Can you have too much PC knowledge?

App4that

I mean if your mobo goes out and wants to spends 2 grand on a prebuilt when you can build the same comp for 1100 dollars are you just going to say "whatever it's their pc".

I say no. We squeeze every little bit out we can, being as frank as we can in the process, knowing full well that the person on the other end can always choose to ignore our advice for aesthetic or sentimental reasons.

I completely agree, if we have knowledge and especially experience that could help it should be shared. It's the splitting of hairs that bothers me. I could build the exact same rig I have using the same parts from different companies and the results would be exactly the same.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I completely agree, if we have knowledge and especially experience that could help it should be shared. It's the splitting of hairs that bothers me. I could build the exact same rig I have using the same parts from different companies and the results would be exactly the same.

Well sure, but I don't see too many people that get butthurt over only recommending specific add-in-card brands of gpus or motherboards (I just refuse to recommend asus for anything when other products do it cheaper, just as well, and massively less hassle if something gets fucked up.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

There is something to be said about the OP post. Too much experience might make you careless with components or at least you will start to loose respect for them.

You might end up doing silly thinks with components like painting high end motherboards blue then after loosing some headsinks end up wrecking another board in order to replace the stuff you lost. You might also fry to motherboards by drilling holes through them or creating custom heat sink components which short the board out (twice)

Spelling mistakes left in.

You might end up doing silly thinks  with compnents like painting high end motherboards blue, loosing  some headsinks and wrecking another board in order to replace the stuff you lost. You might also fry to motherboards by drilling holes through them or creating custom heat sink components which short the board out (twice)

Sounds a bit Linusy.  :P

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I don't think you can have too much legitimate knowledge. However, knowing when and where to apply said knowledge is a different story.

Spreading misinformation is not a good thing. The person who are asking for help are putting their trust in us in providing accurate information, in which they don't deserve getting the wrong information. Even if they were to give a long essay in educating someone, I wouldn't say it's a bad thing, especially if it can increase the quality of post in the forum in the future.

On the other hand, having an elitist attitude where you would recommend only certain products while dismissing everything else is not helpful - even if the reasoning in itself is legitimate to some degree. The reason why I said it isn't helpful is because they are not taking into consideration of the person they are "helping" needs and wants, as well as their region where pricing and availability may greatly different than their own. It sometime get to the point where they would try to put you down for even thinking about something else other than what they had put on a pesdestal.

Yes. Because I know how low used PC part prices go I have issues buying anything because I am always afraid of the next thing coming out and prices going down as they do.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Well, at least you shouldn't try to delid a Core 2 duo E6300 :D I was nine years old xD

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

I don't think you can have too much legitimate knowledge. However, knowing when and where to apply said knowledge is a different story.

Spreading misinformation is not a good thing. The person who are help are putting their trust in us in providing accurate information, in which they don't deserve getting the wrong information. Even if they were to give a long essay in educating something, I wouldn't say it's a bad thing, especially if it can increase the quality of post in the forum in the future.

On the other hand, having an elitist attitude where you would recommend only certain products while dismissing everything else is not helpful - even if the reasoning in itself is legitimate to some degree. The reason why I said it isn't helpful is because they are not taking into consideration of the person's they are "helping" needs and wants. as well as their region where pricing and availability may greatly different than their own. It sometime get to the point where they would try to put you down for even thinking about something else other than what they had put on a pesdestal.

Very well said. I have seen so many good products misrepresented and witch hunts performed on them because one person who does reviews said something negative. I run a Scandisk Ultra II, it's not the best SSD by a long shot but also not the worst. So saying it's a bad idea to use it as a boot drive should carry the responsibility of evidence to support the claim in my opinion, not just anecdotes.

Of course not, more information = more better.

But of course it's not helpful to know "GPU A performs better than GPU B". It's better to know the specific such as "GPU A performs better in Game Y, but GPU B performs better in Game X, but only on 1440p or higher" and stuff like that.

Not everyone will benefit from the same components.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Price to performance ratios vary from country to country. It is therefore almost impossible to have a single go-to component for everyone under all circumstances.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Price to performance ratios vary from country to country. It is therefore almost impossible to have a single go-to component for everyone under all circumstances.

EXACTLY!

EXACTLY!

...then what is your point? having more knowledge means we can make those distinctions

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

...then what is your point? having more knowledge means we can make those distinctions

I rarely see them made though, the usual response is quite different. The pricing knowledge stays local and the component knowledge goes global. A R9 380 is not cost effective in every region, but it's a good GPU in every region. So I guess my point is that the PC knowledge should be balance with the knowledge of regional pricing.

having too much knowledge is usually not a big problem, tough many people (me including :( ) think they know a lot about stuff while that knowledge is actaully based upon opinions and some experience instead of the facts it should be based upon. wich leads to heaps and heaps of false advice and misinformation!

now when i think about it, it's actually a reason to learn more about the subjects you want to learn about, to prevent this from happening!

Take this scenario. Bob buys a Matcatz mouse, Bob loves the Madcatz mouse. Bob goes to a lan party and gets ripped to shreds for having a Madcatz mouse. If Bob was happy with the mouse is it an improvement to educate Bob? Not making a statement about Madcatz, almost got a Ratz myself until I held the G502. Which almost every reviewer says they don't like the scroll wheel and I've never had a problem.

Take this scenario. Bob buys a Matcatz mouse, Bob loves the Madcatz mouse. Bob goes to a lan party and gets ripped to shreds for having a Madcatz mouse. If Bob was happy with the mouse is it an improvement to educate Bob? Not making a statement about Madcatz, almost got a Ratz myself until I held the G502. Which almost every reviewer says they don't like the scroll wheel and I've never had a problem.

Well I understand that for sure seeing as I would swear night and day by my Naga (EWWWWW RAZEERRR), but in fairness I wouldn't pay market price for it ever (I got it for 40 USD on black friday).

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

There is something to be said about the OP post. Too much experience might make you careless with components or at least you will start to loose respect for them.

You might end up doing silly thinks with components like painting high end motherboards blue then after loosing some headsinks end up wrecking another board in order to replace the stuff you lost. You might also fry to motherboards by drilling holes through them or creating custom heat sink components which short the board out (twice)

Is this something Linus did?

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

Is this something Linus did?

Yes, apart from drilling holes in the motherboard that was Jayztwocents.

If you handle high end components day after day (especially when you get them for free) you start not to care as much. Awesomesource Network made an X99 test bench and left it next to an door so that the coolant loop of the watercooler was ripped off fatally damaging the motherboard and CPU. If you mave your own money invested in a PC you would be much more conservative with the parts. Too much experience can lead to carelessness as you think that you know it all, I mean Jay did not even check that the MB did not have traces near the site he was drilling before he drilled. He wasted the board and was lucky that the Processor, Ram and GPU survived

Time code 10:43 on the Jay video

trying to find a mouse myself. but most forum suggestions seems to be fanboy opinions.  the g502 didnt fit my hand right.

im new to this forum and i assumed it was full of all profession youtube content creators focusing on pc tech and modding.  everything the say is the truth. right? its on the internet!!! right? must be.

The only way to find a mouse that you are gonna like to to try some out. Go to your local shop and try some of them and see how they feel. Of course everyone on the internet is gonna recoment something based on their preferences, they have it so they can tell you what they have.

For example, I got the logitech G500s, since you cant find any I cant really recommend it. I tried the 502 and like you, It doesn't fit. I really hope my mouse doesn't die, since I cant buy a replacement. I tried some out at Canada Computers (I live near one) and round a couple of them that are nice.

It's pretty much the best recommendation, go try some out.

Main Rig : 5600X, NH-U14s, MSI B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI RTX 3070

Server : i7-7700k, Hyper 212 RGB, ASUS Prime z270, 16GB DDR4 2133, MSI GTX 1070

I've been on this forum for a bit now, and I have noticed something. There tends to be a lot of over correcting when it comes to the choosing and operating of PC components. Even putting brand loyalty aside there tends to be stern words used for not getting what is considered the best option by some members of the community. There are cases where someone new to PC building could make a decision on a component that could cause serious issues and in those cases I agree that fast action is called for. My question is when does protecting the interests of the person asking for advise get replaced by an agenda? Is .002(insert unit of measure) really that big a deal? If we all had the same rig how boring would that be?

From my observations with infinite amounts of information on each component from both private and professional reviews, comes infinite debate. Would we be better off just getting what feeds our consumerism happy with confirmation bias? Is ignorance truly bliss?

IMHO, I don't think it's a matter of having too much knowledge, but that some people are simply WAY too picky and overly analytical with regards to the components people choose.

I think it's best to guide people in the right direction, perhaps to a "range" of parts that would best suit their needs and budget and let them have the final decision on which parts they choose in the end. Nothing wrong with making recommendations, as long as you understand that in the end it boils down to personal preference which varies among everyone. There is no set group of parts that is best suited for everyone. ;)

It's also a matter of attitude. Instead of saying "Oh you went with part xyz, that's stupid. You should have gone with part abc." why not say, "hey, I see you went with part xyz. Just out of curiosity, what made you decide to go that route?". See the difference? Instead of being an arrogant snob about it, simply ask why they chose those parts. More often than not, when I inquire into someone's build, they have legitimate reasons as to why they chose those parts for their own unique circumstances.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

The only way to find a mouse that you are gonna like to to try some out. Go to your local shop and try some of them and see how they feel. Of course everyone on the internet is gonna recoment something based on their preferences, they have it so they can tell you what they have.

For example, I got the logitech G500s, since you cant find any I cant really recommend it. I tried the 502 and like you, It doesn't fit. I really hope my mouse doesn't die, since I cant buy a replacement. I tried some out at Canada Computers (I live near one) and round a couple of them that are nice.

It's pretty much the best recommendation, go try some out.

i tried going to local shops (best buy and frys) but seems they have lowered pc stuff.  and the stuff they carry seems to all razor.  not a fan.  same with the keyboards and screens which i am cuurently looking to replace. funny story with best buy, i had to convince a best buy supervisor to plug in a lg 29in ultrawide so i can see its quality.  he said they didnt have a hdmi adapter in the building they could use.  ???? what you are an electronic store!  so a couple more minutes of convincing i had him swap out monitors with a display pc.  how hard is that?

i tried going to local shops (best buy and frys) but seems they have lowered pc stuff.  and the stuff they carry seems to all razor.  not a fan.  same with the keyboards and screens which i am cuurently looking to replace. funny story with best buy, i had to convince a best buy supervisor to plug in a lg 29in ultrawide so i can see its quality.  he said they didnt have a hdmi adapter in the building they could use.  ???? what you are an electronic store!  so a couple more minutes of convincing i had him swap out monitors with a display pc.  how hard is that?

Sorry to hear that, hopefully you find something you like. Order online and try it out, return it if you are not satisfied. You may be able to do so depending on where you live and where you order from.

Main Rig : 5600X, NH-U14s, MSI B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI RTX 3070

Server : i7-7700k, Hyper 212 RGB, ASUS Prime z270, 16GB DDR4 2133, MSI GTX 1070

Sorry to hear that, hopefully you find something you like. Order online and try it out, return it if you are not satisfied. You may be able to do so depending on where you live and where you order from.

yea but that cost money in returns

I wouldnt say you could have TOO MUCH knowledge , after all knowing your subject is great , right ?

But I feel like everyone should make their own mistakes and learn through experience.

PCs are truly costumisable platforms, and it's great to feel like you have a great setup and knowing it .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case