Chinese operating system the government wants to replace Windows

jos

neokylin-neoshineicons.jpg

China announced plans to build its own OS more than a year ago, to replace Windows. And just recently, a sneak peek of the operating system, which is named "NeoKylin," has surfaced. OS is based on Fedora, another Linux-based OS. The majority of the UI is XP-inspired, from the taskbar, programs, functions, buttons, down to the Start menu. Other items in Microsoft Windows like My Documents, My Computer, Control Panel, and the Recycle Bin are also present. It has built-in programs like Firefox, a music player, image editor GIMP, a few games like Minesweeper, and Solitaire, among many others. NeoKylin has its own version of Microsoft Office, the NeoShine office suite. The software was also created by the same developer of the NeoKylin OS, and is based on the defunct open-source productivity program, OpenOffice. NeoShine features Office's three basic programs, a word processor, a spreadsheet application, and a slideshow presentation program. The act of installing third-party apps was reportedly being blocked by NeoKylin.

Source: http://qz.com/505383/a-first-look-at-the-chinese-operating-system-the-government-wants-to-replace-windows/

The OS looks exactly like windows XP.. But here the key fact is all new computers that is sold in china will come with this..now it is said 40% computer.. imagine if all come like this... but y? software installation is blocked....i cannot get the logic...is this chinas answer to backdoors?

@_ASSASSIN_ are you working with the Chinese government?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I just puked a little bit in my mouth.

I HATE WINDOWS XP

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

"It looks exactly like windows XP" was what I Immediately thought as well.

Why does China want isolate itself so much (with clones of western things oddly enough)?

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"The act of installing third-party apps was reportedly being blocked by NeoKylin" well that sucks...

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Why are you talking about StartOS (Ylmf OS)?

Fuck is this another Chinese XP Clone?

pretty sure one of the windows clones is russian...

I thought Ubuntu Kylin was the one to replace Windows.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

"XP Inspired" my ass. It's a straight up XP clone going by just the looks.

Chinese like to call it "reverse engineering". They are damn proud of it. Just look at how many knock off, fake junks they make, haha. :lol:

pretty sure one of the windows clones is russian...

Start OS is Chinese and Ylmf OS is its old name!

Start OS is Chinese and Ylmf OS is its old name!

theres also "reactOS" which off the top of my head is made by russian devs, and means to "rewrite" windows.

theres also "reactOS" which off the top of my head is made by russian devs, and means to "rewrite" windows.

That isn't Linux, it has a custom kernel!

I have used that before.

Very Shit!!!

"It looks exactly like windows XP" was what I Immediately thought as well.

Why does China want isolate itself so much (with clones of western things oddly enough)?

They have to clone "western" stuff, its the only things that work and are modern.  They can't figure out how to make their own within their ideals, so they have to take the closest working thing they can and then try to make it fit with their goals.  They are just too far behind technologically to waste time building it from scratch, especially when they can just "steal" a working one and modify it.

I find it great, XP is the best OS I ever used and afaik it is the most popular in asia. 

Now that's someone that could make Linux 100% mainstream success: Let's take the guys who already manufacture all of the fucking hardware anyway and have em work on drivers and shit. Instant driver support and millions upon millions of adopters.

-------

Current Rig

-------

O.o

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |