Thoughts on Noctua NH-D15?

Pooherino ツ

Just ordered it on amazon. It was said to be good by a lot of people, and Linus review of it was good too. But idk, does anyone own it? let me know what u think about it.

Great cooler, but their fans are a bit overpriced for what they are and look awful. :/ Other than the ugly fans on it, you should be happy with it, the mounting hardware it comes with is easy to use and put together.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Its great but I would try to get the newer one that is offset for better compatibility.

Just ordered it on amazon. It was said to be good by a lot of people, and Linus review of it was good too. But idk, does anyone own it? let me know what u think about it.

at that price point water cooling is a better option less bulky and better looking

Great cooler, but their fans are a bit overpriced for what they are and look awful. :/ Other than the ugly fans on it, you should be happy with it, the mounting hardware it comes with is easy to use and put together.

You take that back those fans are beautiful! >_<

You take that back those fans are beautiful! >_<

They aren't a color that can fit in with most builds though. I want to replace the ones on mine with something from Phanteks or some Fractal GP12s then put them on the evo in my other rig without a windowed side panel.

NYvCUcV.jpg

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

at that price point water cooling is a better option less bulky and better looking

Noise wise itll be quieter. Also there is always the reliability of the the cooler. I for one have had pumps go out.

got to love shit brown fans

What color is your poop, might want to get checked out. :P

They aren't a color that can fit in with most builds though. I want to replace the ones on mine with something from Phanteks or some Fractal GP12s then put them on the evo in my other rig without a windowed side panel.

NYvCUcV.jpg

replace all the other fans with noctua's and it would match ;)

At that price point, water cooling is either louder and/or worse performing. 

The NH-D15 is the current king of air coolers. My only gripe with it is that they didn't make it bigger and forgo the ram cutouts.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Mmm

I personally prefer the original brown and beige colors and would love to get brown/beige LTT edition fans.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I personally prefer the original brown and beige colors and would love to get brown/beige LTT edition fans.

then they would not be LTT edition fans...

they would just be noctua fans with an ltt sticker on them...

the only difference between the regular noctua fans and the LTT edition is the orange accent colours, thats all

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

CQIhL3kUYAAVjjs.jpg

Mmm

So basically the industrial fins minus all the nice things about them? I mean ill probably still buy one or two but I was hoping they would do a bit more than change the color.

Confused cause wouldnt that just be a normal Noctua?

the only difference between the regular noctua fans and the LTT edition is the orange accent colours, thats all

Well they are black too which is kinda the big thing here.

what??

they are the same thing as the regular noctua fans just with orange instead of brown corners and mounts...

the black is the same on both fans, ltt edition or not

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

what??

they are the same thing as the regular noctua fans just with orange instead of brown corners and mounts...

the black is the same on both fans, ltt edition or not

No No No

That is a NF-F12 PWM made black not a NF-F12 Industrial 2000rpm PWM with orange grommets. There are huge differences in these fans including price. Linus went with the former.

Black Noctua mean industrial which also means "Fibre-glass reinforced polyamide construction" which the LTT fans will not have.

No No No

That is a NF-F12 PWM made black not a NF-F12 Industrial 2000rpm PWM. There are huge differences in these fans including price. Linus went with the former.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/381948-ltt-fans-x106/

watch the video

its not the normal brown NF-F12

its an industrial iPPC NF-F12

Spoiler

watch the video

Youd be incorrect there check out this tweet https://goo.gl/C5uJIP Ive had a lengthy conversation with him about the fans a couple time.

Also even Luke says in the video "this isnt exactly what it will look like ... this is and industrial fan..."

https://youtu.be/CY5CZHsiwe8?t=1m

I have the NH-D15 and it destroyes the H100i that I had before, both in noise and performance. look at this review, even the NH-D14 is right on par with the H100i while making way less noise. I never understood why people recommend the corsair AIOs when they are loud as hell.

http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15/8

Same difference--the black Noctuas with rubber corners and LTT editions only differ due to stickers.

So basically the industrial fins minus all the nice things about them? I mean ill probably still buy one or two but I was hoping they would do a bit more than change the color.

Confused cause wouldnt that just be a normal Noctua?

The big thing is that they're LTT themed--that's it. That being said, they're still Noctuas.

watch the video

It's a black NF-F12 but not an iPPC fan. The iPPC fans are built differently and are more robust than normal brown/beige Noctua fans. 

Rather overpriced, but one of the best ones you can get if you absolutely refuse to watercool.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I have the NH-D15 and it destroyes the H100i that I had before, both in noise and performance. look at this review, even the NH-D14 is right on par with the H100i while making way less noise. I never understood why people recommend the corsair AIOs when they are loud as hell.

http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15/8

H100i is one of the worst 240 aio's on the market. There is a reason they came out with the h100i gtx. (Which still is overpriced and comes with shitty fans).

Depending on fans used and case dynamics (obviously aio's give much less shits about all other case waste heat say using a high heat gpu) a 240mm aio is on par with a nh-d15 and noise is defined by fans chosen.

Outside of the worst 280/360 rads (again h110 is really poor) they outperform the nh-d15 and when a temp target defines fan speeds it is often if not always quieter than the nh-d15 (due to the better cooling with fan scaling but then again obviously is more expensive).

The single biggest reason to go with an aio though isn't cpu temps but rather the temps of everything else in your case.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS