whats going on with nvidia and luke

pagani123

The point that some people are missing is the above. There was no mention of a gift or it having already been bought. That's why the comments of price to performance etc.

If you'd disclosed this info right at the start (something a truck ton of people need to learn to do) then the tone of conversation would have been vastly different I'm sure.

If it's a gift then there's really no point to the thread at all. It's a top of the line GPU now, be happy.

i didn't know that i would get so much shit for saying i got a titan i did not think it mattered that it was a gift. and i was just curious what is going on if there are any roumers because i havent heard anything and it would be a sunrise if they released pascal next week say

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

2 and a half years ago 1080p was the standard and still is today...that said i game on a 1440p 144hz Gsync display with my GTX780 perfectly fine and this card is around 10% slower than a vanilla titan ;)

no doubt the Titan X was not worth it though...the 980ti with it's 6GB of VRAM is plenty for a while.

i have 6gb of vram on my 780 and i would have asked for another 780 for my birthday for sli but considering i cant find the same card anywhere else and the most recent ebay auction got up to $600 for it (it was well used as well) i decided just to ask for a 980ti kingpin or one of the higher end 980ti but my dad got me a titan x in staid the only downside is he got it when it was back ordered so he bought about a month ago and its shipping to me next week.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

So you guys buying Titan X's or SLI 980TI's - you guys work on Wall Street or something?

my mother works on wall street and my father works as one of the higher ups at a pharmaceutical company 

I'd bet you anything it's a vr demo.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

So you guys buying Titan X's or SLI 980TI's - you guys work on Wall Street or something?

Or we prioritize computer hardware over other things. Like a new car etc. 3k sounds like a lot of money, and it is but you spend so much over the course of a year, it's relatively easy to make up the difference.

Like buying lunch every day at work (250 work days a year 5x50 10 dollars a meal that's 2.5k.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

i have 6gb of vram on my 780 and i would have asked for another 780 for my birthday for sli but considering i cant find the same card anywhere else and the most recent ebay auction got up to $600 for it (it was well used as well) i decided just to ask for a 980ti kingpin or one of the higher end 980ti but my dad got me a titan x in staid the only downside is he got it when it was back ordered so he bought about a month ago and its shipping to me next week.

problem with the titan X is the now obsolete and far from adequate reference cooler they slap on it...i hope you have plans to watercool the card.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

problem with the titan X is the now obsolete and far from adequate reference cooler they slap on it...i hope you have plans to watercool the card.

it comes water cooled (at least the version i go)t which i am going to use until the inwin case comes and all my parts for a full loop come 

2 Ideas; Either 1000 Series (I mean the 980 came out almost a year ago now) or possibly 990/TITAN XYZ (Dual GPU card) or 990m 

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Props to you guys - I was just messing with you guys. I just bought an MSI 980TI...excited to get my build done next weekend

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |

Props to you guys - I was just messing with you guys.

Props to you - The fast way to be added to peoples ignore list so they wont interact with your posts anymore.

:)

980Ti or bust, the way of the world.

I lost my shit when you said it was ONLY for bragging rights. (Cos your friends can bag you themselves for the shitty purchase over the 980Ti)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Wow first time I joined this forum and sees this... I joined cause of linus youtube vids but now i realise the internet is still the same old internet.

Its just a kid who got over hyped and wanted to show off in this forum, common ppl, he wanted attention and he got exactly that. ^_^

well i guess i know what happend with luke and nvidia 

Props to you - The fast way to be added to peoples ignore list so they wont interact with your posts anymore.

I lost my shit when you said it was ONLY for bragging rights. (Cos your friends can bag you themselves for the shitty purchase over the 980Ti)

? I am confused by your post...when did I say anything about bragging rights?

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |

i did not mean only bragging rights just added it to list i was trying to justify my dads purchase of the titan over the 980ti

? I am confused by your post...when did I say anything about bragging rights?

he was referring to me 

Who cares what Luke is doing? I don't.

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

Why not just get a 980 Ti and get a CPU Upgrade?

"The REVISED Companion Cube, v2.1" - "1440p, lock on." Discover it by clicking here.   // Peripherals - Corsair Strafe RGB  + Steelseries Rival

CPU - i7-6700k // Motherboard - ASRock Z170 Extreme 6+ // CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i GTX // Memory - 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2133 (2x8GB) // Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 1TB // Graphics - Crossfire Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X // PSU -  EVGA SuperNova G2 850W // Case - Corsair Carbide Air 540 (Steel) // Devices - iPhone 6 Plus, Macbook Pro //

waste of money. 

get two 980 Ti's instead. two cards are better than one.

No they are not. VRAM doesnt stack.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

why buy the kingpin when i can get the titan x with 6gb more vram and close clock speed for the same amount of money 

For one, the Titan X is required by Nvidia to use the reference cooler, and as a result it throttles often. Of it's max boost clock of 1215 MHz, it sat around 1088–1189 MHz in the games in Anandtech's review. In fact, the Titan X never reached 1215 MHz at any point in their testing suite. The 980 Ti Kingpin comes clocked 200 MHz faster (which is a lot in the GPU world, by the way) and it's actually even higher than that when you consider that it's cooler will do a better job of letting it hit it's max boost clock when you're playing a game.

Furthermore, 12 GB of memory is truly a waste of money. The 980 Ti's 6 GB is already overkill, even at 4K:

http://techreport.com/blog/28800/how-much-video-memory-is-enough

i want the 12 gb of vram and its mostly for bragging rights over my friends xD

Instead of spending the extra $350 on the Titan X, spend it on two whores and brag to your friends about the 3-way you did.

No they are not. VRAM doesnt stack.

read below.

two 980 Ti's will perform better than a titan X, and just because it isn't as much VRAM as a titan doesnt mean it's not better in terms of performance. 

for the same money i'd rather have two 980 Ti's plus we still don't know how DX12 will treat VRAM. 

For one, the Titan X is required by Nvidia to use the reference cooler, and it does throttle often. Of it's max boost clock of 1215 MHz, it usually sat around 1080–1189 MHz in the games in Anandtech's review. In fact, the Titan X never reached 1215 MHz at any point in their testing suite. The 980 Ti Kingpin comes clocked 200 MHz faster (which is a lot in the GPU world, by the way) and it's actually even higher than that when you consider that it's cooler will do a better job of letting it hit it's max boost clock when you're playing a game.

Furthermore, 12 GB of memory is truly a waste of money. The 980 Ti's 6 GB is still overkill, even at 4K:

what this guy said^^^

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

read below.

two 980 Ti's will perform better than a titan X, and just because it isn't as much VRAM as a titan doesnt mean it's not better in terms of performance. 

for the same money i'd rather have two 980 Ti's plus we still don't know how DX12 will treat VRAM. 

what this guy said^^^

I have one 980Ti and it outperforms a TitanX. I dont get your point.. :blink:

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I have one 980Ti and it outperforms a TitanX. I dont get your point.. :blink:

exactly, so why buy a titanX if the only difference is more VRAM? if you have the money and want to brag, brag that you have two top-tier cards powering your machine. 

my point is that OP should not buy the titanX because the 980Ti out performs it. the extra expense is not worth it simply for "bragging rights"

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

exactly, so why buy a titanX if the only difference is more VRAM? if you have the money and want to brag, brag that you have two top-tier cards powering your machine. 

my point is that OP should not buy the titanX because the 980Ti out performs it. the extra expense is not worth it simply for "bragging rights"

I missunderstood you than.

I agree on your last statement.

For one, the Titan X is required by Nvidia to use the reference cooler, and as a result it throttles often. Of it's max boost clock of 1215 MHz, it sat around 1088–1189 MHz in the games in Anandtech's review. In fact, the Titan X never reached 1215 MHz at any point in their testing suite. The 980 Ti Kingpin comes clocked 200 MHz faster (which is a lot in the GPU world, by the way) and it's actually even higher than that when you consider that it's cooler will do a better job of letting it hit it's max boost clock when you're playing a game.

Furthermore, 12 GB of memory is truly a waste of money. The 980 Ti's 6 GB is already overkill, even at 4K:

actually you can get non reference coolers for example the hybrid its just reference pcb also if you read the post before it was a gift its not like im going to sell or reject a gift from my dad