Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
6 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

There are legal definitions, but the BATFE (for some reason that I have yet to figure out) is allowed to arbitrarily interpret those definitions as it wishes, and occasionally changes it's mind on what may or may not be legal. 

Like how they recently reclassified bump stocks as machine guns, despite the fact that they aren't even guns, and don't come even close to the legal definition of a machine gun. 

Odd, the UK just banned them as mechanical means of increasing fire rate or something like that. Our definitions are at least quite straightforward, it's just the restrictions on those definitions that are somewhat arguable/annoying. 

On 12/17/2020 at 10:19 AM, Real_PhillBert said:

Just a quick heads up for anyone here who may or may not own a "Pistol" with a stabilizing brace, the ATF may be changing it's opinion on braces, and reclassifying them as stocks. If they do that, your "pistol" is suddenly an unregistered NFA item, which is a felony. You'll have to file a Form 1 with the ATF to register it as an SBR, at least they appear to be waiving the $200 tax though. 

https://blog.princelaw.com/2020/12/16/atf-to-institute-rulemaking-regarding-stabilizing-braces-and-require-registration-of-currently-owned-braces/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Here is the direct link to the ATF page

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/12/18/2020-27857/objective-factors-for-classifying-weapons-with-stabilizing-braces#addresses

Here is where to comment on the proposal

https://www.regulations.gov/comment?D=ATF-2020-0001-0001 

37 minutes ago, george357 said:

37 minutes ago, george357 said:

Here is where to comment on the proposal

https://www.regulations.gov/comment?D=ATF-2020-0001-0001 

I commented. 

Comment tracking number:

1k4-9kq4-fqey

Basically said "make all guns one category. Automatic guns are reasonable to require a license. The rest is rediculous." 

lOvE mY hIgH pOiNt C9

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

On 12/18/2020 at 10:07 PM, george357 said:

On 12/18/2020 at 10:46 PM, fpo said:

I commented. 

Comment tracking number:

1k4-9kq4-fqey

Basically said "make all guns one category. Automatic guns are reasonable to require a license. The rest is rediculous." 

My comment:

I whole heartedly and completely disagree with the continued and absolutely arbitrary changes the ATF makes at its own will to the guidance and regulation regarding what is and what is not subject to the NFA. Forcing existing pistol brace owners to register their pistols as short barreled rifles is not only a gross overreach of government authority, but it is a bad faith decision not keeping with previous ATF policy. The pubic cannot be expected adhere to the law when law enforcement agencies take it upon themselves to continually and arbitrarily change their position on the law. I see it as much preferable to the public, that the ATF use its resources not to arbitrarily change its position on existing law, burdening law abiding citizens with needless bureaucratic red tape or worse yet felony convictions, but to concentrate and dedicate itself to the pursuit of actual gun crime. The primary, and sole, roll of any law enforcement agency is to enforce the law, not interpret to the law.

I'm no wordsmith, but I tried to get my point across. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

My comment:

Very well written! This is the type of comment that get the point across. I encourage everyone to make well thought out comments and urge others to do so as well. When they tried to ban m855 ball ammo one of the major factor that stopped the effort was over 80k comments on a proposal similar to this.

Some guidelines on posting:

Do not use fake information. Fake names and other info automatically kick the comments from consideration.

Don't use foul language. Posts with F this and F that will get kicked out and just serve to cast a bad light onto the firearms community

No copy and paste. Using the same comments over and over will get them kicked as spam.

It is well worth the effort to take the 5 minutes or so to comment if those comments are thoughtful and not full of conjecture, conspiracy and foul language. 

4 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

My comment:

Make everyone a criminal and then no one will tell the truth. 

*Insert prohibition references here*

On 9/13/2015 at 6:09 PM, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

Im all for the L96 with 30 caliber armor piercing rounds

I hate 30 cal, just say 7.62 🤣

always throwing me off, “30mm awp what in the fuck”

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

7 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

I hate 30 cal, just say 7.62 🤣

always throwing me off, “30mm awp what in the fuck”

What about 5.6mm? 

nearly 50,000 comments on the ATF notice. good job guys.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

17 hours ago, Velcade said:

This is great to see, goes to show how effective comments can be. Seems like they had of 60k comments in 6 days! 

2 hours ago, george357 said:

This is great to see, goes to show how effective comments can be. Seems like they had of 60k comments in 6 days! 

Absolutely! I think @Real_PhillBertcomment sealed the deal and the ATF gave up for now. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know of any companies that make good/reliable replicas of historic/rare firearms that function?

I was thinking of buying a Mauser K98 or something but I don't want to deal with 8mm mauser availability nor do I want to deal with collector prices/having something really old that might break & make me sad.
I thought I could find a modern caliber replica like a K98 in 5.56 or something, but I wasn't able to find anything that wasn't 1,000 USD and western. It seems all replicas are western/cowboy firearms and extremely expensive.

Is there a company out there that does this niche production? Modern caliber or original caliber fully functional replicas.

11 minutes ago, fpo said:

Anyone know of any companies that make good/reliable replicas of historic/rare firearms that function?

I was thinking of buying a Mauser K98 or something but I don't want to deal with 8mm mauser availability nor do I want to deal with collector prices/having something really old that might break & make me sad.
I thought I could find a modern caliber replica like a K98 in 5.56 or something, but I wasn't able to find anything that wasn't 1,000 USD and western. It seems all replicas are western/cowboy firearms and extremely expensive.

Is there a company out there that does this niche production? Modern caliber or original caliber fully functional replicas.

Zastava was making K98 clone rifles called a Z98 (I believe) a few years back, but they were drilled and tapped and had sporter contour barrels on them. As far as a full-stocked K98 military clone? Not sure if anyone except a custom shop does that.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

1 minute ago, atxcyclist said:

Zastava was making K98 clone rifles a few years back, but they were drilled and tapped and had sporter contour barrels on them. As far as a full-stocked K98 military clone? Not sure if anyone except a custom shop does that.

Just checked their website & didn't see any rifles. They seem to make a Tokaravik pistol. TT something replica though:

I'll ask some gun stores next time I'm in one if they have any zastava replicas. Thanks!

If I were to google for these things, what would I even search? I tried reproductions, functional replica, so on. Maybe there's a special word in the fire-arms industry for this that I don't know? I'll try clone, but I may have done that already.

Spoiler

First 4 pistols
image.thumb.png.59e636be30d0ab36dc3dd545e7b412d9.png

1 hour ago, fpo said:

Doubt anybody would spend the millions of dollars to reverse engineer a K-98 when there are literally 10's of thousands of originals around for under $1000.  If you wanted the least expensive version of a rifle that looks like a K-98 do a search for the Yugo M.48 or any of the Czech or Yugo K-98 rifles.  They don't bring the premium that German guns do.  Your gonna be stuck with 8mm Mauser though as it's pretty much the only thing they were ever chambered in. 

2 hours ago, fpo said:

Just checked their website & didn't see any rifles. They seem to make a Tokaravik pistol. TT something replica though:

I'll ask some gun stores next time I'm in one if they have any zastava replicas. Thanks!

If I were to google for these things, what would I even search? I tried reproductions, functional replica, so on. Maybe there's a special word in the fire-arms industry for this that I don't know? I'll try clone, but I may have done that already.

Reveal hidden contents

First 4 pistols
image.thumb.png.59e636be30d0ab36dc3dd545e7b412d9.png

Honestly, if you are looking to get into a milsurp that's usable and in a reasonable to get caliber, a Springfield M1903 or 03A3, or an Enfield 1917 would be my choices I'd look at. All in .30-06 which is incredibly common. 7mm Mauser or 7x57 is much more common than 8mm Mauser here, and Mauser made the 1893 and 1895 models in 7x57. 

Mosins are cool, but they were a lot cooler when they were $99 and you could get 440 rounds of surplus for $39. I miss those days...

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

@vf1000ride @atxcyclist ahh okay. I did see some south american Kar for like $250 before April 2020. 

I wasn't super into the collection of military surplus. I just wanted something semi practical that I could get modern production ammo for that looked classic. 

The last thing I really want is an antique I can't use that has no sentimental value. 

Maybe I'll skip on it then. 

Thanks for the information! If I want any classic rifles I want to use, I'll just get the airsoft version haha. Ammo is way way cheaper. 

8 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

Honestly, if you are looking to get into a milsurp that's usable and in a reasonable to get caliber, a Springfield M1903 or 03A3, or an Enfield 1917 would be my choices I'd look at. All in .30-06 which is incredibly common. 7mm Mauser or 7x57 is much more common than 8mm Mauser here, and Mauser made the 1893 and 1895 models in 7x57. 

Mosins are cool, but they were a lot cooler when they were $99 and you could get 440 rounds of surplus for $39. I miss those days...

Back when I was in college Fleet Farm had a sale when you could buy a surplus mosin, and a 1200 round crate of surplus 7.62x54R for $200. Three of my buddies and myself all picked one up and spent the day at a public range challenging eachother to shoot offs. It was stupid fun. The rifles were all crap, mismatched parts, shot out barrels, bolts so tight you had to slap that bitch like a russian whore, and the accuracy of a 4 year old pitcher, but it was fun. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

7 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Back when I was in college Fleet Farm had a sale when you could buy a surplus mosin, and a 1200 round crate of surplus 7.62x54R for $200. The of my buddies and myself all picked one up and spent the day at a public range challenging eachother to shoot offs. It was stupid fun. The rifles were all crap, mismatched parts, shot out barrels, bolts so tight you had to slap that bitch like a russian whore, and the accuracy of a 4 year old pitcher, but it was fun. 

You're probably the 50th user like that Russian whore, so it's realistic. 

You still have that rifle? 

1 minute ago, fpo said:

You're probably the 50th user like that Russian whore, so it's realistic. 

You still have that rifle? 

Sadly, I do not. Once I emptied my crate of ammo I sold it off to another buddy.

On 1/6/2021 at 9:36 AM, fpo said:

@vf1000ride @atxcyclist ahh okay. I did see some south american Kar for like $250 before April 2020. 

I wasn't super into the collection of military surplus. I just wanted something semi practical that I could get modern production ammo for that looked classic. 

The last thing I really want is an antique I can't use that has no sentimental value. 

Maybe I'll skip on it then. 

Thanks for the information! If I want any classic rifles I want to use, I'll just get the airsoft version haha. Ammo is way way cheaper. 

The vintage stuff is kinda my jam, I have a bunch of old wood guns.  The K-98 rifles can occasionally be found that someone changed a barrel and might be in a more modern caliber but most people that collect and shoot them want them in original condition/caliber.  If you wanted a Mauser style action and didn't specifically need the K-98 what Atxcyclist mentioned isn't a bad thing either.  The US made 1903 rifles are a Mauser copy and chambered in .30-06  I have one and it's a great shooting rifle.  The 1917 rifle (.30-06) is the US copy of the British P14 redesign (.303 British) of a Mauser action and is probably a better gun than either the 1903 or the K-98.  I'm biased though as I have a few of the 1917/P14 rifles as well.

Picture of my Springfield 1903.

IMG_5544.JPG

10 minutes ago, vf1000ride said:

The vintage stuff is kinda my jam, I have a bunch of old wood guns.  The K-98 rifles can occasionally be found that someone changed a barrel and might be in a more modern caliber but most people that collect and shoot them want them in original condition/caliber.  If you wanted a Mauser style action and didn't specifically need the K-98 what Atxcyclist mentioned isn't a bad thing either.  The US made 1903 rifles are a Mauser copy and chambered in .30-06  I have one and it's a great shooting rifle.  The 1917 rifle (.30-06) is the US copy of the British P14 redesign (.303 British) of a Mauser action and is probably a better gun than either the 1903 or the K-98.  I'm biased though as I have a few of the 1917/P14 rifles as well.

Picture of my Springfield 1903.

IMG_5544.JPG

I forgot about the springfield. 

Do they make .30_06 bullets in decent numbers anymore? 

Is the price also decent or is the price stupid? My baseline for ammo is wolf 7.62x39. $250~ 1,000 rds. 

556/223 pre 2020 was like 300/1000. 

Edit:

I don't want a gun that's a bajillion dollars to buy and then basically can't get ammo for it in 20 years and then the ammo that is available is stupid expensive. 

I know I can buy another gun in 20 years, but why bother buying a gun I can't use anyway? Y'know.