boost:

http://wccftech.com/amd-r9-fury-x-performance-ahead-nvidia-980-ti-latest-drivers/

Yes... the Fury X with it's beast reference cooler which is about as good as a cooler can get beats a reference 980 Ti at Nvidia's stock clock... Then proceeds to get murdered by a non reference 980 Ti which is what the Fury X is suppose to equal to...

And no idea why the OP didn't put up pictures. Here you go:

perfrel_2560_1440.pngperfrel_3840_2160.png

Yes... the Fury X with it's beast reference cooler which is about as good as a cooler can get beats a reference 980 Ti at Nvidia's stock clock... Then proceeds to get murdered by a non reference 980 Ti which is what the Fury X is suppose to equal to...

And no idea why the OP didn't put up pictures. Here you go:

Yeah i notice the same thing. A stock reference 980ti, but the "real" 980ti which is the lightening (having a long history of making top class cards) just cleans the floor, and is not even overclocked

Eh, it gets crushed by a non reference 980Ti that's not even overclocked. So realistically you can figure it's about 30% slower, and if it's still like it was upon launch really has no overclocking either. Still seems like a fail.

Did you report the first post?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Cool story now I ask you who uses reference 980tis

Who wants a non blower card for a multi card configuration....