Fury X now equal to 980 ti @1440p and superior @4k

potoooooooo

I don't understand why Nvidia owners are so mad about this. This is a great news because it will push Nvidia to release better video cards.

The thing we want to avoid is a market without competition. Nvidia could do anything in this case, even payable drivers.

CPU: i7 4790K | MB: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 32Go Hyper X Fury 1866MHz | GPU's: GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Corsair AX 850 | Storage: Vertex 3, 2x Sandisk Ultra II,Velociraptor | Case : Corsair Air 540

Mice: Steelseries Rival | KB: Corsair K70 RGB | Headset: Steelseries H wireless

When did the 390x overtake the 980? I thought they were tied.

They seem to be trading blows recently but yeah, lately the two Hawaii cards have been beating the 970/980 combo. Looks like AMD's drivers caught up. Just imagine if those cards were at this level when they launched in 2013 or even last year - The entire top end NV line up would have been killed, including the 780 Ti but yeah, good to see both sides offering good performance. 

Competition is heating up again and I wouldn't be surprised if market share within the 390/X/970/980 tier shifts towards AMD - although I'm doubtful that'll really happen

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

Although the Fury X might be better, I've gone over 5GB of VRAM on certain 4k games. Of which the Fury would tank in FPS at that point, once HBM get's better/higher memory then it's the best choice. 

CPU: i7 8700k   Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero  RAM: 16GB @ 3600Mhz  GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G  Case: Fractal Design R5 (4 Intakes/3Exhausts)  Storage: Crucial BX100 SSD, Samsung 850 & Seagate 2TB HDD  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo '850W'  CPU Cooling: Corsair H110i GT 

Competition is heating up again and I wouldn't be surprised if market share within the 390/X/970/980 tier shifts towards AMD - although I'm doubtful that'll really happen

AMD's discrete GPU share hit an all time low in Q2 2015. Since then it has been increasing again primarily due to sales in the R9 380 to 390 price segments and DX12/Vulkan buzz.

AMD's discrete GPU share hit an all time low in Q2 2015. Since then it has been increasing again primarily due to sales in the R9 380 to 390 price segments and DX12/Vulkan buzz.

Ahh ok, not too surprised by that. NV isn't competing too well in those segments 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

So by this logic my SSD is bigger than a 750 GB Hard Drive? Good to know...

Glad to see competition, and click bait title is click bait.

NO.

It's all in how a GPU can use the memory.

4GB of DDR3 would be more beneficial than 1GB of GDDR5 in 3D modeling, but not really gaming. I know less memory = less space to fit shit in, but if you can't really use all of your memory, what's the point of being here.

I'm not defending the Fury X, just saying, that's not how it works.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

But it's known that for 1080p, 4gb is recommended and 3gb the minimum.

For 4k, 4gb really isn't enough and 6gb is ideal and having even more doesn't hurt. Optimizations can only really help so much and will inhibit higher resolution textures from improving the overall iq that you see. 

VRAM isn't the big issue bruh

What? 4GB for 1080p? 2gb is plenty enough for 1080p in 90% of all titles.. Is that really a "known fact"? If so, i totally missed the memo.

People just like making stuff up and running with it, and listening to other people and regurgitating it without actual proof.

NO.

It's all in how a GPU can use the memory.

4GB of DDR3 would be more beneficial than 1GB of GDDR5 in 3D modeling, but not really gaming. I know less memory = less space to fit shit in, but if you can't really use all of your memory, what's the point of being here.

I'm not defending the Fury X, just saying, that's not how it works.

No one developing a game has utilized HBM for what it is yet, and in my humble opinion, as cool at the cards with HBM on them are, they were merely a tech demo at best, showing that it works.

Maybe next year when both vendors have new cards that are an actual step up in performance (which is the hope) we'll start seeing HBM be utilized for what it can do.

its hbm and more vram != better performance when did we come back to more vram = faster?

When your game uses more VRAM than you have on hand, yes, more VRAM does mean better performance.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Compression is a thing sirs... HBM can throw textures in and out of the GPU so fast it doesn't even matter it doesn't have a large frame buffer.

This similarly is why memory overclocking on the 970 massively reduces VRAM bottlenecks with increases resolution. (and indeed for all maxwell cards with their relatively narrow bus width).

HBM has big latency issues. High bandwidth? Yes. Low latency? No. And getting data from system RAM into the GPU still takes a lot of time.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

The problem is that the fury x doesn't overclock as well as (similarly priced) non reference 980tis, and as you can see in the graph that can make a significant difference.

The Fury X only has 4GB of vram tho. That's the problem. 

not really, you're still going to run out of gpu horsepower before you'll need the extra vram. The problem is only actually there if you are using two or more in crossfire (at which poit you really should be using furys instead)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Is this really news? Nobody that owns a Maxwell card is going to leave it at stock clock speeds unless they like throwing money away. What makes Maxwell great, is the insane overclocking headroom it has. Yes people, even the reference coolers that you despise so much, can OC quite a bit. Those 83C temps you see in reviews are on stock fan curves. If you don't mind the sound of jet engines, then crank it to 100 and throw 1350-1400mhz at it for free performance. 

That being said, most non-reference cards are only $20 more anyways, and the 980 Ti has been on sale for $630 quite often, so it is still similarly priced to the Fury X. They both trade blows in performance, but its not some recent miracle. Comparing stock 980 Ti to Fury X, yeah, that result was already to be expected.

No tech geek would not overclock a maxwell card. Sadly many tech-illiterate aren't gonna touch that.

Why wasn't anyone reporting that until now, instead of trying to mislead the comparison at launch?

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

The problem is that the fury x doesn't overclock as well as (similarly priced) non reference 980tis, and as you can see in the graph that can make a significant difference.

not really, you're still going to run out of gpu horsepower before you'll need the extra vram. The problem is only actually there if you are using two or more in crossfire (at which poit you really should be using furys instead)

Not true AT ALL. Take for example GTA V, or Shadow of Mordor, or modded Skyrim. They will all use 4GB or more at 1440p. 

All I see it it has barely improved and reached 980ti at stock. It still doesn't overclock though.

980 ti lightning benches perfectly highlight how far ahead 980 ti is in real life.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

It's not faster. The Fury X is on a water cooler, and it's still behind a 980 Ti with an aftermarket air cooler.

Does not matter. At the same price point, the Fury X would be faster than the 980ti. Doesn't matter if one is water cooled or air cooled. Same price point, better performance out of the box.

Does not matter. At the same price point, the Fury X would be faster than the 980ti. Doesn't matter if one is water cooled or air cooled. Same price point, better performance out of the box.

It does matter. But k.

Is this really news? Nobody that owns a Maxwell card is going to leave it at stock clock speeds unless they like throwing money away. What makes Maxwell great, is the insane overclocking headroom it has. Yes people, even the reference coolers that you despise so much, can OC quite a bit. Those 83C temps you see in reviews are on stock fan curves. If you don't mind the sound of jet engines, then crank it to 100 and throw 1350-1400mhz at it for free performance. 

That being said, most non-reference cards are only $20 more anyways, and the 980 Ti has been on sale for $630 quite often, so it is still similarly priced to the Fury X. They both trade blows in performance, but its not some recent miracle. Comparing stock 980 Ti to Fury X, yeah, that result was already to be expected.

true enough...

then again, NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO, OR DO OC THEIR CARDS. THEREFORE COMPARING OC TO OC OR STOCK TO OC IS POINTLESS

true enough...

then again, NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO, OR DO OC THEIR CARDS. THEREFORE COMPARING OC TO OC OR STOCK TO OC IS POINTLESS

Pointless for those select people. Having the other data for us enthusiasts would still be great.

But it's known that for 1080p, 4gb is recommended and 3gb the minimum.

For 4k, 4gb really isn't enough and 6gb is ideal and having even more doesn't hurt. Optimizations can only really help so much and will inhibit higher resolution textures from improving the overall iq that you see. 

im pretty sure most 1080P Cards like the 380 or 960 2gb variants run games Almost identical to there 4gb versions its not a big deal at all but in the future if you were to SLI or CF and the card could utilize the extra ram it comes in handy but 4k Loves it some High bandwidth memory as seen on why a lot of amd cards loose at 1080 and come close at 1440 then win at 4k ( by a small amount)  in the past like with 290/390 and the 970. as of right now 4GB is fine for 4k and 1440 but not sure how long that will last and if you wanted 2 fury x's 4GB could start to be on the too low side  its not like one card can do Ultra Everything taxing all that ram 

im pretty sure most 1080P Cards like the 380 or 960 2gb variants run games Almost identical to there 4gb versions its not a big deal at all but in the future if you were to SLI or CF and the card could utilize the extra ram it comes in handy but 4k Loves it some High bandwidth memory as seen on why a lot of amd cards loose at 1080 and come close at 1440 then win at 4k ( by a small amount)  in the past like with 290/390 and the 970. as of right now 4GB is fine for 4k and 1440 but not sure how long that will last and if you wanted 2 fury x's 4GB could start to be on the too low side  its not like one card can do Ultra Everything taxing all that ram 

And a small memory overclock on Maxwell basically solves that.

true enough...

The people that do not want to OC, even when buying Maxwell cards, tend to always buy factory overclocked cards at the very least. Though, you are right. Not everyone wants to OC, or can, for that matter. Some people simply do not know how to, or are afraid of voiding warranties. I get that, and those people are fine in not doing so. I am only pointing out that comparing a stock 980 Ti to a stock Fury X is silly. The Fury X is already fine-tuned before they hit the market. They run amazing outside of the box, and require no effort to make them perform amazingly. The GTX 980 Ti also performs amazingly out of the box in all flavors (reference and non-reference). However, if you want the most performance per dollar out of Maxwell, you have to OC. Otherwise, you are better off getting the Fury X anyways.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

All I see it it has barely improved and reached 980ti at stock. It still doesn't overclock though.

980 ti lightning benches perfectly highlight how far ahead 980 ti is in real life.

Fury X at stock reaches 980 Ti at stock?

What a fucking shocker!

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

true enough...

If you buy a 600+USD card, and do not overclock I consider it money thrown away.  Especially considering you can get great clocks on Maxwell, with no voltage increases (Because it won't do anything with voltage increases :^) )

And a small memory overclock on Maxwell basically solves that.

And you can add a memory overclock to AMD Cards maybe not the Fury so much i dont honestly know about HBM overclocking but thats why the overclocking is kind of a Bleh point you can overclock both and also your not guaranteed too be able to overclock it far ive had some shitty overclockers and some good ones on both AMD and Nividia side. So if one card looses at stock speeds  and you overclock it and it wins you can just overclock the other card aswell and it will most likey still win as it doesnt even need to overclock as much as the other since its starting FPS is higher already. only time this matters IMO is price if X card can overclock around stock speeds of Y card but is $50 bucks cheaper then yeah that makes a lot of sense