ISP Announces It's Blocking All Facebook And Google Ads Until Companies Pay A Troll Toll

jos

Caribbean and South Pacific ISP Digicel has started blocking Google and Facebook ads from appearing on the company's mobile network in the apparent belief that the service provider is owed a slice of these companies' ad revenues. In a notice posted to the Digicel website:

"(Digicel is) deploying ad control technology at the network level on its networks across the globe to ensure a better experience for customers and to encourage the likes of Google, Facebook and Yahoo to help connect the 4.2 billion unconnected people across the globe. Ad control technology benefits both consumers and network operators alike. With ads using up as much as 10% of a customers’ data plan allowance, this move will allow customers to browse the mobile web and apps without interruption from unwanted advertising messages."

Of course, the notice then proceeds to make it clear what this is really about. And that's Digicel and billionaire owner Denis O'Brien's belief that they are owed a cut of content company ad revenue simply because content company traffic touches their network:

"Companies like Google, Yahoo and Facebook talk a great game and take a lot of credit when it comes to pushing the idea of broadband for all – but they put no money in. Instead they unashamedly trade off the efforts and investments of network operators like Digicel to make money for themselves. That’s unacceptable, and we as a network operator, are taking a stand against them to force them to put their hands in their pockets and play a real role in improving the opportunities for economic empowerment for the global population.”"

This is stupid and is against net neutrality.. These ISP has only one thing in mind make money screw others..Just launch google fiber..

"Oh look we can make money over there.. Lets do it."

I hope Google and Facebook just find a way to block themselves from those ISP's networks. Let the customers speak what they think about this thing.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

+1 for use of "troll toll"

and yeah, they are screwing over those companies, but Google and FaceBook ads are especially anoying, and its not like either company needs more $ from ads

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

+1 for use of "troll toll"

and yeah, they are screwing over those companies, but Google and FaceBook ads are especially anoying, and its not like either company needs more $ from ads

I earn money from those ads! wtf!

basically an isp from another country wants a cut from my earnings? after google already takes like half?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

inb4 lawsuit

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

-never mind previous post-

Are they allowed to do this? I mean it's not that much different from ad blocking which, as far as I know is perfectly legal. But then again, ISPs and consumers do not follow the exact same laws and regulations.

"Oh look we can make money over there.. Lets do it."

I hope Google and Facebook just find a way to block themselves from those ISP's networks. Let the customers speak what they think about this thing.

lol google facebook could screw them so hard, and just block all their ips from accessing google and fb

Troll toll you say?

maxresdefault.jpg

To get into the boy's hole?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

I feel that this would be okay, if the money to be paid to the ISP's were returned to the customers. After all, it's their data caps that will suffer from loading the ads that no one clicks on.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I guess if ad sense detects less than legal search terms....

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

I earn money from those ads! wtf!

basically an isp from another country wants a cut from my earnings? after google already takes like half?

wait until google delivers its first car.  it will self drive you to the highest paid advertiser in your city.

Fun fact, this was kind of suggested by Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn to the UN. Except they wanted the ISPs to shut down if they didn't block trolls.

Yes, the idiots got invited to the UN to talk about future legislation regarding the Internet.

Here is the actual article the UN published regarding it. It calls Anita Sarkeesian a "survivor of cyber violence".

Here is the document.

By the way, the sources listed makes me cry by laughter and by disappointment. Here is a summary.

Wanna know how bad it is? A lot of their sources are just blank (as in, there is no source to their claims whatsoever. No link or book or anything) and if that wasn't hilarious enough, one of their sources is literally their C: drive. I am not making that up. On page 57 in the PDF (page number 51 in the document) their source for something is listed as:

Oh, and some of the sites they are getting their "facts" from are sites that call Pokemon "the killing game designed for toddlers", and it calls Dungeons and Dragons "the medieval satanic and magic fantasy game".

Kind of off-topic but fairly related.

I know it's kind of a sport on this forum to talk about how much you hate Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian at completely irrelevant times, regardless of how much it derails the thread at hand but go on. Do tell me what the ever-loving fuck this has to do with an ISP thinking that they are entitled to Google and Facebook's ad revenue.

Fun fact, this was kind of suggested by Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn to the UN. Except they wanted the ISPs to shut down if they didn't block trolls.

Yes, the idiots got invited to the UN to talk about future legislation regarding the Internet.

Here is the actual article the UN published regarding it. It calls Anita Sarkeesian a "survivor of cyber violence".

Here is the document.

By the way, the sources listed makes me cry by laughter and by disappointment. Here is a summary.

Wanna know how bad it is? A lot of their sources are just blank (as in, there is no source to their claims whatsoever. No link or book or anything) and if that wasn't hilarious enough, one of their sources is literally their C: drive. I am not making that up. On page 57 in the PDF (page number 51 in the document) their source for something is listed as:

Oh, and some of the sites they are getting their "facts" from are sites that call Pokemon "the killing game designed for toddlers", and it calls Dungeons and Dragons "the medieval satanic and magic fantasy game".

Kind of off-topic but fairly related.

Cyber... violence? Has the definition of violence changed recently? I thought violence implied physical force. Oh well. If the UN wants to take two extremist women, and make rules based off of their opinions, then they can be held accountable for the inevitable backlash they are going to receive by trying to further police the internet. I swear. The more i hear about this cyber "bullying" crap, the more frustrated i get. Turn your computers off if you cannot take criticism. If someone calls you a mean name on the internet, walk away from it. The difference between a cyber "bully" and a real life bully, is that the real life bully can physically harm you, most often in places you have to go to. You do not have to use the internet. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I know it's kind of a sport on this forum to talk about how much you hate Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian at completely irrelevant times, regardless of how much it derails the thread at hand but go on. Do tell me what the ever-loving fuck this has to do with an ISP thinking that they are entitled to Google and Facebook's ad revenue.

Yeah sorry, I misunderstood the article. I thought they wanted Google/Facebook/whatever for their users trolling. Not that it was the ISP "trolling" by wanting to get paid.

Should have read the source more carefully.

Could have done this quietly... Then they'd save bandwidth by not carrying ads, customers are unlikely to complain about their missing ads, and Google and Facebook would have no idea their ads weren't being delivered. Instead, they disclose everything publicly, and suggest that Google should pay them for transporting ads, which obviously isn't going to happen.

Yea... The part about just wanting a cut is pretty lame but the overall idea is quite sound. Regardless of content creators complaints when large scale deployments have seen overall network traffic decrease by as much as 50% due simply to a instream adblocker... Huston, We have a problem.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS