Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
10 hours ago, LordVetinari said:

As the correct number of guns is always n+1 where n = the number of guns currently owned; always get something bigger than you think you need. (It's also good to be able get stuff in and out without knocking it and everything in the safe around)

I currently have 0.

I plan on getting a 9mm and a 45mm pistols, and a bolt rifle, when anything decent comes back in stock.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

15 hours ago, Sarra said:

I currently have 0.

I plan on getting a 9mm and a 45mm pistols, and a bolt rifle, when anything decent comes back in stock.

See you say that now.... 

But then you will be like - well a nice little .22 for some cheap range chucking at the local indoor makes sense to start with, then maybe a cheaper/rougher one for some vermin bashing (can't be taking those nice optics outside for that kind of thing). Then a .338 Lap for long range work. Then a .357 or 30-30 lever action, because who doesn't want one of those. Then an AR platform for all your modding and rail needs, probably a couple of these because you can't be doing with swapping sights all the time. Frankly by this stage you also need an AK variant for a fair comparison and Dave is selling that one with a peli case dirt cheap with loads of spares.

At that point you may as well get a shotgun - probably a cheap Mossy 500 to start with, then you realise that actually they are quite fun as well so start looking at perhaps an Ithaca 37 for that old school pump work. Then you realise that a rifled barrel on a 20 gauge and slugs are good for deer, but then black powder is really fun and opens out your season that much more so why not both. Bit of an historical itch now, need to scratch that with an old .303. By this time you are already stocking 12 and 20 gauge, so that little 16 or lever .410 your friend Steve at the range is flogging doesn't really make any difference. Then you realise that duck is tasty as hell, the venerable Mossy is probably up to the task but if you are doing marsh work then a synthetic cammo'd Winchester SX semi-auto at the local store basically has your name on it and just makes sense. By this point the skeet ground two towns over has your attention, you go with a friend for a laugh after work in July, that basically leads to your Beretta DT10 break action for the flash and nice bit of timber at reasonable cost and just that extra little bit of heft you need when chucking 100 cartridges down range in quick succession. But then you think the balance is just a little off and it just isn't coming up as cleanly as you would like and there's that adjustable 694 in the club shop....     

And that's before you even start on the point where the trigger on that 9mm really isn't working for you, so you reasonably need about 3 more to try. Probably also sensible to have an 'old reliable' 9mm for carrying when out hunting for the last rites - just in case of course. The sight picture on that .45 is just bugging you a bit as well..... 

Before you know it you have enough fire power to conquer Belgium and are divorced. Lots and lots of rabbit holes to go down with gun ownership..... hope you are prepared!  

7 hours ago, LordVetinari said:

Before you know it you have enough fire power to conquer Belgium and are divorced.

rofl Belgium is a pushover, and I've been single now for more than 10 years.

I also have a very limited space, and my landlord is okay with a small number of firearms, but an arsenal capable of overthrowing North Korea is a bit more than they will tolerate. I have physical space for a reasonably small safe, and I absolutely do not want anything unsecured while I'm not home.

1 hour ago, Sarra said:

rofl Belgium is a pushover, and I've been single now for more than 10 years.

I also have a very limited space, and my landlord is okay with a small number of firearms, but an arsenal capable of overthrowing North Korea is a bit more than they will tolerate. I have physical space for a reasonably small safe, and I absolutely do not want anything unsecured while I'm not home.

Unfortunately, any small safe is going to run into a problem: if it's small, someone can just pick it up and walk away with it or just bring a little hand truck to do the job.  So make sure you get a safe that you can bolt to the floor (and actually bolt it).  

Having said that, I'm happy with my Liberty Safe.  Their smallest model costs $600 (and it's probably bigger than you were looking for), but you get a very nice, secure, fireproof safe that can store just about anything you've got in addition to firearms.  

https://www.libertysafe.com/collections/gun-safes

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

6 hours ago, Rybo said:

I'm happy with my Liberty Safe. 

Same here, I have a Liberty Franklin series that was rebranded as a Timber Ridge safe.  Older model so it's the 23 gun size, it's heavy but not impossible to move yourself.  Certainly agree with others that you need to bolt it down to the floor so if someone is so determined to take it they gotta take the floor with it.

IMG_0460.JPG

On 1/6/2021 at 10:03 AM, fpo said:

You still have that rifle? 

I love my Mosin. Yes, they are Soviet milsurp so it takes a lot of finesse to make it sort of accurate, but there is something about having to overcome the terrible Soviet machining  to make it behave, or submit to your will.

I want another one, something I can wrench on, so to speak, but not at current prices.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

8 hours ago, Rybo said:

Unfortunately, any small safe is going to run into a problem: if it's small, someone can just pick it up and walk away with it or just bring a little hand truck to do the job.  So make sure you get a safe that you can bolt to the floor (and actually bolt it).  

Having said that, I'm happy with my Liberty Safe.  Their smallest model costs $600 (and it's probably bigger than you were looking for), but you get a very nice, secure, fireproof safe that can store just about anything you've got in addition to firearms.  

https://www.libertysafe.com/collections/gun-safes

Ah yeah, that's what I was looking for. Thanks. 😄

Hum, I have a concrete floor I could bolt it to. Theft isn't a huge issue here, though this place isn't immune to it. No safe is 100% secure. I watch Lockpicking lawyer on youtube, so I kind of understand the concept behind having safes and locks, how essentially a safe is a balance between time, cost, and value (the longer and harder it is for a thief to steal, the more likely it is that they will abort the theft of it). I really do like the Fire Resistance of that, it adds cost, but at the same time, it also adds a lot of value. I have 3 fire resistant lock boxes, and at least two of them could be completely thrown away if I got a safe.

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

I love my Mosin. Yes, they are Soviet milsurp so it takes a lot of finesse to make it sort of accurate, but there is something about having to overcome the terrible Soviet machining  to make it behave, or submit to your will.

I want another one, something I can wrench on, so to speak, but not at current prices.

I've done a little bit of non-permanent or not obvious stuff to mine, but I've never really tried it for grouping. It has a decent bore, very minimal frosting in there. I did do a full cleanout on the chamber after I got it to keep the bolt sticking to a minimum. Hunted a few deer and my share of feral hogs with it, it's a decent rifle. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

5 hours ago, Sarra said:

Ah yeah, that's what I was looking for. Thanks. 😄

Hum, I have a concrete floor I could bolt it to. Theft isn't a huge issue here, though this place isn't immune to it. No safe is 100% secure. I watch Lockpicking lawyer on youtube, so I kind of understand the concept behind having safes and locks, how essentially a safe is a balance between time, cost, and value (the longer and harder it is for a thief to steal, the more likely it is that they will abort the theft of it). I really do like the Fire Resistance of that, it adds cost, but at the same time, it also adds a lot of value. I have 3 fire resistant lock boxes, and at least two of them could be completely thrown away if I got a safe.

I am from a different country and while gun safes aren't technically required by law but realistically they are the easiest way to comply with them. 

Any safe used has to comply with certain requirements such a number of locking points, number and type of wall/floor fixings, thickness of steel, type of hinge etc etc. Despite all that the police guidance document acknowledge that at best it would only take 30 minutes to break into one. Basically its long enough to put of 99.9% of your average home burglary's that they will focus on something else.   

I have seen Buffalo River safes over here and in the US that look the part. I am guessing you guys wont have easy access to Brattonsound and GDK? 

My gun safe goals are something like this: Grandfather Clock Gun Cabinet | The Bespoke Gun Cabinet Company or Bench Seat Gun Cabinet | The Bespoke Gun Cabinet Company

Also - all joking aside do get the largest safe you can. I currently have 4 guns in a 2 gun safe and its a bit of a jigsaw puzzle getting them in and out. Not having to worry about bashing things around is quite nice. 

7 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

I've done a little bit of non-permanent or not obvious stuff to mine, but I've never really tried it for grouping. It has a decent bore, very minimal frosting in there. I did do a full cleanout on the chamber after I got it to keep the bolt sticking to a minimum. Hunted a few deer and my share of feral hogs with it, it's a decent rifle. 

I believe there are more YT videos devoted to Mosin Nagants and getting them under control (fixing the sticking bolts, accuracy, etc) than all other gun videos combined. It seems every gun enthusiast has an opinion on MNs and what to do with them, with the vast majority of the ones I've seen say "chuck it, not worth it" and a few say "diamond in the rough"

As with anything, the answer is largely "well it depends"

Can you get MOA from one? Yes. Will it be easy? Heck no. But therein lies the fun...the challenge of it all.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

14 hours ago, vf1000ride said:

Same here, I have a Liberty Franklin series that was rebranded as a Timber Ridge safe.  Older model so it's the 23 gun size, it's heavy but not impossible to move yourself.  Certainly agree with others that you need to bolt it down to the floor so if someone is so determined to take it they gotta take the floor with it.

IMG_0460.JPG

I have a hell of a time finding safes these days that aren't electronic.

On 2/3/2021 at 5:34 AM, LordVetinari said:

Then a .338 Lap for long range work

So I see that you're rich...

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

On Sunday we did some tests shooting all the different self defense ammo we could get our hands on in 12ga caliber (fletchets, cubics, discs, 00 buck, 000 buck, 0000 buck, dragonsbreath, flamethrower, etc) - we took video...we set a bit of stuff on fire, lots of smoke, some tyrant targets of deceased tyrants, etc - Ill see if I cant get some raw footage shots to post on here it was a blast (next outting we plan on tanerite and a 50 cal, blow something up like a lawn mower or 4wheeler).  The video is for youtube content so I dont think I can post the full video here however once the editor is done with it.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

14 hours ago, vf1000ride said:

IMG_0460.JPG

Oooo, I like the color of the furniture on it.  I got a limited edition model of their Colonial.  It's freakin' gorgeous.  Could live without the electronic lock, but as someone else mentioned...good luck getting anything else.  One thing about safes in general that I learned as a result of this purchase is that their gun count is...optimistic.  I have like 4 long guns in this sucker an I'm already havin' to work to get a gun out of the back of it.  

hi9KUcw5ssuuMltYcTRc5Prq3kJQpGe9EZq1lfbD4uklQNzkr4yGbPDqUpydTysgMBYqeg6iZ0iW_ZhqrUY_gqrpNvY9Nna3co0XNRhXcu5uAmkRMYYh5hmpBRvQ875lHYje2Ov-iLSUAqZFnnuEbH4Ir6zSPi13QiO2URNuUAgYFk9tTflR6HYa2hcC_NpK9jW2OAACXS-ocGOC_MTwrQl4ZZdXpWWeyIoIWGC-B5XbiYqMQma47IebTx3gDTg7BRAMlKQyk4R7iX_C_0l140JMvd0JPIFVM6JwnMIoXIOUSR3IsUzcovSa6T34tFgddO_VGIh8JwGWH3NjDusDoytrb18A8ZKNc_jlpJ1iW8k_3A2X6wqWTyFy193mwUxYWl9Tnp6HzZfUk-7hw-C0my_A1DhSkiNWETdzv7UgEmI1kYE3gqs2NxShZpUaP-ELgeT-I7bllKfmflE1NiDb9ExogL_D8YngVOuB7H9u41SYtcEq8aDm8RLOrcW5MoUUitrLx0n1a7nvHTkp0obqJAwa5B7Peol0DKOrqapKmE7WOmK_g4V82sYGwoyaSVDNNNPPvFjBQPA5_EJuF58fGHmHpkJ-MntRq-D-CP6kEgjVP8OFSJnaFdrzQpk_jyppOUhw5EcxMRmH-3aG5z5Ld9Z1vypqEwmODXsFRLFe9hti6tC662vKmGGYXPPp2g=w1408-h1876-no?authuser=0

#Muricaparrotgang

Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

21 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Just got a (relatively) awesome deal on some ammo.  $20/box for 9mm (10 boxes) and $25 for 555 rds of .22lr.  Kept the 9mm for myself and sold the .22lr to my pastor.  It feels good to have extra ammo again.

WHERE?  HOW?  I've been seeing 9mm for under 80 cents per round and seriously considered stocking up on it.  $20 per box is damn near...normal!  Assuming 50rds per box, I guess.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

2 hours ago, Rybo said:

WHERE?  HOW?  I've been seeing 9mm for under 80 cents per round and seriously considered stocking up on it.  $20 per box is damn near...normal!  Assuming 50rds per box, I guess.  

A fellow member of the local firearm owners group I belong to was getting rid of some excess.  Not sure why, but I wasn't about to complain.

Just bought a slab of 16ga - £91 ($125) 😒 really need to get me a press and start reloading. 

Had to beat the inevitable 15%+ price rise that will be coming though. 

2 minutes ago, LordVetinari said:

Had to beat the inevitable 15%+ price rise that will be coming though.

What's going on over in pound country that will cause such an increase? 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Just now, Velcade said:

What's going on over in pound country that will cause such an increase? 

Brexit. 

A lot of our cartridges are imported from Italy and France where we no longer enjoy tax free trade. They may get around to including firearms and ammunition into free trade agreements at some point but realistically its a tiny trade in comparison to others and a long way down that list. Also manufacturing has been hit badly from the pandemic.  

Plus the ones that are made here all require raw materials, lead, tungsten, plastic wads from china etc etc that all caught up in general pandemic crap of high delivery charges. 

Most manufacturers are bumping prices at around 15% from March.   

Just now, LordVetinari said:

Brexit

I forgot about that.  Honestly I thought it was finished.  Fell off our news cycle rather quickly. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Just now, Velcade said:

I forgot about that.  Honestly I thought it was finished.  Fell off our news cycle rather quickly. 

Its only just begun really, most retailers (of all kinds) had stockpiles based on the old pricing so could hold back on raising prices for a few months. That's kind of run out now so things are starting to go up. 

Don't get me wrong - its not like we are using wheelbarrows of cash to buy bread, but you are seeing prices go up a few cents on the dollar here and there.  Luxury items and the slightly obscure (like ammo) are taking the full brunt though.  

I really thought it would start getting better right around this time, but I just learned its only getting worse. I know at least one ammo producer just completely ran out of their primer stockpile and had to start limiting employee's OT because there aren't enough coming in to keep them as busy as they'd like. About a month ago it was going to to take until May 2022 to catch up to the current backorders at the current production, which is now less... this might be a several year long ammo drought.

I never wanted to be one of those guys who hordes hundreds of thousands of rounds of ammo, but I'm sure regretting it right now... Took a few months, but I finally got ahold of two boxes of .270, so hopefully I've got enough for an upcoming hog hunt.

In other news, was at my parents to grab some 6.5CM and found a box of 500 Nitro Express in the safe. I've never seen it in person before and pictures really don't do it justice, that is a .223 next to it.

20210214_150410.thumb.jpg.dd269b61a89057b81ae3ca773dcda1d3.jpg

35 minutes ago, Scheer said:

I really thought it would start getting better right around this time, but I just learned its only getting worse. I know at least one ammo producer just completely ran out of their primer stockpile and had to start limiting employee's OT because there aren't enough coming in to keep them as busy as they'd like. About a month ago it was going to to take until May 2022 to catch up to the current backorders at the current production, which is now less... this might be a several year long ammo drought.

I never wanted to be one of those guys who hordes hundreds of thousands of rounds of ammo, but I'm sure regretting it right now... Took a few months, but I finally got ahold of two boxes of .270, so hopefully I've got enough for an upcoming hog hunt.

In other news, was at my parents to grab some 6.5CM and found a box of 500 Nitro Express in the safe. I've never seen it in person before and pictures really don't do it justice, that is a .223 next to it.

20210214_150410.thumb.jpg.dd269b61a89057b81ae3ca773dcda1d3.jpg

Do you have a Holland & Holland in there? Who just has a box of .500 Nitro sitting around, especially since that's probably a $200 box of ammo, haha.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

2 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

Do you have a Holland & Holland in there? Who just has a box of .500 Nitro sitting around, especially since that's probably a $200 box of ammo, haha.

I didn't ask, just randomly found it in there while sorting boxes. I'd assume its from one of my brothers as they like collecting weird ammo.