Google Photos helps prove man’s innocence after assault by police.

Arty

GooglePrism10.jpg

There’s many arguments for automatically backing up your photos and videos to the cloud but most of these are around being able to access them from wherever you are. Just occasionally, the auto backup feature in most services proves to have real world benefits and as a man from Toronto found out, your smartphone can save you a lot of bother.

According to the Toronto Star, which is Canada‘s largest daily newspaper, Abdi Sheik Qasim was arrested by Toronto police for reportedly assaulting a police officer following an exchange at his uncle’s house in January 2014. After the constables established that Qasim was not wanted on any warrants, they refused to leave and instead insisted on entering the apartment. Qasim then took out his phone to record the transaction but Constable Dhaliwal knocked his phone out of his hand.

Qasim was then arrested and charged for assaulting a police officer and failing to comply with a court order and once hauled to the police station, his phone went missing. After being released pending an appearance in court, Qasim still didn’t have his phone but upon his return to his home, he found that Google Photos had automatically backed up the ten second video.

In court, both officers said that Qasim has initiated the hostility by attempting to reach for an officer’s utility belt but upon viewing the video, Ontario Court Justice Edward Kelly cleared Sheik-Qasim of both charges.

Officer Dhaliwal’s swing of his arm and hand was the very first physical force during the interaction. The accused didn’t grab a hold of the belt of Officer Gul in advance of this action by Officer Dhaliwal. I believe that Officer Dhaliwal’s action amounted to an assault against the accused.”

So there you go guys – just sometimes, your smartphone can save you a lot of headache. As for Google and Google Photos, this kind of publicity can only be a good thing! Do you back up your phone automatically? If so, do you use Google Photos or another service? Let us know your views in the comments below guys and for the whole story, head to the link below.

Heres whats important

After the constables established that Qasim was not wanted on any warrants, they refused to leave and instead insisted on entering the apartment. Qasim then took out his phone to record the transaction but Constable Dhaliwal knocked his phone out of his hand.

After the constables established that Qasim was not wanted on any warrants, they refused to leave and instead insisted on entering the apartment. Qasim then took out his phone to record the transaction but Constable Dhaliwal knocked his phone out of his hand.

Thank you Google:

Skynet_logo.jpg

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/09/25/google-photos-helps-prove-mans-innocence-after-assault-by-police/

ON android i assume it uploads without the app open so this is how it worked

won't work (as well) on ios since app has to be open.

I <3 google

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I hope the copper gets prosecuted then. 

suspended with pay till the news dies down then he will be back out.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Wow, not sure how to feel about the fact that I was shocked this news wasn't out of the U.S.  Should I be glad it wasn't us?  Or scared that others are more publicly joining the club?

(I am aware that other police around the world are just as bad/worse/better)

[sarcasm] I'm so happy that I'm basically living in a police state! [/sarcasm]

Seriously how is this acceptable behavior for the police? Why are they basically untouchable unless you provide evidence the evidence of their abuse of power.

This is actually a main reason for using Google Photos. I don't ever seeing myself getting in trouble like this, but it doesn't hurt to be a little safer.

edit: Not against cops specifically, but against anyone who might try to destroy my phone to cover something up.

This is actually a main reason for using Google Photos. I don't ever seeing myself getting in trouble like this, but it doesn't hurt to be a little safer.

edit: Not against cops specifically, but against anyone who might try to destroy my phone to cover something up.

i use google photos as a backup.

and photos i take on my phone, generally aren't personall enough to worry me that google has them.

Sadly, this is what happens with government officials and employees who get caught doing shit they shouldn't be doing.

Can always delay things until the public moves on.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Still no source for the article.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

are you being literal? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

maybe...

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

The worst part about that statement is the fact that it is probably the truth as to what will happen. 

Still no source for the article.

fixed