Can you have too much PC knowledge?

App4that

I've been on this forum for a bit now, and I have noticed something. There tends to be a lot of over correcting when it comes to the choosing and operating of PC components. Even putting brand loyalty aside there tends to be stern words used for not getting what is considered the best option by some members of the community. There are cases where someone new to PC building could make a decision on a component that could cause serious issues and in those cases I agree that fast action is called for. My question is when does protecting the interests of the person asking for advise get replaced by an agenda? Is .002(insert unit of measure) really that big a deal? If we all had the same rig how boring would that be?

From my observations with infinite amounts of information on each component from both private and professional reviews, comes infinite debate. Would we be better off just getting what feeds our consumerism happy with confirmation bias? Is ignorance truly bliss?

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Yes. You can have too much knowledge. or at least an addiction. Look at my post count, then join date. Dammit linus, your forum is eating my life!

Well, we would like people to not make the same mistakes that we one did (Looking at myself, crappy h-97 mobo and a 4790k :P) yet i agree that there could be better takes on this issue

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

The only thing that I noticed people here on this forum having is a huge bias towards gaming. If a person is asking for workstation they tell him to downgrade from i7 5930K to i5 4690K because you don't need more for gaming, like everyone in this forum is only using their computer to play games...

Yes. You can have too much knowledge. or at least an addiction. Look at my post count, then join date. Dammit linus, your forum is eating my life!

F* U, i just don't post much :P

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

No, more information the better, take psu's for example a lower cost one might just be a cut down version of a great one but, both could work just fine, also this field is constantly changing. I will admit you don't need to know much to get mostly good parts and be happy. Knowledge is power.

I know right! I think I have as much time here as I do In Mechwarrior xD

No, more information the better, take psu's for example a lower cost one might just be a cut down version of a great one but, both could work just fine, also this field is constantly changing. I will admit you don't need to know much to get mostly good parts and be happy. Knowledge is power.

That debate which I hope to avoid is exactly the one that spurred this topic. If it does it's job is it really that big a deal? Sure the company that produces the best product should be rewarded, but I haven't seen that to be easy to track as most company's quality depends on which model you buy. So companies that might have a great high end product get backing even though their low end models suffer, and vise versa.

The only thing that I noticed people here on this forum having is a huge bias towards gaming. If a person is asking for workstation they tell him to downgrade from i7 5930K to i5 4690K because you don't need more for gaming, like everyone in this forum is only using their computer to play games...

Well a 5930k is useless when the 5820k exists. For workstation or gaming.

Anyways @ OP, indeed you can, but the point is that we give you the "optimized price builds" you still have the choice to buy a different component, and if anyone wants something in particular (like color scheme or design setup) almost everyone on this forum is happy to oblige.

I don't think we have a 'always suggesting the same look' problem.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

You can THINK you know too much.

There's a thickly-defined DMZ between being knowledgeable and wise, and being a smart-ass know-it-all. it's just a shame that some people on this forum seem to have rockets strapped to their backs, zooming back and forth between the two.

Well a 5930k is useless when the 5820k exists. For workstation or gaming..

How so if you need the pci-e lanes for say storage, a red rocket, and 2 gpus. 28 lanes is not hard to max out in a workstation.

There's a thickly-defined DMZ between being knowledgeable and wise, and being a smart-ass know-it-all. it's just a shame that some people on this forum seem to have rockets strapped to their backs, zooming back and forth between the two.

It's double tough. How do you share your enjoyment of a product without becoming a salesperson?

How so if you need the pci-e lanes for say storage, a red rocket, and 2 gpus. 28 lanes is not hard to max out in a workstation.

Storage, red rocket, and two gpus doesn't need 28 lanes. Just saying. That's 24 lanes, 28 MAX.

8 per gpu (16 MAKES 0 DIFFERENCE), 4-8 for a red rocket, 4 for storage.

And it would be cheaper to buy a mobo with PLX and a 5820k than a mid range mobo and a 5930k.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Well a 5930k is useless when the 5820k exists. For workstation or gaming.

Yeah, and another thing I forgot to mention. Some people only understand computer language. They have no idea what is an example, sarcasm, etc.

Excellent! This is the exact thing I was observing. Yes helping someone find whats best for them is important, but letting them build THEIR PC is important too. Unless the component will jump off the MOBO and strangle them in their sleep why make a fuss?

There's a thickly-defined DMZ

You a closet network expert?   :P

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Yeah, and another thing I forgot to mention. Some people only understand computer language. They have no idea what is an example, sarcasm, etc.

It was a side comment. I did move on to address the actual point in question.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Storage, red rocket, and two gpus doesn't need 28 lanes. Just saying. That's 24 lanes, 28 MAX.

8 per gpu (16 MAKES 0 DIFFERENCE), 4-8 for a red rocket, 4 for storage.

And it would be cheaper to buy a mobo with PLX and a 5820k than a mid range mobo and a 5930k.

You have to remember Intel would not release the 5930k if there was not a market for it and a good amount of possible situations in which that is the best processor. Also the set up I had in mind was 4 for storage, 8 for 3 gpus, 8 for redrocket so that is 36

While I agree that the 5930k does not make sense in most cases where you need 6 cores, there are cases where it does. 

Excellent! This is the exact thing I was observing. Yes helping someone find whats best for them is important, but letting them build THEIR PC is important too. Unless the component will jump off the MOBO and strangle them in their sleep why make a fuss?

I mean if your mobo goes out and wants to spends 2 grand on a prebuilt when you can build the same comp for 1100 dollars are you just going to say "whatever it's their pc".

I say no. We squeeze every little bit out we can, being as frank as we can in the process, knowing full well that the person on the other end can always choose to ignore our advice for aesthetic or sentimental reasons.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

You have to remember Intel would not release the 5930k if there was not a market for it and a good amount of possible situations in which that is the best processor. Also the set up I had in mind was 4 for storage, 8 for 3 gpus, 8 for redrocket so that is 36

While I agree that the 5930k does not make sense in most cases where you need 6 cores, there are cases where it does.

hehe, couple generations back for me. 3930k master race

You a closet network expert?   :P

No, just that I was about to say "there's a thin line between", but then I realized that there really really isn't. :P

See the last line in my previous comment. I will argue vehemently it NEVER makes sense.

Apple doesn't make many if ANY products (with their US specific pricing) that make sense for a consumer to buy... The fact that there is a market for it or not is completely irrelevant to it's utility.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hT96dC

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TVgvD3

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

That debate which I hope to avoid is exactly the one that spurred this topic. If it does it's job is it really that big a deal? Sure the company that produces the best product should be rewarded, but I haven't seen that to be easy to track as most company's quality depends on which model you buy. So companies that might have a great high end product get backing even though their low end models suffer, and vise versa.

if it works it works. Some of that is marketing with great high end not so on the low end. It all depends on how you feel about the product or how long you will keep it. More psu talk. Corsair cx 600 watt gets alot of hate, some of it for good reason but, it does work and if you know what you're buying its not all bad. That psu vs something like seasonic x or even corsair ax series is cheap junk comparably and if you're going to be at a heavy load with some what high temps 40c or so then i would recommend getting a more expensive psu but, all will work just the same unless you look and scope it and compare ripple and what not. Also if you're going to keep it for 4 plus years spend more. Its all about its use.